LAWKS! It’s the Next Announcement Thread 2022!

jparx

6 minutes ago, Cam91 said:

So many high horses being sat on... 'I am happy to pay but PEOPLE wont be'. 

Forgot everyone outside of this forum doesn't like music, Glastonbury or having fun. They're all poor and ignorant just give their tickets back each year when the Oasis reunion isn't named as headlining....

(Everyone I know who goes and doesn't come on this forum has paid happily and hasn't mentioned a thing FWIW)

Same.

Some of the worst sort of gatekeeping on this thread. It's really not unreasonable to want some sort of indication what you're shelling out £300 for. You've been before and happy to pay, and can afford to part with that money blind? Good for you, I'm one of those fortunate people too. Not everyone is in the same boat though, and for some people perhaps the lineup is everything.

• Upvote 13

It’s not being on a high horse to acknowledge that there are people out there who’d like to know the lineup before paying. It doesn’t mean they hate music or fun or are poor.

Most of my group would happily pay their balance every year regardless. Some haven’t in the past when the lineup has come out and they’d rather go elsewhere.

It’s so weird looking at comments on the Facebook post or Glasto Chat where someone will ask about the lineup coming and freaks will reply like “Don’t pay up then!!! I and many others would be happy to take your ticket!!”

Utterly strange behaviour. It’s a festival, like many others in the world, not some divine place where you should just be grateful you’re allowed to go.

Personally, I’d be happy with the lineup not coming this week. I’m trying in the resale so the more people who don’t pay off their balance the better for me.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Somto Unigwe Raphael said:

It’s not being on a high horse to acknowledge that there are people out there who’d like to know the lineup before paying. It doesn’t mean they hate music or fun or are poor.

Most of my group would happily pay their balance every year regardless. Some haven’t in the past when the lineup has come out and they’d rather go elsewhere.

It’s so weird looking at comments on the Facebook post or Glasto Chat where someone will ask about the lineup coming and freaks will reply like “Don’t pay up then!!! I and many others would be happy to take your ticket!!”

Utterly strange behaviour. It’s a festival, like many others in the world, not some divine place where you should just be grateful you’re allowed to go.

Personally, I’d be happy with the lineup not coming this week. I’m trying in the resale so the more people who don’t pay off their balance the better for me.

Exactly - we all have our lives and scenarios. And I hope the festival understand this too (I think they do).

Just to add, I know it's not Glastonbury but I once bought a ticket for Sziget knowing no lineup based on the strength of previous year which i was also at. First year had stone roses, korn, snoop dogs, killer, placebo, the xx.

Year buying blind was Franz ferdinand, blur, biffy and editors, with a massive final headliner announcement of MIKA.

1 hour ago, Riggins said:

I still think my idea of sending an artist name at random to each of us once we pay our balance letting us piece it all together like a jigsaw would be a fun way of doing it 

I just got a blank space ..... Taylor swift confirmed .... if only 🙂 

• Like 1

I'm not really disagreeing with that point about some wanting to know before paying though. The organisers 'should' or 'shouldn't' do anything in particular like people are not even suggesting but just outright declaring... it is just what it is and up to each individual to decide for themselves... there are people out there who would like to know the lineup, yes. There are also people out there who don't need to know (which i clearly think is the vast majority). Most people who go to Glastonbury are the same as all of us on here. 

Facebook is also a very weird place. 

3 hours ago, Somto Unigwe Raphael said:

People on here are mental about Glasto tbh. How can you be surprised or think it’s weird that some people don’t want to hand over £300 for a festival where they don’t even know who’s playing? Get in the real world.

It’s more my perception of some of the posts I’ve seen that seem to suggest that the festival owes them a line up poster and it owes them it now. 

I don’t agree with the view people are being expected to pay £300 when they don’t know what they’re getting. Have a look at any line up from the past, check out some you tube videos. Have a think about how you’ll probably only see 15/20 bands tops and there will be another bunch of bands who you’d like to see but won’t get round to. Have a greater sense of perspective than “If they don’t announce X, I’m not going”. 

If you’re going to see your favourite band, do you demand to see the set list before you buy a ticket? No. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, wilko8 said:

It’s more my perception of some of the posts I’ve seen that seem to suggest that the festival owes them a line up poster and it owes them it now. 

I don’t agree with the view people are being expected to pay £300 when they don’t know what they’re getting. Have a look at any line up from the past, check out some you tube videos. Have a think about how you’ll probably only see 15/20 bands tops and there will be another bunch of bands who you’d like to see but won’t get round to. Have a greater sense of perspective than “If they don’t announce X, I’m not going”. 

If you’re going to see your favourite band, do you demand to see the set list before you buy a ticket? No. 

Great post.

37 minutes ago, Cam91 said:

(Everyone I know who goes and doesn't come on this forum has paid happily and hasn't mentioned a thing FWIW)

Maybe your group is as well but my entire group are first timers - other festivals have incredible lineups this year and for us the headliners aren't all that vs Dave, AM and RATM at Reading for instance or Primavera etc. Its been difficult convincing everyone its worth it and while they are excited for lots of the undercard, people have been dropping out and we still haven't got everyone to pay yet. First timers are so important for the festival continuing and while they have nothing to worry about, it would be great to get something soon

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, gfa said:

Maybe your group is as well but my entire group are first timers - other festivals have incredible lineups this year and for us the headliners aren't all that vs Dave, AM and RATM at Reading for instance or Primavera etc. Its been difficult convincing everyone its worth it and while they are excited for lots of the undercard, people have been dropping out and we still haven't got everyone to pay yet. First timers are so important for the festival continuing and while they have nothing to worry about, it would be great to get something soon

Some are some arent. and i feel @wilko8 has worded what i would say very well already. I feel on the most part people have seen what the festival has offered before lineup wise. 

I really feel this 'people want to know what they're paying for' narrative is just massively over-exaggerating, they know what they're paying for... its not Mr Burns' Mystery box. 

6 minutes ago, wilko8 said:

I haven't read a single post that suggests that at all. Some people have said (mainly in reference to their friends) that they'd be happier paying the money for a ticket if they had more information about who is going to be there. I don't know why you'd consider that unreasonable.

10 minutes ago, wilko8 said:

Again, nobody here has said that. But if they did, especially if they're a first-timer, is that so outrageous? The YouTube videos, television footage etc. is probably why they paid a deposit in the first place. They did it in blind trust, and of course their faith in paying the ticket balance will be more than rewarded, but I really don't see the problem in wanting a bit more than three names before forking out hundreds of pounds.

14 minutes ago, wilko8 said:

You'd quite like to know if they'll be there before you pay though. Not that Glastonbury comes down to who's on the line up for many, but a bit more than 'thanks for waiting two and a half years, that'll be £235 plus postage' would be welcome.

13 minutes ago, Cam91 said:

Some are some arent. and i feel @wilko8 has worded what i would say very well already. I feel on the most part people have seen what the festival has offered before lineup wise. 

I really feel this 'people want to know what they're paying for' narrative is just massively over-exaggerating, they know what they're paying for... its not Mr Burns' Mystery box. 

Shades of grey isn’t it, it’s not one or the other. Everyone on here by definition is going to be happy to pay the balance without any information and then it’s a sliding scale from there.

I know people who have got tickets in the past as first timers and then didn’t bother to pay because they weren’t that impressed with the headliners that had been announced up to that point. Out of 135k people you’re going to get differing views and expectations like you would on any subject.

Obviously Facebook is generally a bin fire, but it’s odd people will dismiss anyones opinion on their and assume it’s trumped by the opinions on here, even though they’re likely to be as extreme in their own way.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton