LAWKS! It’s the Next Announcement Thread 2022!

jparx

5 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Why are people screaming for a poster that will only confirm what they pretty much know anyway.

People need to chill their boots a bit, and if paying £280 for a festival with no line up bothers you so much, don't pay the balance and go to something else you already know the line up for.

I don't think anyone is, we're just on a forum dedicated to talking about Glastonbury festival, in a thread designed to speculate when the announcement will be, and judging from recent history reasonably assuming we might hear something this week.

Just now, jparx said:

If you're happy to pay blind, then more power to you. I just think it's weird to be criticising people and calling them entitled when the festival has set a clear precedent of releasing the lineup before balance payment over the last decade (in line with 99% of other events on the planet).

This.

If people want to see a lineup that's up to them, not sure why that offends people.

Just now, incident said:

I'd also point out that even once you've paid the balance - you can still get a refund up until May 3rd minus the same £25 admin charge if the eventual lineup genuinely does offend.

Spot on. 

Yes we all want the line up, yes its been a long 3 years since the last one, but its coming and before the end of the month you will have your hands on it. 

Whether its on the 3rd March or the 28th March its not going to make much difference, and like Incident says if you don't like the line up when it comes out then get a refund.

1 minute ago, jparx said:

I don't think anyone is, we're just on a forum dedicated to talking about Glastonbury festival, in a thread designed to speculate when the announcement will be, and judging from recent history reasonably assuming we might hear something this week.

Sorry I disagree, a lot of the posts in the last day or two are people moaning about the line up poster not being out and how they expect it to be now they've paid their balance.

1 minute ago, jparx said:

I don't think it's "entitlement" at all to think that the festival would announcement more than 3 names before asking you to pay £250. Glastonbury may have released lineups mere weeks before the festival 20+ years ago, but we've moved on from that. It's a reasonable expectation that most people would have that you know the lineup before you pay, and it's the case for just about every other festival on the planet. I personally don't care and I'll pay regardless, but I do understand why people would be expecting to know what's going on before they fork over a huge amount of money, particularly people going for the first time.

If you're happy to pay blind, then more power to you. I just think it's weird to be criticising people and calling them entitled when the festival has set a clear precedent of releasing the lineup before balance payment over the last decade (in line with 99% of other events on the planet).

Then you have Boomtown that has made the decision to not release any line up information whatsoever before they open the gates.

Some events have a reputation solid enough to operate like this and, in my opinion, Glasto is one of them. 

1 hour ago, wilko8 said:

All this demanding a line up before paying the ticket balance chat is coming across as super weird entitlement. 

if you’re not happy with it, don’t pay. 

The line up won’t exactly match you’re Spotify playlist, but there will still be much more good stuff to see/do than there are hours in your festival day. 

It’s not entitlement but it’s about getting peoples attention. A lot of people live very busy lives and don’t check up on this stuff daily. We are, in fact, a completely niche community.

A lot of people are very disconnected and need big press / PR for it to land on their radar. Some of my group don’t follow rumours at all - they don’t really know who is rumoured or in line.

It’s not entitlement it’s about playing to the market. If there’s no announcement it will simply not be on peoples radar.

Edited by Matt42

2 minutes ago, jparx said:

Exactly. This is the equivalent of people complaining on the headliners thread that others are talking about potential headliners or the Russian invasion on the war thread. 

Are there people on mum's net complaining about other people talking about being mums? 

Nobody here is “demanding” and nobody is “screaming”. Some folks need to tone down the rhetoric. 

I think it’s tough across the board. On the ticket holders side, there’s been a two and a half year wait with a lot of hard times endured between. Of course there’s an expectation for some news (it’s the one part of the calendar there’s been a recent pattern for). £300 is more valuable to most people now than it was in 2020.

For me, it’s not the lack of poster that was disappointing before I paid, it was the lack of anything at all. No excitement, no fanfare, just a dry, administrative ‘OK, you can pay now’. I know expectations are high but it did feel a bit deflating. 

On the festival’s side, it must be chaos. Three years since the last one, with plenty of personnel changes inevitable and juggling bookings in an industry as insecure and unpredictable as it’s ever been. 

1 minute ago, kalifire said:

Nobody here is “demanding” and nobody is “screaming”. Some folks need to tone down the rhetoric. 

I think it’s tough across the board. On the ticket holders side, there’s been a two and a half year wait with a lot of hard times endured between. Of course there’s an expectation for some news (it’s the one part of the calendar there’s been a recent pattern for). £300 is more valuable to most people now than it was in 2020.

For me, it’s not the lack of poster that was disappointing before I paid, it was the lack of anything at all. No excitement, no fanfare, just a dry, administrative ‘OK, you can pay now’. I know expectations are high but it did feel a bit deflating. 

On the festival’s side, it must be chaos. Three years since the last one, with plenty of personnel changes inevitable and juggling bookings in an industry as insecure and unpredictable as it’s ever been. 

For what its worth I think they are still working towards their usual April ish poster as we know the balance payment was only pulled forward due to tax reasons.

Perhaps a 'here's your three headliners, full poster out at the end of the month' might have been a decent half way house point but also, perhaps they don't have KL as everyone seems to expect so are still looking to book someone else....

3 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Exactly. Many of us will be going with others who are simply less enthusiastic than us. These lot need an ultimatum.

Pay up or your missing this. It works wonders. 

11 minutes ago, jparx said:

I don't think it's "entitlement" at all to think that the festival would announcement more than 3 names before asking you to pay £250. Glastonbury may have released lineups mere weeks before the festival 20+ years ago, but we've moved on from that. It's a reasonable expectation that most people would have that you know the lineup before you pay, and it's the case for just about every other festival on the planet. I personally don't care and I'll pay regardless, but I do understand why people would be expecting to know what's going on before they fork over a huge amount of money, particularly people going for the first time.

We've only moved on from that elsewhere as people demand everything earlier and earlier these days to the point that festival tickets (for example Reading and Leeds) go on sale the day after the previous one has finished.

3 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Sorry I disagree, a lot of the posts in the last day or two are people moaning about the line up poster not being out and how they expect it to be now they've paid their balance.

But so what if they were? It isn't an unreasonable request.

Feels like we're getting into dangerous "nobody dare question the festival organisers" territory here.

2 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

For what its worth I think they are still working towards their usual April ish poster as we know the balance payment was only pulled forward due to tax reasons.

Perhaps a 'here's your three headliners, full poster out at the end of the month' might have been a decent half way house point but also, perhaps they don't have KL as everyone seems to expect so are still looking to book someone else....

Emily said the poster is in March

Just now, Hugh Jass II said:

But so what if they were? It isn't an unreasonable request.

Feels like we're getting into dangerous "nobody dare question the festival organisers" territory here.

Perhaps it isn't ready? Anyone thought about that?

As I just said in another post, perhaps the headliners to be announced would have been enough and then fill out the rest at a later date.

I think after holding on to about £7m of customers money for 2.5 years, two forced cancellations and apparently millions of pounds lost as a result, a price increase plus an extra £3m gained in VAT compared to previous years, plus a £10 admin fee it’s not entirely unreasonable for A) people to want to know a little bit more about what they’re paying for and B) to expect the festival to be actively looking to promote what people are paying for a little bit more, or at least as much as they possibly can.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

As I just said in another post, perhaps the headliners to be announced would have been enough and then fill out the rest at a later date.

But that doesn't matter. There's always an alternative. We have got 3 officially confirmed acts currently. You could release another 20 names scattered across a variety of stages and genres and it gives people something to be excited about spending £300 on. We're less than 4 months away from being in the fields.

Another factor here is that Emily has confirmed the lineup poster is coming this month. If we know it's coming in March, I don't think it's unreasonable to think it would (and probably should) come before the payment deadline. If it's going to be ready within 3 weeks, surely they'd got enough together to release it in the next couple days (and the recent slate of self confirmations suggests that's the case).

If Emily hadn't specifically said the lineup poster was coming in March, I'm not sure I'd personally be expecting to hear this week. I'd certainly be hoping for it, but I'd be much less certain.

1 minute ago, gooner1990 said:

I'd be absolutely gobsmacked if they didn't have 50 or so names they could put on to a poster by now, hell we can do that ourselves. As others have said people have been waiting a very long time for this, so yeah there will some antsiness (is that even a word?) starting to creep in, and that's fine.

Every single one of us on here who lives and breathes the festival all year round are happy to pay blindly, and that's great. But it doesn't confer any extra "superfan" status on us and it doesn't give us the right to look down on those who do want to see a little more. 

1 minute ago, George1399 said:

But that doesn't matter. There's always an alternative. We have got 3 officially confirmed acts currently. You could release another 20 names scattered across a variety of stages and genres and it gives people something to be excited about spending £300 on. We're less than 4 months away from being in the fields.

I think the question really is that would it make any difference to you going or not? 

If not, then I personally don't see the big fuss in needing the line up this week.

13 minutes ago, kalifire said:

This is it for me, I’m personally not bothered about paying without the lineup (although I fully get why some people might be) I just think it’s slightly odd that after two forced cancellations there isn’t more fanfare about it actually happening. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Hugh Jass II said:

I'd be absolutely gobsmacked if they didn't have 50 or so names they could put on to a poster by now, hell we can do that ourselves. As others have said people have been waiting a very long time for this, so yeah there will some antsiness (is that even a word?) starting to creep in, and that's fine.

Every single one of us on here who lives and breathes the festival all year round are happy to pay blindly, and that's great. But it doesn't confer any extra "superfan" status on us and it doesn't give us the right to look down on those who do want to see a little more. 

I'm not looking down on anyone, and apologise if its come across that way.

Interestingly we have 12 people going together, none of whom apart from me uses efests and I think only one or two others keep a real track of potential artists...no one is kicking off about the lack of names and we have first-timers coming as well.

1 minute ago, gooner1990 said:

I think the question really is that would it make any difference to you going or not? 

If not, then I personally don't see the big fuss in needing the line up this week.

That just sounds like "This doesn't bother me so you're all crazy for letting it bother you".

I'm on a festival forum of course not knowing isn't going to make a difference to me. But it's the hundreds of thousands of people that aren't on here that must just be feeling fairly mugged off if we don't hear anything before the end of the balance window.

'Give me more of your money trust me it's a great deal' doesn't work on many people