LAWKS! It’s the Next Announcement Thread 2022!

jparx

3 minutes ago, wilko8 said:

All this demanding a line up before paying the ticket balance chat is coming across as super weird entitlement. 

if you’re not happy with it, don’t pay. 

The line up won’t exactly match you’re Spotify playlist, but there will still be much more good stuff to see/do than there are hours in your festival day. 

True to an extent. I definitely think demanding isn't a good look, but I can definitely sympathise with the 'I wanna know what I'm paying for' line. 

1 minute ago, wilko8 said:

All this demanding a line up before paying the ticket balance chat is coming across as super weird entitlement. 

The line up won’t exactly match you’re Spotify playlist, but there will still be much more good stuff to see/do than there are hours in your festival day. 

I don't think it's weird or entitled at all.

Yes, we all know how great the festival is and that the line-up doesn't really matter that much but I can fully understand why people want to know what they're shelling out the best part of £300 for, particularly if you haven't been before.

The whole "well don't go then" thing is all a bit Glasto Chat. Talking of which, I stupidly looked on there yesterday and anyone questioning anything is shot down like a pariah, there were also monorail jokes in loads of responses. Now that is weird. 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, wilko8 said:

I’ve not seen many people demanding a line-up. If they don’t release anything this week then I’m fine with that, I’ve already paid my balance and I know I’ll have a great time. Not everyone is as emotionally invested in the festival as we are though and if you haven’t been before, spending close to £300 (before you even think about the other costs) when you don’t know the line-up might be a big ask, especially after the last two years. As much as this year would be the earliest yet, people have become used to the poster being released before or around the balance window, it’s not surprising that might people might then expect some more names to be released soon.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, PDAD said:

To be fair, Melvin has a long record of making claims that don't end up true. 

You only need to look at the Wireless lineup to see this, so many exclusives that are at Parklife

10 minutes ago, Freddyflintstonree said:

True to an extent. I definitely think demanding isn't a good look, but I can definitely sympathise with the 'I wanna know what I'm paying for' line. 

This.

I wouldn't say it's entitled at all to want to know what you are paying for, there isn't another festival out there that I would ever consider buying a ticket for without knowing at least who is headlining.

I think in our little eFests superfans bubble we forget that the majority of people aren't obsessives like we are, who will pay regardless of how little has been announced.

23 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

Had a quick Google and there’s no exclusivity mentioned in any of the articles I’ve seen, so it obviously wasn’t included in the presser sent round to journos. 

Didn’t ask.

Edited by Somto Unigwe Raphael

1 minute ago, Somto Unigwe Raphael said:

People on here are mental about Glasto tbh. How can you be surprised or think it’s weird that some people don’t want to hand over £300 for a festival where they don’t even know who’s playing? Get in the real world.

The real world sucks, that's why I'm here.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

30 minutes ago, Ged Devereux said:

How much is the parking? I’m getting coach but forgot to add parking for my brother. Think you can pay on the day but it’s even more expensive?

Pretty sure you can buy it seperately later once they've finished up with balance payments. Just need to pay postage again on top. 

Its not crazy to be expecting a lineup soon, recent precedent is they make an announcement around this time of year.

people should get an idea about what they are paying for, and the festival should want as many people to pay as possible.

as far as im concerned (and you can disagree if you like) but if its not here by close of play on friday 4th the first poster is overdue. They need to and should be making an artist announcement of substance this week and i will be annoyed if they dont.

42 minutes ago, jparx said:

Yep that's where I'm leaning as well. Certainly more doubtful than I was before, and prepared for the disappointment of her not being on the poster, but my guess is Phoebe IS there and she's playing Other/Pyramid lower down, and the "headline" bit is the get out.

I think those would be the two worst stages to see Phoebe on, I had my heart set on The Park, if not headlining then a sunset set  up there would be fabulous. I also think a high billing on the John Peel would not be out of the question. Given that Taylor is not appearing Phoebe was the one artist I was really hoping would be on the bill to lessen the blow.

17 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

This.

I wouldn't say it's entitled at all to want to know what you are paying for, there isn't another festival out there that I would ever consider buying a ticket for without knowing at least who is headlining.

I think in our little eFests superfans bubble we forget that the majority of people aren't obsessives like we are, who will pay regardless of how little has been announced.

Until recently the lineup was announced post-deposit though - and you have to remember that everyone paid the deposit in October knowing nothing.

The issue more than anything is festivals are announcing earlier and earlier than ever over the past few years - so glastonbury gets compared to this

Edited by gfa

36 minutes ago, wilko8 said:

On a separate note, I do wonder if Glasto are being quiet because they know the committed ones will pay for their tickets. And they also know there are two years worth of people without tickets who will jump at the chance of a resale. 

I don’t think that has any relevance really. There will always be people who pay their balance and there will always be people who don’t, so there will be a resale either way. My assumption would be the festival would never want to take patronage for granted and assume it will sell out, so I can’t see why they would rely on this if they can avoid it or what benefit there would be to them to rely on it seeing as a resale is unavoidable.

4 minutes ago, gfa said:

Until recently the lineup was announced post-deposit though - and you have to remember that everyone paid the deposit in October knowing nothing.

In the last decade only once have we had a poster after the balance deadline, which is a much stronger precedent than anything else. These days the poster has become linked to the balance window, when one gets brought forward the expectation is the other does too.

If the balance window was April as normal then nobody would be expecting a poster drop on March 2nd.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, wilko8 said:

It’s not entitlement in the slightest. From a business point of view Glastonbury have held on to peoples deposits for 2.5 years. Obviously in the main people have been more than happy for that to be the case, but it’s entirely unique on that respect as far as pretty much anything else there is in the world that I can think of. I don’t think you can blame people for wanting a bit of information in the circumstances and given the huge gap between paying a deposit and now the balance and still having virtually no information. I think it’s a very dangerous game for any business, Glastonbury included, to take patronage for granted and assume people will always queue up to take their money and let them keep it for years on end, regardless of what they do.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass II said:

In the last decade only once have we had a poster after the balance deadline, which is a much stronger precedent than anything else. These days the poster has become linked to the balance window, when one gets brought forward the expectation is the other does too.

If the balance window was April as normal then nobody would be expecting a poster drop on March 2nd.

Even then, the year we didn’t get a poster until after the balance deadline was when they literally didn’t have a third headliner to announce, so you can see why we didn’t get a poster before then. Things seem a lot more settled this year, so as you say it’s not unreasonable for people to expect a poster around now. 

Imagine the chaos on here if we still had no idea Macca and Kendrick were touring this summer.

You can't compare this year to any other years though. We're all obviously excited to see the lineup especially given most of us have now forked over the money.

The fact that we're paying a month earlier than usual (to save the festival money) should definitely come with the expectation that we deserve to know what you're paying for earlier. £280 is a massive expenditure and to shoot down anyone saying it's not right that we don't know is just not fair.

It sets a bad precedent that the festival just knows people are going to buy their tickets, or that those that go into resale will sell too - eventually people will get fed up.

25 minutes ago, Hotchilidog said:

I think those would be the two worst stages to see Phoebe on, I had my heart set on The Park, if not headlining then a sunset set  up there would be fabulous. I also think a high billing on the John Peel would not be out of the question. Given that Taylor is not appearing Phoebe was the one artist I was really hoping would be on the bill to lessen the blow.

Phoebe on the Park is obviously a match made in heaven, but if the festival has felt she’s outgrown it or just felt she needed reshuffling then she wouldn’t be out of place on any of those other three stages. Just hoping she’s there and I can see her, even if it does have to be middle of the day on the Other to a crowd of people waiting for Bastille on after her. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Big durbs said:

i paid my balance at 9:05 yesterday without a line up being confirmed , that said , it would be nice to see a sniff of what we can expect after Emily had hinted at a lineup drop in march , im sure i was not the only one who assumed that would be around balance payment window .

Lets be honest with ourselves here (i am dying for a poster too). The balance window has been open for 26 hours almost, we still have over 100 hours of it being open to get given something!

28 minutes ago, gfa said:

The issue more than anything is festivals are announcing earlier and earlier than ever over the past few years - so glastonbury gets compared to this

Agreed.

2 minutes ago, George1399 said:

You can't compare this year to any other years though. We're all obviously excited to see the lineup especially given most of us have now forked over the money.

The fact that we're paying a month earlier than usual (to save the festival money) should definitely come with the expectation that we deserve to know what you're paying for earlier. £280 is a massive expenditure and to shoot down anyone saying it's not right that we don't know is just not fair.

It sets a bad precedent that the festival just knows people are going to buy their tickets, or that those that go into resale will sell too - eventually people will get fed up.

Completely agree, the ones saying it’s entitlement are the ones who are die hard fans and would pay the money without knowing the lineup before walking through the gate. I’m one of those people, but I also think it’s naive and narrow minded to expect everyone to view it like that, and to also expect there are enough people like that to be able to sell the festival out every year indefinitely. Existing clients get old, their lives change and they die etc. New customers are what will keep it a sellout and oversubscribed for the foreseeable future. 

Why are people screaming for a poster that will only confirm what they pretty much know anyway.

People need to chill their boots a bit, and if paying £280 for a festival with no line up bothers you so much, don't pay the balance and go to something else you already know the line up for.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Why are people screaming for a poster that will only confirm what they pretty much know anyway.

People need to chill their boots a bit, and if paying £280 for a festival with no line up bothers you so much, don't pay the balance and go to something else you already know the line up for.

I'd also point out that even once you've paid the balance - you can still get a refund up until May 3rd minus the same £25 admin charge if the eventual lineup genuinely does offend.

I don't think it's "entitlement" at all to think that the festival would announcement more than 3 names before asking you to pay £250. Glastonbury may have released lineups mere weeks before the festival 20+ years ago, but we've moved on from that. It's a reasonable expectation that most people would have that you know the lineup before you pay, and it's the case for just about every other festival on the planet. I personally don't care and I'll pay regardless, but I do understand why people would be expecting to know what's going on before they fork over a huge amount of money, particularly people going for the first time.

If you're happy to pay blind, then more power to you. I just think it's weird to be criticising people and calling them entitled when the festival has set a clear precedent of releasing the lineup before balance payment over the last decade (in line with 99% of other events on the planet).

• Upvote 8

11 minutes ago, George1399 said:

That will only happen if they curate a festival with a pile of shit line up and people are disappointed.  And that's not the case.