LAWKS! It’s the Next Announcement Thread 2022!

jparx

25 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

But I think you've proven my point with what you have said too. No one was claiming Radiohead were a poor choice of headliner when they were announced even though they have similar headliner issues to Billie.

I think I disagree on Billie's backcatalogue - She has had a lot more mainstream radio success than Stormzy or Radiohead have had, think there is comfortably a setlist there full of stuff people would love. She has a comfortable mix of more lowkey numbers and ragers to keep the party going - lowkey numbers aren't always a problem, Adele went down well and people were clamouring for Taylor to come back after folklore.

And on your last comment, I agree. Every act that is booked has this issue - but for some reason people are seemingly a lot more negative to Billie's chances than to most other peoples.

Thing is Radiohead are an established band with 25+ years history, and had two previously acclaimed Glastonbury sets behind them.

I'm in no way saying that Billie isn't Pyramid headline material by the way- I'm glad she's got the gig from a progressive point of view, even though her music isn't for me. I'm just purely speculating (pretty wildly) on how it'll be received, as after all that's what this forum is for. I'm just hoping she can make it a spectacle ala Adele as you mentioned, and can smash it out of the park. But I don't think it's misogynistic or overly negative to point out that Billie will probably have a more uphill battle than most to put on a GOAT set. The same way people thought Stormzy was a good pick but also had reservations due to a lack of material, whether people's mums know him etc.

Billie will be a great headliner in my view, an exciting young artist who is constantly evolving and yet to reach her peak. Shame about the sound for her Other Stage set but I still enjoyed it. Not a nailed on must see for me, but I think there is a very good chance I will be there to see her if indeed she does get the Pyramid gig.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Reckon the setlist from firefly would go down a treat.

I don’t agree with the misogyny points but I do think the barometer for her is being set absurdly high and there are a few people reading down all of her achievements. They are using her 2019 as a stick to beat her with, completely ruling out her improving or the fact she was literally 16 at the time.

A702A024-378E-4872-B4CF-67995D899A5A.png

7A3FB2B5-DD2E-480C-87D4-B2C8D48BC96A.png

Life is Beautiful and Governors Ball were the same. Next up is Austin City Limits this weekend. So she gets to headline one of the Big 4. There will likely be a livestream on youtube. And to top it all off, the weather is going to be unfavorable. Lots of rain forecast, so its gonna be muddy.

4 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It's worth remembering that Glastonbury last happened fucking years ago.

EDIT: What I mean is, Billie's demographic has probably shifted since then and will continue to shift until next summer.

If billies fans are so fickle why is she still selling out the same dates in 2021/2022 then she was in 2019?

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

If billies fans are so fickle why is she still selling out the same dates in 2021/2022 then she was in 2019?

I meant she's gained new fans.  For instance, I'd never stuck on of her albums one before 2019, but I have now.

Edited by stuartbert two hats
  • Upvote 1

Billie isn’t my cup of tea & frankly I don’t think she’s meant to be my cup of tea - but I’d rather have her headline than keep rolling out the same old Coldplay/Radiohead/Muse/ Cure etc, because if you keep rolling them out, you’ll keep getting the same attendees & the festival eventually stagnates.

it’s the young headliners like Billie that keep the festival fresh & opens it to a new wave of young audiences. Even if her demographic may not be there in numbers, at least it puts the idea of attending Glastonbury in the future somewhere on her demographic’s radar. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, ChemicalBrother said:

Billie isn’t my cup of tea & frankly I don’t think she’s meant to be my cup of tea - but I’d rather have her headline than keep rolling out the same old Coldplay/Radiohead/Muse/ Cure etc, because if you keep rolling them out, you’ll keep getting the same attendees & the festival eventually stagnates.

it’s the young headliners like Billie that keep the festival fresh & opens it to a new wave of young audiences. Even if her demographic may not be there in numbers, at least it puts the idea of attending Glastonbury in the future somewhere on her demographic’s radar. 

More or less this. But the idea of having newer and younger headliners always gets shit down because 90% of punters want their “rock n roll” And dont care about the Dua, Billie or Taylor’s of the world. I brought it up a while ago as to whats going to happen when the current batch of old legacy headliners is exhausted and you have to looking at artists who are 3 or 4 albums deep in their career for whats next. Cause are we going to consider somebody like Arcade Fire as a new legacy act because theyre in their early 40’s? Thats going to apply to lots of acts. I mean Arctic Monkeys are in their mid 30’s and have seemingly achieved legacy status with Glasto cause they headlined at 20 years old. And people seem to think Dave is set to be a fiture headliner and he is on album 2. So does the too early in the career only stick to a uk act that turned massive or the once in a blue moon transcenda t one like Billie.

Edited by Suprefan

54 minutes ago, ChemicalBrother said:

Agreed with all of this and I like that some nights I'm forced away from pyramid. It seems like they're in a good place with newer headliner (Stormzy, Beyonce, Ed Sheeran etc), a vintage/classic act (Stones, Macca, Cure) and an established act (Arctics, Killers, Coldplay). Obviously 2020 would have been different with taylor/king kenny in pot one but it's rare that there's not normally at least one headliner I'm keen on.

Curious how they handle these announcements if it’s true we’ve got 3/4 main acts back. Do they address Taylor head on as not returning for 2022 or just announce each act in turn (Macca first I’d reckon) and let it speak for itself? Can see the Billie announcement causing some disappointment when it becomes clear she’s the Taylor the replacement if it’s not handled properly. Might not matter in the grand scheme though.

Edited by jparx

Just now, jparx said:

Curious how they handle these announcements if it’s true we’ve got 3/4 main acts back. Do they address Taylor head on as not returning for 2022 or just announce each act in turn (Macca first I’d reckon) and let it speak for itself? Can see the Billie announcing causing some disappointment when it becomes clear she’s the Taylor the replacement if it’s not handled properly. Might not matter in the grand scheme though.

I think it’s more likely that the festival will let things speak for itself, but I can imagine them announcing Billie as she’s the “new” headliner of the batch.

Without being pedantic though I’d say festival goers are used to not getting 100% of their 2020 lineups back so it wouldn’t go down as bad as you think.

6 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I think it’s more likely that the festival will let things speak for itself, but I can imagine them announcing Billie as she’s the “new” headliner of the batch.

Without being pedantic though I’d say festival goers are used to not getting 100% of their 2020 lineups back so it wouldn’t go down as bad as you think.

Maybe - not sure if I've seen many festivals retain 3/4 of their headliners though? Sticks out as a bit more obvious!