Jump to content

LAWKS! It’s the Next Announcement Thread 2022!


jparx

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Mattymooz said:

Feel like the misogyny in this thread is overwhelming. God forbid that a young woamn could be headling and her legion of child stans won't have tickets to fill out her crowd. Its impossible that casual music fans might turn up and see her like they do for every other act.

Didn't see the same level of fear that the field would be full of dads wearing eyeliner when they were dusting the cobwebs off Bob Smith for 2019....

Where would you say there is misogyny? Could you provide examples?

I’ve seen a few people raise concerns over her ability to hold a casual crowd due to her lacklustre previous showing and a new album that isn’t exactly chock full of big crowd pleasers. I would argue these are pretty valid concerns. It might be that she walks out and smashes it like Adele and Beyoncé did, but there’s also potential for people to get bored and drift away ala Kanye.

Not every question or concern raised regarding a female artist is inherently misogynistic.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Mattymooz said:

Feel like the misogyny in this thread is overwhelming. God forbid that a young woamn could be headling and her legion of child stans won't have tickets to fill out her crowd. Its impossible that casual music fans might turn up and see her like they do for every other act.

Didn't see the same level of fear that the field would be full of dads wearing eyeliner when they were dusting the cobwebs off Bob Smith for 2019....

What a load of bollocks.

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Where would you say there is misogyny? Could you provide examples?

I’ve seen a few people raise concerns over her ability to hold a casual crowd due to her lacklustre previous showing and a new album that isn’t exactly chock full of big crowd pleasers. I would argue these are pretty valid concerns. It might be that she walks out and smashes it like Adele and Beyoncé did, but there’s also potential for people to get bored and drift away ala Kanye.

Not every question or concern raised regarding a female artist is inherently misogynistic.

Quite. 

Remember all those discussions about how the field would be empty for Metallica? The misandry was overwhelming.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Billie is all about the setlist I think. Her setlist at Reading was spot on and she had the crowd from start to finish eating from her hand. It would have been the same at Glastonbury without the audio issues - you really can just throw that show out as a basis to judge her live show.

The new album is great but clearly a the majority of songs don’t scream “live crowd pleaser” (although arguably people thought that with the first record and it ended up working), so pacing, and how she starts, is key. She has more than enough bangers to sustain a headline show, just has to use them wisely and not have too many long stretches with the more low key stuff. I know it’s not the done thing and she probably won’t do this, but I’d really start with something from the first album, probably bury a friend, to just get the crowd on side from the off.

Edited by jparx
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, jparx said:

Billie is all about the setlist I think. Her setlist at Reading was spot on and she had the crowd from start to finish eating from her hand. It would have been the same at Glastonbury without the audio issues - you really can just throw that show out as a basis to judge her live show.

 

Problem is for many people, especially on here, that show is their only frame of reference. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, jparx said:

Billie is all about the setlist I think. Her setlist at Reading was spot on and she had the crowd from start to finish eating from her hand. It would have been the same at Glastonbury without the audio issues - you really can just throw that show out as a basis to judge her live show.

The new album is great but clearly a the majority of songs don’t scream “live crowd pleaser” (although arguably people thought that with the first record and it ended up working), so pacing, and how she starts, is key. She has more than enough bangers to sustain a headline show, just has to use them wisely and not have too many long stretches with the more low key stuff. I know it’s not the done thing and she probably won’t do this, but I’d really start with something from the first album, probably bury a friend, to just get the crowd on side from the off.

Reckon the setlist from firefly would go down a treat.

I don’t agree with the misogyny points but I do think the barometer for her is being set absurdly high and there are a few people reading down all of her achievements. They are using her 2019 as a stick to beat her with, completely ruling out her improving or the fact she was literally 16 at the time.

A702A024-378E-4872-B4CF-67995D899A5A.png

7A3FB2B5-DD2E-480C-87D4-B2C8D48BC96A.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Where would you say there is misogyny? Could you provide examples?

I’ve seen a few people raise concerns over her ability to hold a casual crowd due to her lacklustre previous showing and a new album that isn’t exactly chock full of big crowd pleasers. I would argue these are pretty valid concerns. It might be that she walks out and smashes it like Adele and Beyoncé did, but there’s also potential for people to get bored and drift away ala Kanye.

Not every question or concern raised regarding a female artist is inherently misogynistic.

It's more the fact that every time Billie comes up, the same concerns of 'oh only children listen to her', 'her crowd will be tiny because none of her stans can get tickets', 'people will get bored because she will probably just be lipsyncing' etc. If we were talking about The Weeknd or another male act, I don't think people would be having the same concerns.

Regarding your other points, I think @Matt42has been spamming another videos of live shows to tell you that her Glasto performance was a bit of a fluke and usually she goes down pretty well. Her last album may not be full of massive hits like her previous, but that doesn't really get held against other acts in the same way. The album still did incredibly well commercially and critically. Most of the general public would recognise tracks like Therefore I Am & the title track. That's without even considering stuff like Everything I Wanted & No Time To Die which were released since she last played.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not convinced she is going to smash it. Stuff like the lack of a live band and the fact that it is just sandwiched in the middle of a tour give me doubts. I'm just bored of the same discourse every time a female popstar is bought up as a headliner. I thought we had all gotten over the 'pop music is for little girls' stereotype

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not convinced she is going to smash it. Stuff like the lack of a live band and the fact that it is just sandwiched in the middle of a tour give me doubts. I'm just bored of the same discourse every time a female popstar is bought up as a headliner. I thought we had all gotten over the 'pop music is for little girls' stereotype

I don't think that's necessarily true. The reaction to Taylor's announcement was overwhelmingly positive.

I'd also argue that Stormzy had similar levels of concern raised in advance of his show too, and look how that turned out.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Mattymooz said:

Feel like the misogyny in this thread is overwhelming. God forbid that a young woamn could be headling and her legion of child stans won't have tickets to fill out her crowd. Its impossible that casual music fans might turn up and see her like they do for every other act.

Didn't see the same level of fear that the field would be full of dads wearing eyeliner when they were dusting the cobwebs off Bob Smith for 2019....

Hahahahahahahahahaha

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

Reckon the setlist from firefly would go down a treat.

I don’t agree with the misogyny points but I do think the barometer for her is being set absurdly high and there are a few people reading down all of her achievements. They are using her 2019 as a stick to beat her with, completely ruling out her improving or the fact she was literally 16 at the time.

That goes with being a pyramid headliner I’m afraid. There’s only 3 slots a year, and many great artists go their career without getting near it. Scrutiny is to be expected.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

I'd also argue that Stormzy had similar levels of concern raised in advance of his show too, and look how that turned out.

Stormzy did kill it on the Other Stage the previous time though, so it was clearer he could do it at Glastonbury.

A lot’s happened between Billie’s appearance and now, but it’s still fair to say she doesn’t have that check mark in her favour.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, balthazarstarbuck said:

Stormzy did kill it on the Other Stage the previous time though, so it was clearer he could do it at Glastonbury.

A lot’s happened between Billie’s appearance and now, but it’s still fair to say she doesn’t have that check mark in her favour.

Stormzy went over and above for Glastonbury. I think one of the concerns with Billie is that the Pyramid is just another stop on an already massive arena jaunt. She needs to make it more than just another show.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mattymooz said:

It's more the fact that every time Billie comes up, the same concerns of 'oh only children listen to her', 'her crowd will be tiny because none of her stans can get tickets', 'people will get bored because she will probably just be lipsyncing' etc. If we were talking about The Weeknd or another male act, I don't think people would be having the same concerns.

Regarding your other points, I think @Matt42has been spamming another videos of live shows to tell you that her Glasto performance was a bit of a fluke and usually she goes down pretty well. Her last album may not be full of massive hits like her previous, but that doesn't really get held against other acts in the same way. The album still did incredibly well commercially and critically. Most of the general public would recognise tracks like Therefore I Am & the title track. That's without even considering stuff like Everything I Wanted & No Time To Die which were released since she last played.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not convinced she is going to smash it. Stuff like the lack of a live band and the fact that it is just sandwiched in the middle of a tour give me doubts. I'm just bored of the same discourse every time a female popstar is bought up as a headliner. I thought we had all gotten over the 'pop music is for little girls' stereotype

Think you've answered your own point on people's trepidations. She still only has two albums behind her, and as you've said the second of those isn't exactly full of bangers. The same was said of Stormzy, but he always had a mainstream appeal and an ace Glastonbury set behind him. The lack of a back catalogue and big, crowd pleasing singles I think comes more to the fore with the down tempo or 'sulky' style. Even with the back catalogue and big hits behind them, Radiohead in 2017 struggled to engage anyone other than someone who was already a fan. Billie could well suffer from the same where she struggles to win over the neutral. The majority of most Pyramid audiences are floating voters rather than committed fans of the band. And that's why the likes of The Killers go down far better than bands like Radiohead.

Has everything to do with whether the music and performance will suit a Pyramid crowd rather than her gender. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For the avoidance of doubt I genuinely and sincerely hope she smashes it. There's nothing to be gained from an act flopping hard on the biggest stage and 80,000 punters walking away unsatisfied.

I've said before that I'll be elsewhere, gave her stuff a listen and it's not for me, but I hope everyone who is excited for her loves it.*

*This is my position if Taylor is booked again too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Problem is for many people, especially on here, that show is their only frame of reference. 

Personally I think you put way too much stock in that show, and I think the average punter has probably forgotten it by now. Not to mention the booking isn’t for the average efests user - this forum clearly isn’t Billie’s key demo, and that demo has probably seen her other shows where she nailed it (R+L, Big Weekend) but hey, we’ll see in time!

@Matt42 that setlist is absolutely ace. I’ll try and catch clips of that show. Happier than Ever is an almighty show closer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, jparx said:

Just been watching the Life is Beautiful set from Vegas last week. Yeah, I'm not worried about her headline set. Setlist is spot on and it absolutely feels like a major headline show.

This is fucking ACE. 

 

Was that Matt Helders on drums or am I going mad?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

For the avoidance of doubt I genuinely and sincerely hope she smashes it. There's nothing to be gained from an act flopping hard on the biggest stage and 80,000 punters walking away unsatisfied.

I've said before that I'll be elsewhere, gave her stuff a listen and it's not for me, but I hope everyone who is excited for her loves it.*

*This is my position if Taylor is booked again too.

That's exactly where I am - if one or both appear I hope they put on a great show for everyone watching, but I will be elsewhere. I will never understand why people need to be so 'down' on something that they have no intention of being a part of anyway. If its not for you, walk away and do something else!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Leyrulion said:

Well I don't like her, I'd be front and centre for Taylor and Dua but not her. Didn't realise expressing a preference for not liking the recent album made me a misogynist. 

I think you're reading too much into this. 

You just aren't listening to what I said. I'm not saying if you dont like Billie then you hate women, clearly that is an insane take.

However, the people in this thread saying that she will have a small crowd be cause only teen girls are into her are damaging with their comments. Realistically, she could quite easily fuck it up, but there is no reason to be any more cynical than any other act

1 hour ago, kingbadger said:

Think you've answered your own point on people's trepidations. She still only has two albums behind her, and as you've said the second of those isn't exactly full of bangers. The same was said of Stormzy, but he always had a mainstream appeal and an ace Glastonbury set behind him. The lack of a back catalogue and big, crowd pleasing singles I think comes more to the fore with the down tempo or 'sulky' style. Even with the back catalogue and big hits behind them, Radiohead in 2017 struggled to engage anyone other than someone who was already a fan. Billie could well suffer from the same where she struggles to win over the neutral. The majority of most Pyramid audiences are floating voters rather than committed fans of the band. And that's why the likes of The Killers go down far better than bands like Radiohead.

Has everything to do with whether the music and performance will suit a Pyramid crowd rather than her gender. 

But I think you've proven my point with what you have said too. No one was claiming Radiohead were a poor choice of headliner when they were announced even though they have similar headliner issues to Billie.

I think I disagree on Billie's backcatalogue - She has had a lot more mainstream radio success than Stormzy or Radiohead have had, think there is comfortably a setlist there full of stuff people would love. She has a comfortable mix of more lowkey numbers and ragers to keep the party going - lowkey numbers aren't always a problem, Adele went down well and people were clamouring for Taylor to come back after folklore.

And on your last comment, I agree. Every act that is booked has this issue - but for some reason people are seemingly a lot more negative to Billie's chances than to most other peoples.

3 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

I don't think that's necessarily true. The reaction to Taylor's announcement was overwhelmingly positive.

I'd also argue that Stormzy had similar levels of concern raised in advance of his show too, and look how that turned out.

You're right tbh, maybe I am a bit misguided and people just really dont like newer acts without 10+ years of pedigree with live performances. But I do standby my point that stereotyping her fans are teen girls is pretty stinky.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

But I do standby my point that stereotyping her fans are teen girls is pretty stinky.

Ive not watched any of her non-Glasto live sets, but I was at that 2019 set, and there were more teenage girls there than I saw anywhere else that weekend. 
 

I pulled up a song (Iloilo) from that set just now to just make sure I wasn’t mistaken in whatever haze i was in at the time, and the only up close crowd shot shows literal children at the front.

that’s not to be disparaging of her fans, the atmosphere  or in any way misogynistic (???), it’s just perhaps relevant that that demographic is underrepresented at the festival.

unsure how that is “stinky”?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

People stereotype her crowd as teen girls because, more so than any other recent Glastonbury headliner, a lot of her crowd are just that. That’s part and parcel of being a very recent, young pop star. It’s not because she’s a woman.

Will she have a big crowd? Yes, she’s headlining Glastonbury; all headliners get big crowds. She’s also massively popular and will have enough interest at Glastonbury even if a fairly large proportion of her fan base aren’t there. Does that mean she’ll draw as big a proportion of attendees as she does at a festival like Firefly? Probably not, as that festival seems more aligned to her crowd. Glastonbury will always have a large amount of attendees there for bands like QOTSA who would draw a big crowd, too.

No one is being misogynistic in the thread. No one is hoping for her to fail like some people are saying. Why are people getting so defensive? It’s a random musician playing a random festival and we’re random people on an internet forum. It ain’t that deep guys.

Edited by Somto Unigwe Raphael
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Just to reiterate my point, I'm not sure what else you would want Billie to be doing to prove that she has a shot at being a good headliner. She has critical and commercial success, won awards, plenty of decent live performances (bar one disappointing set at Glasto)....

Oh I don't think there's any debate that she isn't big enough to headline is there? She's one of the most popular artists on the planet right now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...