LAWKS! It’s the Next Announcement Thread 2022!

jparx

4 hours ago, zeppelin said:

Assuming this is a legit comment rather than a joke, then Arcadia (as in the Spider) is a night time only stage. The fire and effects wouldn't work nearly as well during the day. 

For their early evening offering, check out "The Bug" - it's basically a vehicle with wings that they drive to the Spider and play some tunes from 17:00-21:30.

When the spider toured i went to the London show, had acts on in the daytime building up to the headliners who had the Flames etc 

16 hours ago, Chrisp1986 said:

They will not announce Wednesday line up due to the license.

We are going to need to start pooling info on Wednesday, I love knowing which of the excellent small bands are where. Does the licence just say they can't announce it as that does not affect noise levels just crowds?

10 hours ago, Twiggy553 said:

The spider used to be a daytime thing too. But the start has got later and later as the years tick by and is now nighttime only

10 hours ago, Earth_pig said:

When the spider toured i went to the London show, had acts on in the daytime building up to the headliners who had the Flames etc 

Apologies, I clearly got this one wrong. I just have no recollection of daytime acts on there at Glastonbury. Will edit my post. 

1 hour ago, OverlyComplicated said:

I haven't noticed Jess Goyder on the line up since like 2013 or something like that, does she still pop up?

I saw her in 2014, and she was at Glastonbury for 2015 and 2016 too. I believe she's had to retire due to poor health, which is a shame because she's arguably my favourite performer I discovered through Glastonbury. I somehow have seven songs from her on my MP3 playlist, when she only officially released four (her four-song EP, a song you could get through signing up to her mailing list, plus two tracks from a live set which are available to download from soundcloud).

On 6/11/2022 at 6:32 PM, august1 said:

Doesnt seem likely, with them looking to move away from the spider, maybe they don't want to bring it back?

On 6/11/2022 at 6:21 PM, crazyfool1 said:

The arcadia show ? Surely this is gonna happen ? 

As mentioned above, not this year. 

Not sure if this is the best place for this post... Just about to listen to Annie Mac's changes podcast. This and next weeks episode's are Glastonbury related with this week's guest being Roisin Murphy and next Monday's being Emily Eavis... will we get any hints, secrets??

On 6/11/2022 at 5:29 PM, JoeyT said:

Licence changes?

Paging @Dukeicon, what’s changed chief?

Haven't a clue i'm afraid!

License is on here, grated 2018 - https://www.mendip.gov.uk/article/7467/Glastonbury-Festival-Licensing-and-Event-Management-Information

Possibly something to do with the clause, if their PA is more than 200 watts.

Only sound systems rated at below 200 watts, in total at any stall etc. or venue, shall operate between the hours 0800 hours on Wednesday and 1000 hours on Thursday and between the hours 0500 hours and 1700 hours on Monday;

Pilton Palais has applied for a change in the license for the Wednesday.

I found this in amongst my team's group chat for 2019 ....

"All Wednesday live performances have been pulled off the app / website. Apparently they are breaching licensing conditions if they promote live music on the Wednesday. Allegedly all acts still playing."
🤔

So it's not new.

2 hours ago, Fishman said:

I found this in amongst my team's group chat for 2019 ....

"All Wednesday live performances have been pulled off the app / website. Apparently they are breaching licensing conditions if they promote live music on the Wednesday. Allegedly all acts still playing."
🤔

So it's not new.

Will we not know who is playing where on the Weds until we get there and see the programme?

15 hours ago, Cream Soda said:

Will we not know who is playing where on the Weds until we get there and see the programme?

The Green Futures field Twitter page posted this, so they are apparently running a full program. No times, but sets in this field typically start an hour or 75 minutes after each other so you could have a rough idea. In 2019, Speakers' Forum opened at 1pm, Small World at 1.15pm, Toad Hall at 3pm and Mandala stage at 5pm.

It seems likely that the Greenpeace stage, the Bandstand, the Rum Shack and the Rocket Lounge will also have live acts on Wednesday, but aren't able to announce times either. I suspect checking on the forums here or perhaps the Secretglasto Twitter account on Wednesday will give everyone the times for these stages.

1 hour ago, FrankieX said:

The Green Futures field Twitter page posted this, so they are apparently running a full program. No times, but sets in this field typically start an hour or 75 minutes after each other so you could have a rough idea. In 2019, Speakers' Forum opened at 1pm, Small World at 1.15pm, Toad Hall at 3pm and Mandala stage at 5pm.

It seems likely that the Greenpeace stage, the Bandstand, the Rum Shack and the Rocket Lounge will also have live acts on Wednesday, but aren't able to announce times either. I suspect checking on the forums here or perhaps the Secretglasto Twitter account on Wednesday will give everyone the times for these stages.

I know the bandstand definitely do, so the others probably will too. Seems like there will be plenty to go at 🙂

On 5/31/2022 at 1:07 PM, redrobrob said:

When I look back at the line ups of previous years I think "wow that's a great year"

it always works like that, because as time goes by more of the acts become familiar to you.

31 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Dont know where to put this and dont  want to start a new topic cause its all about bickering about the weather. But, damn right he has a point now doesnt he.

No. The UK is 3% black, even if you include all minorities its 13% non white, of course Glastonbury is going to look very white. Then factor in it takes place on a farm in rural  Somerset and it’s hardly a surprise it’s mostly white. People who live in big cities with large minority populations have their view of the diversity of the UK heavily skewed by what they see around them on a daily basis. 

57 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Dont know where to put this and dont  want to start a new topic cause its all about bickering about the weather. But, damn right he has a point now doesnt he.

I think there's a point, it certainly doesn't feel like there are 30,000 non white people there when you're wondering around. 

It's a difficult one to dicuss without making sweeping generalisations about culture, types of music etc. 

If you look at the acts performing there is a far more even spread but then look out at the crowds and they are predominantly white faces. Why is that? What is the split like at normal gigs? How much does it differ depending on genre? I was at a punk all dayer on Saturday and, though I wasn't thinking of it at the time, probably everyone was white.

I'm trying not to generalise but how is the split at a rap gig in a town? Presumably many more non white people there so why doesn't that transfer to a festival where the number of rap acts is ever increasing? Does your average rap fan think "Spend a week in a field? Camping in cow shit? Fuck that!"?

Probably a complex subject that ain't going to be solved by some people on a forum in a thread that starts with "Lawks!"

• 1 year later...
6 hours ago, geradflopme said:

While it's difficult to provide a definitive answer to why festival crowds tend to be predominantly white, there are a few factors that could contribute to this observation. Firstly, historical and socio-cultural contexts can play a role. The music industry has historically been shaped by systemic inequalities and cultural biases that have influenced the representation and visibility of different racial and ethnic groups. These factors can affect the development of fan bases and audience demographics over time.

Secondly, accessibility and affordability can be significant factors. Attending a music festival often involves expenses such as ticket prices, travel costs, accommodation, and time off work. These factors may limit the ability of individuals from certain backgrounds to attend festivals regularly. Additionally, the location and organization of festivals can affect their accessibility to different communities.

White where though.....

• 2 months later...