LAWKS! It’s the Next Announcement Thread 2022!

jparx

2 minutes ago, CJL9494 said:

As long as those 4 acts aren't clashing I think you'll find thats a pretty nice day out with the size of the place, it will take you a while to walk to each stage etc (assuming they're on different stages). Spend the rest of the day checking out new music and just following whatever vibe. The night time takes care of itself.

I wouldn't say its worse than previous years no - no doubt over the years I've been going there have been some lineups more suited to my tastes, and others not. It just varies year on year. You're also comparing a headliner to a band who are way down the running order.

I think given the popularity of the place, people assume it is this utopia of music festival lineups but it isn't possible because of the model Glastonbury have. But I'd much rather they have that model than a commercial festival who pay their headliners millions, but make their punters queue for bar tokens and force them to camp separate to the "arena".

Yeah those are all fair points, really. Tbh I’m looking at it as more of a camping holiday / chance to hear The Long and Winding Road while buzzing off my tits, than an actual music festival at this point.

13 minutes ago, kugglaw said:

Yeah, I'm 100% certain I'll enjoy being there and soaking up the atmosphere with friends and strangers alike. 

But I'm going through clash finder and there's like 4 acts I want to see on Saturday for example? Just bit of a shame. I imagined that because this was the defacto 50th anniversary, it would be filled to the gills with new and current music from UK and abroad, undeniably legendary acts, with the odd obvious crowd pleaser thrown in. 

The fact that it caters to everyone and doesn't really have the same budget or curation as other festivals is becoming really clear to me. But it seems this one is worse than other years? The stage that had Wu Tang Clan in 2019 has a...brass covers band. 

I’ve been to approx 15 Glastos and always make a list of who I want to see.  In reality, I end up seeing about 5/6 bands/acts that I wanted to see and will often sacrifice going to see someone that I’ve wanted to see for ages because at the time I was having a lot of fun doing something else, usually something completely random that Glasto continuously keeps on offering up.

It really isn’t about the line up.  The line up is just an excuse to put on the rest of the stuff.

Look at how much fun you have on Wednesday when next to nothing is on.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, kugglaw said:

The headliners are generally brilliant tbh, it’s all the shite like The Hoosiers, Elbow, McFly and The Libertines and all the soundalike radio 6 bands like foals etc I’m disappointed by. 

VAR check in progress: Troll confirmed 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alvoram said:

I feel like I knew less artists on this lineup than I have in previous years, 2019 I knew a lot more people... BUT, that's a great thing, I've already discovered artists I like by looking them up from the lineup, and I'm looking forward to discovering more! 

For me the lineup is great, a perfect balance of names I know and want to see, and new (to me) music to discover. 

I echo this and i have found quite a few new artists who will fit in nicely to those i already know and have been listening too. It dosn't help however when the fuckers have clashed 4 of them on the same time and the same day !! Also Fontaines clashing with D Ross. But because its D Ross and the legends spot i have to be there. As a 60yo who drew up listening to that music how could i not.

Edited by ghandi
  • Like 1

I generally look at the line ups and think I don't know most of these. (Not that it matters.)

When I look back at the line ups of previous years I think "wow that's a great year" 

I have just done it with 2016, as I didn't get tickets for that one and again thought wow! Now at the time I was like that's not a bad year to miss out.. 

This is where Glastonbury gets it right, they don't catch falling swords. You look back and they generally have it spot on.. 

They are pretty good at what they do! Who would have thought?!?

Edited by redrobrob

14 minutes ago, redrobrob said:

This is where Glastonbury gets it right, they don't catch falling swords. You look back and they generally have it spot on.. 

They are pretty good at what they do! Who would have thought?!?

I saw Ed Sheeran in Croissant Neuf. Not sure if that's getting it right 😉 (didn't like it then, don't like it now)

2 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

Ok so there’s still a wed announcement to come … just the small stages ? 

It'll be interesting to see if they give some of the smaller stages a poster, even though they're already announced like they did in 2019.

Just now, Matt42 said:

Last time it came out as merch after the festival

It stinks they dont just sell that poster at the festival. I know theyll do some of the black and white printing press ones, but the full color one would be nice to get while there and not have to order it later on.

1 hour ago, kugglaw said:

It makes me cringe

I can’t wait to see them. Their version of Killing In The Name is even more intense than the original. And quite a live act - the lead singer is on a warning not to get overly carried away on stage. She was subject to a police investigation after a gig in the States. If you don’t know the story Google it. It’s quite shocking 💦

5 minutes ago, Mackem said:

I can’t wait to see them. Their version of Killing In The Name is even more intense than the original. And quite a live act - the lead singer is on a warning not to get overly carried away on stage. She was subject to a police investigation after a gig in the States. If you don’t know the story Google it. It’s quite shocking 💦

Oh my god. Reading through your comment, I didn't have to search. It slowly clicked in my head.

That video... IT'S THEM?! 😂

I went through clashfinder yesterday and feel a bit guilty that most of my “must sees” are DJs. Not helped by the fact that the few bands/live acts I want to see are evening/nighttime clashes with each other.

Aside from just strolling and taking in the atmosphere and serendipitous events, I think I either need to do a bunch of research on daytime acts, or trust that a given stage (usually West Holts) will serve up the sort of thing I like…