LAWKS! It’s the Next Announcement Thread 2022!

jparx

21 minutes ago, Lubic87 said:

Just hoping the full lineup arrives before Primavera.  Would take weds morning, as it would give me something to look at on the journey there.

This would've been ideal but I fly at 7am, so I'll hope for Tuesday evening 😅

9 minutes ago, Smeble said:

Why do you need a distraction?

Because I am already bred to death of it and no doubt there'll be a load of shite programming to accompany it next week and it'll be all over the news. If I have the line up I can put myself in a little Glastonbury bubble. 

3 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Because I am already bred to death of it and no doubt there'll be a load of shite programming to accompany it next week and it'll be all over the news. If I have the line up I can put myself in a little Glastonbury bubble. 

My children's school/nursery/Brownies are doing loads of stuff around the jubilee - bake-offs, tea parties, you name it. Obviously don't want to spoil their fun so trying to be enthusiastic about it, but honestly could not be less fussed. 😂 

I’m no flag waver but I’d rather have the monarchy than another prick politician only interested in re election and lining their pockets with back handers. At least they bring in tourist money, plus Charlie boy was highlighting  the environment long before it was cool.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

4 minutes ago, jimmillen said:

My children's school/nursery/Brownies are doing loads of stuff around the jubilee - bake-offs, tea parties, you name it. Obviously don't want to spoil their fun so trying to be enthusiastic about it, but honestly could not be less fussed. 😂 

Yep honestly whilst I'm always a republican and think the monarchy is a load of shite I wouldn't be this curmudgeonly if people weren't wasting so much money on tat when other people can barely afford to live. The whole thing just seems grotesque. Apparently the cost of all the various celebrations equates to over £30k per household. I know what I'd rather have!!!

I'm really not sure that Doja Cat has/ will cause any delay. I can't see why they'd be able to magic an act out of thin air that just happens to be touring in UK at this time etc. Why would they not have asked them already and they're already be on the line-up? They will just shuffle things around. 

I don't think the line-up was ever coming today, which Emily quoted as saying "in June". 

Nothing to do with Doja Cat. 

Edited by danbailey80
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Smeble said:

Presumably you are working the bank holidays then?

Absolutely nonsensical argument. My OH works for the NHS so will be working one of the Bank Holidays - does this mean she cares about the royal family less than me, as I have them both off as I work in an office?

25 minutes ago, Smeble said:

I’m no flag waver but I’d rather have the monarchy than another prick politician only interested in re election and lining their pockets with back handers. At least they bring in tourist money, plus Charlie boy was highlighting  the environment long before it was cool.

"They bring in tourist money" is totally false. If we chopped Liz's head off and made Buckingham Palace a museum do you think no-one would visit it? 

I mean, no-one wants to see the Bastille, or Palace of Versailles... 

Arguably, if we chose somewhere interesting for the beheading we could make a new tourist attraction and make even more tourist money. For example, lots of tourists on a historical tour of the site of regicide, Bracknell Leisure Centre. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Yep honestly whilst I'm always a republican and think the monarchy is a load of shite I wouldn't be this curmudgeonly if people weren't wasting so much money on tat when other people can barely afford to live. The whole thing just seems grotesque. Apparently the cost of all the various celebrations equates to over £30k per household. I know what I'd rather have!!!

I think that £30K figure has been doing the rounds, but it is clearly nonsense. The figure is something like £35 per household. Extra day off, seems ok to me. 

Edited by Blisterpack

1 minute ago, Blisterpack said:

I think that £30K figure has been doing the rounds, but it is clearly nonsense. The figure is something like £35 per household. Extra day off, seems ok to me. 

Correct. Somebody terrible at maths came out with it on Twitter and the sheep are now running with the headline.

7 minutes ago, Blisterpack said:

I think that £30K figure has Ben doing the rounds, but it is clearly nonsense. The figure is something like £35 per household. Extra day off, seems ok to me. 

Accuracy of the above doesn't matter. The cost of maintaining a Royal Family is ludicrous.

• We gave them £67 million in 2019.
  • We spent hundreds of thousands of pounds driving a £4bn hat to be put on a chair for the state opening of parliament. 
  • The Queen's personal wealth is over £350m - including a £100m stamp collection. 
  • Monarchy PLC holds about £25bn in assets. 

Why am I being taxed to pay for them? Let them stay as ceremonial figureheads, fine, I can live with that, but make them stand on their own feet. 

Edited by blutarsky
typo
  • Upvote 2