LAWKS! It’s the Next Announcement Thread 2022!

jparx

12 minutes ago, Barneym said:

For the funeral really, I remember the Newcastle town centre being like a ghost town but it was 25 years ago so maybe I’m mis remembering. I’m sure the metro system was off because of the funeral.  I know I was in Ku club in Sunderland the night she died, got back and it was on the news she had crashed. As an aside I was very underage to be in that club thinking about it, but what a venue that was in its day.

I don't think anything had to shut down though, it was just quiet because lots of people chose to stay at home to watch it.  Public transport was still running as normal.

49 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Everything didn’t shut down at all, I was a teenager working in a national trust cafe and that still stayed open and had tons of visitors.

I was working as a teenager too in my first ever Saturday job at a Tesco in Oxford, my mum drove me to my shift and there were no cars about, in fact there were probably more cars about during that first wave of COVID than that day.

I used to work something like 12 noon-8pm and I served barely a soul all day.

Perhaps it was because you were in a tourist area, but I can assure you Oxford city centre had virtually no one in it!

Just now, squirrelarmy said:

We need an announcement 

We're going to be getting at least 2 a week from now on.

That aside the impatience is getting to me as well I must admit.

Getting to the point where I'd even accept the kidzfield lineup to quench my lineup thirst.

24 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Wikipedia says "As agreed by Queen Elizabeth II and the prime minister, the day of the funeral will be declared a Day of National Mourning, although a bank holiday will not be granted", so I don't think the festival would be shut down if we don't even get a day off work.

Apart from the TV coverage, the only problem I can see is if glasto needs cops/security/medics on site but they're needed for the funeral.

Certain sections of the press will moan if the festival goes ahead, but they tend to moan about it anyway.

Agreed. If we have to keep going to work, then I can’t see any reason why we can’t go to a festival. 

8 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

We need an announcement 

6 minutes ago, 1986 said:

Yeah the Queen debate seems to be the final sign of us running out of things to talk about.

I just had a work alert flash up on my laptop about the Queens Building, only caught the word "Queen" and nearly had a cardiac arrest.

9 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

We're going to be getting at least 2 a week from now on.

That aside the impatience is getting to me as well I must admit.

Getting to the point where I'd even accept the kidzfield lineup to quench my lineup thirst.

Imagine if this was 2002 when they dropped the entire line up a week before the festival started. 😄 

2 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Imagine if this was 2002 when they dropped the entire line up a week before the festival started. 😄 

It's a funny one isn't it because at that point no one would have batted an eyelid I'm sure but as the years have gone by and announcements have come earlier etc. it leaves you craving everything!

I'm very much aware we live in a society now where everyone wants to know everything immediately and of course technology / social media has played a big part in the ability to get that sort of thing to people.

I don't even know what I'm trying to say 😂 we're all just bloody impatient nowadays aren't we!

24 minutes ago, Earth_pig said:

Someone mentioned earlier in this unlikely scenario this happens, that the BBC wouldn't be able to broadcast as usual would they? Which is a big draw for many acts. I didn't even thing of it and wish I hadn't 

I think it's probably a bit more nuanced than that.

For one, the BBC has a number of channels it can broadcast to. In the event of the Queen clocking off, it may that the Glasto coverage is just moved down the channel ladder.

However, traditional televised broadcast ain't the same pull as it was. For most new artists, their target demographic is more often than not, young. Where do you find them? Online. These days, artists will be more concerned with their reach online than traditional linear broadcast (that's limited to the UK & Ireland). Having a TV quality production of your festival performance (which BBC Studios are the dogs bollocks at) is probably one of the most valuable assets an artist can have.

I've no doubt Lizzo's Glasto performance online can be - in part - attributed to her rising success.

1 minute ago, JoeyT said:

It's a funny one isn't it because at that point no one would have batted an eyelid I'm sure but as the years have gone by and announcements have come earlier etc. it leaves you craving everything!

I'm very much aware we live in a society now where everyone wants to know everything immediately and of course technology / social media has played a big part in the ability to get that sort of thing to people.

I don't even know what I'm trying to say 😂 we're all just bloody impatient nowadays aren't we!

Yeh I agree with most of that,  people just seem to want everything quicker and in more detail....dunno if the two enforced fallow years are a cause of it being worse as I'm noticing a lot more impatience especially on here, and no sooner is one area announced then everyone starts shouting they want the next one.

Reality is, once you give them it once they then expect it every year afterwards....

First year I went (2004) the entire line up came out about 3 weeks before the gates opened....didn't bother me in the slightest!

1 minute ago, gooner1990 said:

.dunno if the two enforced fallow years are a cause of it being worse as I'm noticing a lot more impatience especially on here

It’s definitely adding to the impatience. I think there’s a lot of worries about outside factors halting the festival again and a lot of people are going to have some nervous feelings until they actually step through the gates in a little over 9 weeks time

I’d actually say this year is a bit calmer in peoples’ need for an announcement. Sure, everyone’s excited and eager, but most years you get at least a few people in a genuine rage that they haven’t yet got what they feel they’re entitled to.

3 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

It’s definitely adding to the impatience. I think there’s a lot of worries about outside factors halting the festival again and a lot of people are going to have some nervous feelings until they actually step through the gates in a little over 9 weeks time

have I missed something?

2 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I think its because that bubble of things definitely happening every time has burst somewhat thanks to the last couple of years,  but on the flip side I think there's more of a "just can't wait to be there" feeling vs a need to know who's playing

13 minutes ago, TheDayman said:

I think it's probably a bit more nuanced than that.

For one, the BBC has a number of channels it can broadcast to. In the event of the Queen clocking off, it may that the Glasto coverage is just moved down the channel ladder.

But they didn't even do that when Philip died did they?  Same coverage on all BBC channels.  I had a very long "discussion" with one of my old school friends when I complained that it was overkill and should be confined to one channel.

15 minutes ago, Bradders said:

I’d actually say this year is a bit calmer in peoples’ need for an announcement. Sure, everyone’s excited and eager, but most years you get at least a few people in a genuine rage that they haven’t yet got what they feel they’re entitled to.

Were you here when the balance window had opened and there hadn't been a lineup announcement? 😬