LAWKS! It’s the Next Announcement Thread 2022!

jparx

5 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

There’s a 10 day operation involving military, police and broadcasters which will run from announcement to investiture of the new monarch. Pretty much nothing resembling normal life will be going on during that period. TV have their scheduled already pre recorded and on standby, Police and military will be organising local events.

Don't be absurd. People aren't going to go to work, come home, cook dinner, go to the pub, watch Netflix? I'm sure life will resemble 95% normality, depending on how much you avoid broadcast TV.

6 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Don't be absurd. People aren't going to go to work, come home, cook dinner, go to the pub, watch Netflix? I'm sure life will resemble 95% normality, depending on how much you avoid broadcast TV.

I’m not sure, everything shut down when Diana died, for the funeral all public transport was off in the North East from memory as I hd to get my mum  to come and pick me up for a party and she wasn’t even a royal technically at the time. The queen will be a much bigger deal and if she dies in the week before Glastonbury I think sadly all bets are off see you in 2023

3 minutes ago, Barneym said:

I’m not sure, everything shut down when Diana died, for the funeral all public transport was off in the North East from memory as I hd to get my mum  to come and pick me up for a party and she wasn’t even a royal technically at the time. The queen will be a much bigger deal and if she dies in the week before Glastonbury I think sadly all bets are off see you in 2023

It would bankrupt the festival, no?

4 minutes ago, Barneym said:

Someone mentioned earlier in this unlikely scenario this happens, that the BBC wouldn't be able to broadcast as usual would they? Which is a big draw for many acts. I didn't even thing of it and wish I hadn't 

6 minutes ago, Barneym said:

Everything didn’t shut down at all, I was a teenager working in a national trust cafe and that still stayed open and had tons of visitors.

3 minutes ago, Earth_pig said:

Someone mentioned earlier in this unlikely scenario this happens, that the BBC wouldn't be able to broadcast as usual would they? Which is a big draw for many acts. I didn't even thing of it and wish I hadn't 

Whilst it is a big draw, cancelling because you can't aren't getting it would seem like a massive dick move.

19 minutes ago, Barneym said:

Organising a massive state funeral with all the heads of state from around the world will take time. If it’s the week before then it should be fine as the funeral will likely be later.

Probably worst case is the lineup is shuffled so the funeral can be broadcast live, if it happens to be that weekend?

17 minutes ago, Earth_pig said:

IF it landed at the right time they'd still be allowed to record it and show it afterwards surely? Plenty of viewing figures to be had still even on a delay. They'd probably be able to put the lot on iPlayer as soon as the 10 days is up too, or maybe even during it if it wasn't shouted about too much.

19 minutes ago, David_303 said:

It would bankrupt the festival, no?

This is certainly something I've thought about in all this - when this 10 days London Bridge plan is activated, the government won't just start paying for businesses who have to close/pubs who've ordered in stock they can't use/furlough etc. So either ordinary people lose money or become very very unhappy. Extends to events too I guess. 

I could see it being a watered down version, maybe where the TV gets taken over, but not as extreme as it would've been when the plan was first thought up?

4 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

IF it landed at the right time they'd still be allowed to record it and show it afterwards surely? Plenty of viewing figures to be had still even on a delay. They'd probably be able to put the lot on iPlayer as soon as the 10 days is up too, or maybe even during it if it wasn't shouted about too much.

This is certainly something I've thought about in all this - when this 10 days London Bridge plan is activated, the government won't just start paying for businesses who have to close/pubs who've ordered in stock they can't use/furlough etc. So either ordinary people lose money or become very very unhappy. Extends to events too I guess. 

I could see it being a watered down version, maybe where the TV gets taken over, but not as extreme as it would've been when the plan was first thought up?

It will be exactly how they want it to be. They don't give a f**k about ordinary people. If they did then they wouldn't have used our money to silence a victim of sexual abuse.

33 minutes ago, Barneym said:

Eh? I went to the cinema and the pub that afternoon 

Wikipedia says "As agreed by Queen Elizabeth II and the prime minister, the day of the funeral will be declared a Day of National Mourning, although a bank holiday will not be granted", so I don't think the festival would be shut down if we don't even get a day off work.

Apart from the TV coverage, the only problem I can see is if glasto needs cops/security/medics on site but they're needed for the funeral.

Certain sections of the press will moan if the festival goes ahead, but they tend to moan about it anyway.

29 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Everything didn’t shut down at all, I was a teenager working in a national trust cafe and that still stayed open and had tons of visitors.

For the funeral really, I remember the Newcastle town centre being like a ghost town but it was 25 years ago so maybe I’m mis remembering. I’m sure the metro system was off because of the funeral.  I know I was in Ku club in Sunderland the night she died, got back and it was on the news she had crashed. As an aside I was very underage to be in that club thinking about it, but what a venue that was in its day.

3 minutes ago, stuie said:

Have I missed something?  Is Queenie on her last legs? 

No, people are just in the "let's catastrophise because there's nothing else to talk about" stage of waiting for an announcement.

She's an old woman now, but she's clearly not on death's door and has all the around-the-clock medical attention and comfortable privilege a multimillionaire royal can get. Even after she inevitably steps down this summer she'll be knocking around for a bit.