LAWKS! It’s the Next Announcement Thread 2022!

jparx

5 hours ago, Olshansky said:

The thing that Glastonbury has going for it that almost no other festival has, is that they've created an environment that everyone wants to spend time in no matter who is on the bill.  I was having a cup of tea one evening in the Healing Fields with a woman about 25 years my senior a few years back and she told me she'd been to every single Glastonbury apart from 3 or 4 of them.  She said she hadn't watched any of the bands in years, and didn't really plan to.  She just wants to be there.  It's the Glastonbury spirit we all talk about, you know?  I've never heard anyone talk about the "V Festival Spirit" or lord help us all, the "Coachella Spirit" - it doesn't exist - at least not in the same way.  Those festivals have to rely on the bands to help them sell their overpriced tickets and takeaway food. 

Increasingly, (and speaking as an american here) I think we are seeing the worst parts of capitalism in our everyday lives, and that in conjunction with some terrible global events taking place, and being surrounded by so much inauthenticity in media - of course Glastonbury sells out in 10 minutes. I'm not saying that the festival is by any means this utopian society or anything, but I think a lot of you will agree with me that when you get on that farm, it's like a salve. And then to know that so many people had to come together to make this thing, this CITY, that only exists for 5 days a year... it's mind blowing. 

One year I was camping next to first timers, and on the Monday morning as we were all putting our tents away I asked them how their festival was.  They said "Do you know that in the entire 5 days we didn't hear anyone having an argument about anything?"  It struck me - I'd never thought about that, but as it happened I don't think I did either.  Now I pay attention to that when I'm there, and it's the strangest thing.  I don't think I've overheard an argument there ever.  I mean, of course people have argued at Glasto, but when you think 200,000 people, half of them exhausted and drinking and taking all kinds of things... Disney needs to drop that "Happiest Place on Earth" BS because it sure isn't Disney - my money's on Glasto.  

ok end rant lol 

Yep that Glasto spirit needs bottling for sure. I always try and describe it but never really manage to but I do think there is something just more unique about a family inviting you to their home for a week and putting on the greatest entertainment they can muster not because they want to make a quick buck but because they want to try and help a lot of charities. I also find that when I am there I marvel at how tolerant they are. You have a dairy farmer who lets people out up stickers saying veganism is the only way. They put on lots of bands/acts that you know absoutely won't be their kind of music. They must put up with so much grief at every stage and honestly when I am there I just think I need to be more Eavis. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Are you really pulling people up given you've talked more shit about being 'in the know' and what positions acts are playing at festivals in the last 6 months than Boris has about covid!

You had to take yourself about due to your own idiocy as pointed out by many for a while......in other words about 12 hours.

There’s no point having a pop at Matt when half the forum doesn’t know what you’re on about.

Still curious to understand your definition of “political”…

Tis a yearly discussion this one. Few things to add. Firstly, that the evolution of the festival has always been in transit. I recall how much resistance there was to dance music seeping into festival in the early 90s. It had stared before, but really began to be a force around this time. I recall my older friends complaining festival had lost its soul and was no longer the alternative festival of indie and underground. Then Britpop, and all the so called negative elements that came with it. Ultimately it was a younger generation of music fans and the previous generation didn't take it too well. 'Not as good as it used to be' is an age old saga. We are by nature a nostalgic bunch. It's a young persons game and we hate to let go. 

On a macro scale, festival decline and the loss of other festivals, is in line with the view that the younger generation, that all festivals need, don't want to see 15 or 20 year indie/rock bands. There are other festivals for this where you take your campervan and caravans as attendees can't sleep in tents at their age 😄

Every year I say I'm too old for this shit. And I probably am... 

12 hours ago, Hugh Jass II said:

My finger slipped off the pulse a long time ago, if it wasn’t for this place I’d know absolutely nothing about modern music. And I’m fine with that.

As Matt said further up, I don’t expect the festival to cater to my 20 years out of date taste.

Yep. I'm 45 and the festival absolutely shouldn't pander to me. There are plenty of festivals out there that do, and I don't want to go to them.

I'm the oldest on my group, the youngest is about 15 years younger, so they help with highlighting good new stuff for me. Although saying that some of them have 'older' taste than me. 

9 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Are you really pulling people up given you've talked more shit about being 'in the know' and what positions acts are playing at festivals in the last 6 months than Boris has about covid!

You had to take yourself about due to your own idiocy as pointed out by many for a while......in other words about 12 hours.

He may talk shit, but you can at least read it.

6 hours ago, Olshansky said:

The thing that Glastonbury has going for it that almost no other festival has, is that they've created an environment that everyone wants to spend time in no matter who is on the bill.  I was having a cup of tea one evening in the Healing Fields with a woman about 25 years my senior a few years back and she told me she'd been to every single Glastonbury apart from 3 or 4 of them.  She said she hadn't watched any of the bands in years, and didn't really plan to.  She just wants to be there.  It's the Glastonbury spirit we all talk about, you know?  I've never heard anyone talk about the "V Festival Spirit" or lord help us all, the "Coachella Spirit" - it doesn't exist - at least not in the same way.  Those festivals have to rely on the bands to help them sell their overpriced tickets and takeaway food. 

Increasingly, (and speaking as an american here) I think we are seeing the worst parts of capitalism in our everyday lives, and that in conjunction with some terrible global events taking place, and being surrounded by so much inauthenticity in media - of course Glastonbury sells out in 10 minutes. I'm not saying that the festival is by any means this utopian society or anything, but I think a lot of you will agree with me that when you get on that farm, it's like a salve. And then to know that so many people had to come together to make this thing, this CITY, that only exists for 5 days a year... it's mind blowing. 

One year I was camping next to first timers, and on the Monday morning as we were all putting our tents away I asked them how their festival was.  They said "Do you know that in the entire 5 days we didn't hear anyone having an argument about anything?"  It struck me - I'd never thought about that, but as it happened I don't think I did either.  Now I pay attention to that when I'm there, and it's the strangest thing.  I don't think I've overheard an argument there ever.  I mean, of course people have argued at Glasto, but when you think 200,000 people, half of them exhausted and drinking and taking all kinds of things... Disney needs to drop that "Happiest Place on Earth" BS because it sure isn't Disney - my money's on Glasto.  

ok end rant lol 

I watched Lost in Vagueness (again) this weekend and Kae Tempest says at the end

...when you see someone in a state lying in the mud at Glastonbury...you pick them up, give them some water, make sure they're ok, we should be doing that outside of the five days of the festival in the real world too. 

• Like 1

There’s definitely a case to be made that the festival needs to evolve or die. Being stagnant just isn’t an option. Emily has obviously been a huge factor in pushing the festival forward and hopefully that will continue in the future with other Eavis’ picking up the baton. 

As I get older I don’t find Glastonbury any less appealing then I did when I was 18, but we’re all outliers on this forum and music obsessed compared to your average punter. So there’s always going to people somewhat left behind. 

I implore everyone to listen to that brief bbc Somerset interview where Michael says the whole dynamic has shifted with booking acts since Emily took over.

When he was in his prime his job was begging acts to play Glastonbury. He says now Emily and Nick have the complete opposite, they get approached by the big agents who will do anything to get their artists on the lineup. 

I’ve said it before the bookings in the 10s and into the 20s signifies to me that Glastonbury have very good relationships with people who manage the biggest acts in the world. I reckon way more people in the biz “get” Glastonbury now. Yes the fee debate will exist for some acts, but due to the fact that many artists now share the same management I question how often this conversation is being had. Perhaps only for the old time acts which now have their own team.

Edited by Matt42

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I implore everyone to listen to that brief bbc Somerset interview where Michael says the whole dynamic has shifted with booking acts since Emily took over.

When he was in his prime his job was begging acts to play Glastonbury. He says now Emily and Nick have complete opposite, they get approached by the big agents who will do anything to get their artists on the lineup. 

I’ve said it before the bookings in the 10s and into the 20s signifies to me that Glastonbury have very good relationships with people who manage the biggest acts in the world. I reckon way more people in the biz “get” Glastonbury now. Yes the fee debate will exist for some acts, but due to the fact that many artists now share the same management I question how often this conversation is being had. Perhaps only for the old time acts which now have their own team.

Definitely agree that the fee thing is less of an issue these days. Some acts are still about the fee (Madonna for example) but most seem happier to take a drop in order to play.

Kendrick being a great example - he took over a million to play Reading/Leeds last time. He’ll be getting nowhere near that from GF for what is his only European festival appearance this year.

Just now, Hugh Jass II said:

Definitely agree that the fee thing is less of an issue these days. Some acts are still about the fee (Madonna for example) but most seem happier to take a drop in order to play.

Kendrick being a great example - he took over a million to play Reading/Leeds last time. He’ll be getting nowhere near that from GF for what is his only European festival appearance this year.

Far more than that for R&L i thought, pretty sure it was their most expensive booking ever or maybe 2nd biggest?

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I still find it mad Kendrick is only doing 3 shows this year. Turned down Coachella and a few others across Europe that would of loved him there. That’s just straight up turning down paydays to play Glastonbury and Glastonbury only in Europe.

Things have changed and it’s great.

Just now, Hugh Jass II said:

Maybe it was a million per set?

However much it was it was way, way more than GF would usually pay. 

More than that I think, not too sure but yeah a lot

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I still find it mad Kendrick is only doing 3 shows this year. Turned down Coachella and a few others across Europe that would of loved him there. That’s just straight up turning down paydays to play Glastonbury and Glastonbury only in Europe.

Things have changed and it’s great.

Given Coachella is in a couple of weeks and there’s still no sign of his material you have to wonder if Kendrick knew his stuff wouldn’t be ready in time. By all accounts he was offered the gig very late in the day so maybe he didn’t want to rush?

Festivals used to mostly be seen as a place for ‘metlers’ or ‘grungers’ then they hit the mainstream and everyone was going to them, and they popped up everywhere. Festivals like V and T were extremely popular for a time but they could never sustain that popularity because ultimately they were just festivals and they were never going to get much repeat business. Glastonbury transcends being a festival, it’s an altogether different experience which people will go back to year on year. I used to go to Bestival before I started going to Glastonbury and they had some incredible headliners, The Cure, Elton, Snoop Dog etc, but other festivals came along and easily replicated and bettered what they were doing so they died off. You can’t replicate Glastonbury, it’s impossible.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2022 at 3:13 PM, Somto Unigwe Raphael said:

Paolo Nutini’s three albums were released 16, 13 and 8 years ago, with the most recent one being the worst selling. What youngsters are turning up to see Paolo Nutini?

he has a new album soon, i've seen.

9 hours ago, kingcrawler said:

2012 was the first year I went, unfortunately missed the great lineups and managed to have the worst festival weather I’ve seen. I agree that TITP would still be going if it was in Balado but I think it would have continued on a slow decline, rather than the fairly rapid ending when it moved.

In contrast, my first year was 2013 and the weather was the best I’ve ever seen in Scotland. What a weekend. 

Yeah I think there would have been a slow ish decline but still it could have done alright some years if the lineup was good. Obv hard to compare but trnsmt sells well cause they have worked out what will sell. It’s hard to compare tho, cause obv going to Glasgow green is like 10 times easier than a camping festival in Perth. Trnsmt is here to stay by looks of things anyway and it suits me better now anyway.

12 hours ago, tarw said:

I have just turned 60 and every year I don’t know half of the acts on the poster. I just listen to @Brave Sir Robin’s playlist and I discover lots of new music.
My tastes have changed over the years but I still find more than enough to sate me at glastonbury. 

To me there is a much more diverse and better quality of music now than when I was younger. 

I don’t think you will get out of touch with 

music because you obviously love it so much, but maybe you’ll mellow a bit and not be so dogmatic 

This.

My knees have gotten creakier and my capacity for managing hangovers has diminished but my ears still work.... 

14 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Let’s be real. I’m going to hit a point at some stage where I look at the glasto lineup and I’m like “who the fuck are all these people”.

It happens to everyone. It SHOULD happen to everyone. I’m at a stage where quite a lot of the bookings are geared toward my age group but it shouldn’t like that forever.

I’m perfectly happy to be “out of touch” with what is cool to book in 10 years time. Won’t stop be going though (ha ha)

Hey Matt, 

I'm 48 years old and this is my favourite initial Glastonbury line up since I've been attending 15 years ago. Hopefully in 10 years time or more you will feel the same. As old timer Jarvis will sing on the Park Stage in a few weeks:

Must I evolve?
Yes, yes, yes, yes
Must I change?
Yes, yes, yes, yes
Must I develop?
Yes, yes, yes, yes
Can I stay the same?
No, no, no, no

Ps i love your enthusiasm for music and festivals.

Chris 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Olshansky said:

I don't think I've overheard an argument there ever.

First night in 2019, early am before sunrise. Some girl in the next tent over for about 20 minutes "I can't believe you all just left me"

Friends "but it's so busy..."

Girl "I'll leave, is that what you want I'll just pack my stuff and go"

This went on until a voice from the distance bellowed

Random man "Well piss off then or go to bed but stop arguing and let us sleep" saying what we were all thinking.

3 minutes ago, Blisterpack said:

Question on behalf of my daughter: I told her she’d get a decent answer here……

what odds DMA’s playing this year? I would have thought maybe half decent…?

Pretty reasonable I would have thought. Playing Edinburgh and Newcastle in June and then no other dates till trnsmt in July. So they’re defo about and could easily slot in somewhere.

25 minutes ago, Blisterpack said:

Question on behalf of my daughter: I told her she’d get a decent answer here……

what odds DMA’s playing this year? I would have thought maybe half decent…?

I think it's quite likely. 

As an aside there seems to be more Aussie acts on the line up this year then normal (I think there's 5 or 6 on that initial poster). Is that coincidence, a fact they haven't toured for a couple of years, or is it a music scene that is really breaking out over here at the moment?   

Edited by kemosabe

21 minutes ago, kemosabe said:

I think it's quite likely. 

As an aside there seems to be more Aussie acts on the line up this year then normal (I think there's 5 or 6 on that initial poster). Is that coincidence, a fact they haven't toured for a couple of years, or is it a music scene that is really breaking out over here at the moment?   

No king gizzard yet though 😞