LAWKS! It’s the Next Announcement Thread 2022!

jparx

52 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Maybe the part where anyone is able to watch the festival around the world has something to do with it. Theyre at least open in that regard. You cant watch Glasto live if you dont live in one specific country. Gatekeeping of the highest order right there. How is that the attitude of an apparent global festival if they dont let anyone see whats actually going on in real time.  80 million people watched the first weekend of Coachella in 2019 on the youtube stream. 43 million watched Beyonce alone in 2018. What are Glastonbury's numbers when it comes to tv ratings or stream ones? Theyre a drop in the bucket compared to just that. 

This is quite an interesting point to be fair - if the BBC allowed glastonbury to be viewed globally it could give the festival the leverage to book bigger acts etc. Unlikely but interesting i guess

51 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

You want to perceive the 1% of people who make it look like its only influencers trotting around doing everything and not seeing any music to be the norm, but its not. If that same thing happened at Glastonbury you would be furious. But fortunately its not 2 hours away from everything that makes the rest of the world go round when it comes to entertainment. It isnt their fault you see it as bikini clad women running around a desert paradise while glasto is seen as just folks that are stuck in the mud looking depressed.

Maybe the part where anyone is able to watch the festival around the world has something to do with it. Theyre at least open in that regard. You cant watch Glasto live if you dont live in one specific country. Gatekeeping of the highest order right there. How is that the attitude of an apparent global festival if they dont let anyone see whats actually going on in real time.  80 million people watched the first weekend of Coachella in 2019 on the youtube stream. 43 million watched Beyonce alone in 2018. What are Glastonbury's numbers when it comes to tv ratings or stream ones? Theyre a drop in the bucket compared to just that. 

Coachella had people using wristbands to checkin to stages back in 2012 when I went. 

In my opinion there are festivals over here definitely that fit the fill for certain cultures and genres that we now have to include due to politics when there is already a market for them.

42 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I think you’re confusing “commercial” with “popular”. Throughout its 50 year history the festival has always booked the most popular acts of any given time to headline and play on their biggest stages.

The word “commercial” means fuck all. The likes of Travis and Stereophonics weren’t being booked to headline in the early 00’s out of some dogmatic obsession with guitar music, it’s because that is what was selling by the shit load at the time. The only difference now is that the stuff you like isn’t popular anymore.

Yes but why do Glastonbury have to book acts due to politics that are well covered at festivals attended by those really into that? 

I've thought Glastonbury was changing, direction going wrong and far too many people for a few years by the time Friday comes but I just want to get my 10 years in and hang the boots up.

5 minutes ago, gfa said:

This is quite an interesting point to be fair - if the BBC allowed glastonbury to be viewed globally it could give the festival the leverage to book bigger acts etc. Unlikely but interesting i guess

Do we know for sure they don’t allow it? Surely it would be down to Glastonbury to sell the rights globally (like football for example) I would assume there isn’t a huge demand for it so probably something they just haven’t bothered with. 

54 minutes ago, kemosabe said:

This is the key to any festival line up discussion. The opposite is also true though right? Acts at the time might have seemed really poppy and completely at odds with the festival, but now are regarded as legends.  The Smiths in 1980 for example. At the time there was outrage they were headlining and the festival was moving away from it's hippy roots. 

“A lot of people didn’t believe The Smiths should be playing,” recalled Michael Eavis of the set, which he regards as one of the most influential in Glasto’s history. “People were going ‘What’s happened to Santana, then?’ I said, ‘This is not Santana, this is The Smiths.’ They didn’t like it.”

https://www.nme.com/festivals/glastonbury/20-sets-that-shook-glastonbury-the-stories-behind-worthy-farms-most-memorable-ever-performances-757137

Yes good point, it absolutely works both ways.

Either way I’m not so sure there has suddenly been this big sea change in terms of approach to booking that some seem to think there has been. Ok, there is an obvious attempt to have an equal gender split on the poster, but it’s not like people such as Beyoncé and Adele haven’t headlined before. There are definitely more female acts elsewhere on the bill, but is that a Glastonbury thing, or just a reflection of society now compared to 10/20/30 years ago? Isn’t Glastonbury just reacting to what’s happening in the world already, rather than blazing a trail itself?

I genuinely don’t know the answer, but are there just more prominent female artists in the charts (or streaming figures) now than say 10/20/30 years ago?

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

If the sales get easier tbh I think it’s a good thing. Lots of people want to go and fail because of how quickly it sells out. Maybe an easier sale is a good thing. It will still sell out.

Also this resale sold out in like 15 minutes I don’t get where this argument has come from. What other festival sells out in 15 mins nowadays?

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

If the sales get easier tbh I think it’s a good thing. Lots of people want to go and fail because of how quickly it sells out. Maybe an easier sale is a good thing. It will still sell out.

Also this resale sold out in like 15 minutes I don’t get where this argument has come from. What other festival sells out in 15 mins nowadays?

Technically it sold out in 15 minutes but people were still buying tickets after half an hour due to the new card verification stuff/bottle gate, but obviously your overall point stands, no other festival seeks out even in 30 minutes.

Just now, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Technically it sold out in 15 minutes but people were still buying tickets after half an hour due to the new card verification stuff/bottle gate, but obviously your overall point stands, no other festival seeks out even in 30 minutes.

Yeah it’s a metric completely exclusive to Glastonbury. If R&L takes 4 months to sell out they will call it a success. 

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Yeah it’s a metric completely exclusive to Glastonbury. If R&L takes 4 months to sell out they will call it a success. 

10-15 years ago R/L used to sell out as quickly as Glasto.

Used to be that the lineup was announced at 6pm, tickets went on sale at 6.30 and by 7 weekend tickets were gone.

Glastonbury not instantly selling out would be glorious. I know loads of people who would love to go, and probably absolutely fall in love with the place that have never got lucky. I think a lot of people who have never managed to get a ticket have given up - would be lovely to see these people succeed one year.

(I’ve had a pint or two)

Edited by Matt42
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Yes but why do Glastonbury have to book acts due to politics that are well covered at festivals attended by those really into that? 

I've thought Glastonbury was changing, direction going wrong and far too many people for a few years by the time Friday comes but I just want to get my 10 years in and hang the boots up.

Glastonbury book acts because people like them, not because of politics. Just because they aren’t your thing, doesn’t mean they are not for others.

Let’s be real. I’m going to hit a point at some stage where I look at the glasto lineup and I’m like “who the fuck are all these people”.

It happens to everyone. It SHOULD happen to everyone. I’m at a stage where quite a lot of the bookings are geared toward my age group but it shouldn’t like that forever.

I’m perfectly happy to be “out of touch” with what is cool to book in 10 years time. Won’t stop be going though (ha ha)

Edited by Matt42
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I think you also need to unpick what you mean by the word "commercial". The music industry itself has changed, it's much much bigger than it used to be. People no longer define themselves through the genre of music they listen to. There are more big tours than ever. More people go to see live music than ever, especially in the UK. Glastonbury might be more main stream now but is anything actually alternative anymore when everyone has access to everything on Spotify and the gate keepers of what was considered to be cool (NME, Radio 1 et al) have all basically died off?

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Yes good point, it absolutely works both ways.

Either way I’m not so sure there has suddenly been this big sea change in terms of approach to booking that some seem to think there has been. Ok, there is an obvious attempt to have an equal gender split on the poster, but it’s not like people such as Beyoncé and Adele haven’t headlined before. There are definitely more female acts elsewhere on the bill, but is that a Glastonbury thing, or just a reflection of society now compared to 10/20/30 years ago? Isn’t Glastonbury just reacting to what’s happening in the world already, rather than blazing a trail itself?

I genuinely don’t know the answer, but are there just more prominent female artists in the charts (or streaming figures) now than say 10/20/30 years ago?

I agree with you on both points. 

I personally just think its a poster thing as you say. The effort is to get a more even gender split on the poster in the last couple of years and also more non-white acts. Personally it's a great thing because the first Glastonbury poster gets massive media exposure for the general public (as well as to the likes of me, who will pour over that poster and at least listen to basically everyone) and therefore the festival helps promotes some of these names. Even if some of those on the poster do end up playing lower stages at the festival, they get initial exposure which will hopefully grow them for future years. 

I think when the line up comes out you'll still see the likes of White Lies, Franz Ferdinand etc. on the line up and playing the top two stages as per usual (also someone like Bloc Party i'd expect to be there). But they're not going to be on that initial poster and lets be honest those acts don't need that exposure. 

I also agree that there is more prominent non-male acts in the music industry more widely in recent years and therefore the line up has to reflect those wider changes. But people need to remember this is the festival that had Suzanne Vega in 1989 and Skunk Anise in 1999, female and non-white headliners is hardly a completely new concept for the festival in the past few years, even if they are striving to promote more these days. Also as I said earlier this is a festival that isn't afraid of moving with the times, we've had waves of Indie, Britpop, Hip-Hop, Dance, Pop and now Grime throughout the years and it hasn't been the initial hippy festival since about 1981 when New Order headlined for the first time. 

Edited by kemosabe
  • Upvote 4

@kemosabe hard agree. Streaming has changed everything. People dip into different genres now more often.

People don’t listen to one genre now and one genre only. This is why I think a lot of people who only listen to 90s bands are having a problem with the modern music scene. Things have changed. People don’t see music as tribalism, they listen to a bit of everything.

I’m gassed at the idea of Harry Styles playing and I’m going to see Tool in May. People have changed.

13 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Glastonbury not instantly selling out would be glorious. I know loads of people who would love to go, and probably absolutely fall in love with the place that have never got lucky. I think a lot of people who have never managed to get a ticket have given up - would be lovely to see these people succeed one year.

(I’ve had a pint or two)

Totally anecdotal but one of my mates was desperate to go around 2011/2013/2014 but we didn’t get tickets, at the time I wasn’t that fussed about it and didn’t really try that hard for various reasons. He was massively into his indie (still is and is very much stuck in that era) and then you ended up with AM headlining in 2013 and Kasabian in 2014, two of his favourite bands. I ended up getting my act together in 2015 and made a conscious effort to get tickets. He basically cocked a strop at missing out in 2013/14 and refused to go or try for tickets, he’s been the same every year since and just won’t entertain it. The stupid thing is I could’ve got him tickets each time, and he’s obsessed with Liam Gallagher who I’ve seen twice there now, but he won’t have any of it, it’s like Glastonbury is dead to him because he couldn’t get tickets.

39 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Do we know for sure they don’t allow it? Surely it would be down to Glastonbury to sell the rights globally (like football for example) I would assume there isn’t a huge demand for it so probably something they just haven’t bothered with. 

I mean who knows behind the scenes, but they probably wouldn't want teams from every country filming every set and how it is the BBC does all that for them. Maybe the BBC could sell it off to other countries or something, but they won't share it for free as its paid for with taxpayer money i guess

3 minutes ago, gfa said:

I mean who knows behind the scenes, but they probably wouldn't want teams from every country filming every set and how it is the BBC does all that for them. Maybe the BBC could sell it off to other countries or something, but they won't share it for free as its paid for with taxpayer money i guess

everyone would get the same footage, like football matches. At the world cup final there is not 150 different camera teams set up