LAWKS! It’s the Next Announcement Thread 2022!

jparx

16 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

Do we have much evidence that they avoid this kind of thing tho? Like I know it makes sense, but I thought the forum had come to some kind of conclusion pre-2020 that they don’t really seem to care about clashes. 

Looking back at the last few festivals the only time I can see the Other and Pyramid having acts from the same genre is Saturday 2017 when the Foos and Alt-J headlined their respective stages, and even that is a push.

Before that you're looking at 2011 when U2 went up against Primal Scream.

What's the motive for putting on an act to deliberately pull the crowd away from Macca? In terms of creating a spectacle with the most number of people singing along to songs like Hey Jude, and having had to postpone the last two years, would they not want an absolutely massive crowd for him as a big festival 'moment'? 

4 minutes ago, Green Croc said:

What's the motive for putting on an act to deliberately pull the crowd away from Macca? In terms of creating a spectacle with the most number of people singing along to songs like Hey Jude, and having had to postpone the last two years, would they not want an absolutely massive crowd for him as a big festival 'moment'? 

Because the Pyramid field can't hold 200k people, it struggles with half that.

When the Stones played they had to put out messages that the field was closed due to too many people in it.

13 minutes ago, Somto Unigwe Raphael said:

Paolo Nutini’s three albums were released 16, 13 and 8 years ago, with the most recent one being the worst selling. What youngsters are turning up to see Paolo Nutini?

Yeah and anything macca has done which anyone cares about happened before they were born. 

nutini would get a decent crowd regardless where he plays. By young I meant like <35 years old who are less likely to care about macca. 

Just now, Hugh Jass II said:

When the Stones played they had to put out messages that the field was closed due to too many people in it.

From what I seen them warnings weren't listened too haha, I've never seen so many people walking to an area in my life.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Makes sense cheers. This will be my first year so don't have an accurate idea of the size of the areas

5 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Yeah and anything macca has done which anyone cares about happened before they were born. 

nutini would get a decent crowd regardless where he plays. By young I meant like <35 years old who are less likely to care about macca. 

Yeah fair enough I was assuming you meant like teenagers/20 year olds, the type of people you’d expect to be in the Other Stage field when acts like Major Lazer have headlined it previously.

7 minutes ago, Somto Unigwe Raphael said:

Yeah fair enough I was assuming you meant like teenagers/20 year olds, the type of people you’d expect to be in the Other Stage field when acts like Major Lazer have headlined it previously.

Paolo is a weird one to be honest, being Scottish it skews my perception of him cause he’s gigantic up here. Headlining trmtmt and it’s the best selling day even over Lewis capaldi. 

But then I see down south he seems to headline more mid tier events but still of a fair size. The weird one is him doing Knebworth below kasabian, doesn’t make sense to me at all cause that is a low slot. 

9 minutes ago, mjfiddy said:

We'll all be at Little Simz on Saturday anyway (hopefully if the scheduling Gods make it so).

I am already struggling with this one. I am team Simbi all the way. I love and adore her and am actually the first person to have suggested she should headline West Holts but I was brought up on the music of The Beatles and whilst I know he is well past his best and she is at the absolute top of her game. I don't know if I can turn down what will probably be my only chance to see a Beatle live. 

Last time we had this dilemma it was Lizzo vs Janet Jackson. I went Team Lizzo which was absolutely the right call but I think this one will go to the wire because both heart and head say Simbi but there's a little bit of higher heart saying but he's a Beatle.  

13 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I am already struggling with this one. I am team Simbi all the way. I love and adore her and am actually the first person to have suggested she should headline West Holts but I was brought up on the music of The Beatles and whilst I know he is well past his best and she is at the absolute top of her game. I don't know if I can turn down what will probably be my only chance to see a Beatle live. 

Last time we had this dilemma it was Lizzo vs Janet Jackson. I went Team Lizzo which was absolutely the right call but I think this one will go to the wire because both heart and head say Simbi but there's a little bit of higher heart saying but he's a Beatle.  

If it was Paul on the Sunday i'd absolutely be monging out in a state of physical and emotional brokenness on the pyramid hill having a sing-a-long but the Saturday night throws me off it a little bit, i just need someone respectful and trendy (and probably second on my want to see list) like Simz to be playing so when i get asked why i didn't watch a Beatle when i had the chance i can sound uber hipster... 

Phoebe on the Park Friday (sacrifice to the scheduling Gods) is the one i don't want Simz to clash with!

Just now, mjfiddy said:

If it was Paul on the Sunday i'd absolutely be monging out in a state of physical and emotional brokenness on the pyramid hill having a sing-a-long but the Saturday night throws me off it a little bit, i just need someone respectful and trendy (and probably second on my want to see list) like Simz to be playing so when i get asked why i didn't watch a Beatle when i had the chance i can sound uber hipster... 

Phoebe on the Park Friday (sacrifice to the scheduling Gods) is the one i don't want Simz to clash with!

Yep she is also on my list. I have already seen Little Simz at Albert Hall in Manchester and I have no doubt I will see her again and again which I think is my reason for thinking should I take this chance to see a Beatle. Oh the agony of way too much choice. It's why I never understand the complaints about the line up I wish I could be a time traveller when I'm at the festival. 

12 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Oh the agony of way too much choice

"My least favourite thing about Glastonbury is there's just too much choice" 😅

It's why the festival is great, (and probably something we lose the perspective of sometimes), no matter where you are or what you're seeing or how you feel about it, someone there is having the best time and it's the highlight of their festival 

Haven't read too far back on this thread, but was looking the other day and Flume has new music out (with a forthcoming album), he's quite the different crowd to Macca, and appears to have a little hole in his tour around the festival. I don't know if he's been fully ruled out or not but he seems on paper like a perfect fit for Other Stage Headliner material? 

Edited by Obiginnaw