LAWKS! It’s the Next Announcement Thread 2022!

jparx

I do hope they get the Pangea swinging moon thing sorted out, but obviously health and safety is a big factor.

On that ridiculously hot day in 2019 we took a breather in some shade near Pangea and watched as a guy on safety harness walked along the length of the boom, checking every light and connection to make sure everything was safely attached. Obviously you can’t take any chances when you’ve got crowds directly below something like that.

4A452D84-67C5-4BFC-AD3E-09EBCB889C5B.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

A lot of these DJs get booked without a stage in mind and only give date availability. So places on stuff like Pangea etc only get firmed up a month or so before the festival.

Case in point many DJs have told me before they are playing but don’t know the stage.

Are they not booked by separate area agents though? For instance, those booking them for Arcadia would be different to the Glade. Also, I'd imagine the higher profile names would demand to have a little more information on the stage/venue. Calvin Harris for instance may turn down a Wow Stage slot but be much more interested in something on Pangea

34 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah the 2019 edition was a bit lacklustre and didn’t have nearly the oomph of the spider so hoping they’ve put some work in to improving it and working out the kinks. Kind of sucked having a big wrecking ball be part of the wow factor and then not really be able to use it because they didn’t factor in the wind etc. 

Yeah my thoughts exactly. 

The spider was superb and one of my fave things at the festival. Seeing it develop over the years gives me hope they can do something as impressive with Pangea. 

24 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

A lot of these DJs get booked without a stage in mind and only give date availability. So places on stuff like Pangea etc only get firmed up a month or so before the festival.

Case in point many DJs have told me before they are playing but don’t know the stage.

That's not true. 

Each area has its own booking team and agents tout their acts for specific places.

There may be instances where a DJ is booked multiple times and thus the areas will work together to offer a deal to the agent. 

20 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Are they not booked by separate area agents though? For instance, those booking them for Arcadia would be different to the Glade. Also, I'd imagine the higher profile names would demand to have a little more information on the stage/venue. Calvin Harris for instance may turn down a Wow Stage slot but be much more interested in something on Pangea

Yes but quite often DJs play multiple sets and there is a bit of lineup sharing. Obviously the big acts (stage headliners) will be fixed in place but the supporting bill is very flexible. 

33 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Tell you what though on the Pangea front and the fact Calvin Harris is performing under his Love Regenerator alias there coupled with the fact he's performing as Calvin Harris at R1's big weekend it does have me thinking still that there is a potential he'll do so at Glastonbury as well.

Am I the only person that thinks he's complete and utter shite?

1 hour ago, JoeyT said:

Tell you what though on the Pangea front and the fact Calvin Harris is performing under his Love Regenerator alias there coupled with the fact he's performing as Calvin Harris at R1's big weekend it does have me thinking still that there is a potential he'll do so at Glastonbury as well.

Thinking about this and I can't believe he's not being mentioned more for that Saturday Other headliner if there is one missing. He fits the younger dance act slot we are missing and he's potentially on site. Can't really think of any other acts who would fit the slot profile so to speak and do a good job of crowd control.

2 hours ago, Divein said:

Thinking about this and I can't believe he's not being mentioned more for that Saturday Other headliner if there is one missing. He fits the younger dance act slot we are missing and he's potentially on site. Can't really think of any other acts who would fit the slot profile so to speak and do a good job of crowd control.

He doesn’t tho, I couldn’t think of anyone my age (mid 20s) that would see him in any circumstance, never mind any younger.

maybe I’m well out of touch but his peak popularity with the low 20s and late teens was a long time ago, I can only think a big Glastonbury slot for him like that would be turgid and poor attended.

I saw him (without my knowledge) supporting Swedish House Mafia back in 2013, sandwiched between Snoop Dogg and Tinie Tempah, and none of us were aware he played until after - we thought they’d just stuck a playlist on between acts.

Edited by MaxPower

6 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

He doesn’t tho, I couldn’t think of anyone my age (mid 20s) that would see him in any circumstance, never mind any younger.

Yeah I think it's the case that he did fit that slot a few years ago, but the perception hasn't moved as those young people have got older. He'd still be a decent alternative from a crowd perspective, but probably not as perfect as it seems to some. 

7 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

Yeah I think it's the case that he did fit that slot a few years ago, but the perception hasn't moved as those young people have got older. He'd still be a decent alternative from a crowd perspective, but probably not as perfect as it seems to some. 

Definitely - as far as similar acts go I would much much much prefer Disclosure

3 hours ago, MaxPower said:

I would have agreed with you, but he recently sold out a huge outdoor gig in Belfast the Saturday before Glasto in only 10 minutes!  I managed to get my 16 year old daughter and her friend tickets in the presale and she told me literally every one she knows (15-17 age group) was trying and loads lost out.  This is part of a series of outdoor gigs held in Ormeau Park over the course of June and most still have tickets still available including Liam Gallagher.  Calvin sold out so quick she knows people who have paid £80-£90 for tickets that were £50 Face value.  Go figure!

3 hours ago, circus92 said:

I would have agreed with you, but he recently sold out a huge outdoor gig in Belfast the Saturday before Glasto in only 10 minutes!  I managed to get my 16 year old daughter and her friend tickets in the presale and she told me literally every one she knows (15-17 age group) was trying and loads lost out.  This is part of a series of outdoor gigs held in Ormeau Park over the course of June and most still have tickets still available including Liam Gallagher.  Calvin sold out so quick she knows people who have paid £80-£90 for tickets that were £50 Face value.  Go figure!

That’s interesting, tho I do remember as a teenager in NI gigs like that always sold out quickly kind of regardless of who was playing because there was fuck all else to do.

also I defo was more thinking 18-25 age range, rather than younger.

Edited by MaxPower

2 hours ago, MaxPower said:

That’s interesting, tho I do remember as a teenager in NI gigs like that always sold out quickly kind of regardless of who was playing because there was fuck all else to do.

Lol - there is definitely a bit of that.  Definitely nowhere near the same amount of options over here.

However my point was that it isn’t really “regardless of who is playing”. There are 9 gigs on and most of them haven’t sold out yet even though they were announced ages ago, and yet Calvin sold out in just 10 mins.  He is definitely more popular than people realise.

1 minute ago, circus92 said:

Lol - there is definitely a bit of that.  Definitely nowhere near the same amount of options over here.

However my point was that it isn’t really “regardless of who is playing”. There are 9 gigs on and most of them haven’t sold out yet even though they were announced ages ago, and yet Calvin sold out in just 10 mins.  He is definitely more popular than people realise.

Yeah no fair enough