LAWKS! It’s the Next Announcement Thread 2022!

jparx

9 minutes ago, discgoesmic said:

So general commentary in my group (who like every genre you can imagine) is it's a very safe lineup overall and it appears that the festival is going more alternative, possibly straying from the really big commercial names aside headliners.

I thought the exact opposite

4 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Just realised who the actual Saturday night Other headliner might be: Glass Animals.

I absolutely love Glass Animals and keep up with them a lot, but I cannot see it yet. They don't have the festival experience in the UK yet and have only just started headlining stuff in the UK. Would be massive if true though i hope it is as they deserve it

6 minutes ago, leonaves said:

What's the consensus about missing names from the 2020 poster? My gut is that if they were on that first poster and aren't on this one, they're not playing.

You mean like if there are a few which pop up later? Yeah, those chances went way down. If they had stayed on from 2020 this whole time they wouldve been there.

time to count how many carried over

In the absence of Taylor, seeing Phoebe there has put a huge spring in my step this morning. Absolutely delighted, my one true clash-busting artist on the line up. It really is a belter of a first announcement, plenty to get excited about on first viewing and I shall start the digging on the unfamiliar now. EXCITED!!!!!!!

Just now, Ddiamondd said:

Fair play. It would be speculative but not out the question when you think of acts over the years who have got that early elevation.

Think they'll be subbing Other at a minimum. John Peel would be at Streets danger levels if they were headlining on Sunday against Kendrick and PSB.

I think Other sub would be a good slot or maybe headlining the Park/WH?

Their Reading/Leeds slot I would say suggests maybe not Other headline - although they have just hit #1 in the US too. Ridiculous slow burn for Heat Waves, the longest ever infact -  its pretty awesome

7 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Could be one of the acts Emily was alluding to as a modest 2020 booking who have become huge in the interim.

British band, of the moment, have been booked for the Other before...feels more likely to me than a punt on Doja Cat, who is statistically massive worldwide but unproven for a UK fest/Glasto audience.

Yeah, could see it in an alt-J kinda way. 

Loads of great stuff, and I'm flicking through the artists I don't know much about, and adding to me list that I might see.

My wife says the facebook groups are a dumpster of people moaning.  Try actually listening to the bands first?  So many genres represented on that line up, very happy!

11 minutes ago, circus92 said:

Yeah I totally get that, but after years of watching some cracking Pyramid headliner sets on TV and wishing I was there, and then finally getting tickets for the first time you sort of think the odds of getting at least one you like are pretty good.

Every other Glasto for the last 10 years there has been at least one if not 2 I would have been right into, and then the year I get to go has none.  After waiting so long for the Poster drop it just feels a bit disappointing for me.

The thing is for your first time pretty much any Pyramid headliner can be special, it’s a spectacle in its own right. My first was Florence, I was always totally ambivalent towards her but was totally blown away by the whole thing and have loved her ever since, but it’s was purely because of the Glastonbury Pyramid headliner moment, and with it being my first it being special. 

I’m also not a huge Radiohead (ducks) or Coldplay fan, but loved both of their sets.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

Didn't manage to get tickets but will try in the re-sale. Looked to start with and thought 'Meh!' but then looking at the text list I would still watch all of these:

Diana Ross
Amyl & The Sniffers
Blossoms
Charli XCX
Courtney Barnett
Crowded House
Elbow
Foals
Fontaines D.C.
Griff
HAIM
Holly Humberstone
Idles
Inhaler
JARV IS
Jessie Ware
The Jesus and Mary Chain
Little Simz
Lorde
Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds
Olivia Rodrigo
Pet Shop Boys
Phoebe Bridgers
Primal Scream
Sam Fender
Self Esteem
Sigrid
Skunk Anansie
Squid
St. Vincent
Supergrass
TLC
The Waterboys
Wet Leg
Wolf Alice

Edited by wozwebs

6 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Overall, for me its a decent line up. Just nothing that I "must" see. Lot's that I'd like to though. Which means... clashes

Other than Diana Ross

I'm exactly the same. Some huge names. Just not many within my sphere...at the moment. Come June 22nd when those gates open, I'll be still trying to decide between some killer clashes.

The initial poster has always been slightly underwhelming for me, probably because of the ridiculous build-up. Maybe because we pretty much guess 95% of it during that time. I'm all about the rogue announcements, the specific areas, etc. That's when I peak.

And let's not forget the absolute coup of securing Kendrick when (almost) every other major festival either couldn't get him or said he wasn't touring. 

• Upvote 1

2020 was already good, but the new names added for 2022 are basically among my favourite bands: Idles, Wolf Alice, Foals, Lorde... (and keeping Kendrick in, as I was not interested in Taylor).

Superb work and I have the feeling as per Emily tweet that we will still have more things to come.

Just Flo as a secret set and I am done!

Just now, Greenelk said:

My wife says the facebook groups are a dumpster of people moaning.  Try actually listening to the bands first?  So many genres represented on that line up, very happy!

I never understand this people seem to want to like every name on the line up when in actual fact that scenario would be a nightmare. If you like a quarter of that line up your weekend is already sorted. Given how much has still not been released and the troubling times (both covid and serious war) they have pulled it out of the bag. 

Was all set to do some work on the train but a quick glance at the Guardian where I saw it had landed (came straight here to peruse the acts) saw a quick end to that. A whopping 18 solid acts there for me which is more than I usually get on the final drop. A big ol' Macca thumbs up from me.

8 minutes ago, gfa said:

I think Other sub would be a good slot or maybe headlining the Park/WH?

Their Reading/Leeds slot I would say suggests maybe not Other headline - although they have just hit #1 in the US too. Ridiculous slow burn for Heat Waves, the longest ever infact -  its pretty awesome

Yeah I think Other sub. Supergrass and Years & Years seem obvious for two of our Other subs, Glass Animals seem a decent shout for the third one. Glass Animals into Doja Cat on Saturday night seems reasonable while Noel and Macca are on the Pymild.

just totalled up… that’s a shit tonne of acts I’d like to see. No way I’m going to see them all. That’s insane. Don’t think I’ve ever reached a number that high for any festival I’ve been to!

Billie Eilish
Paul McCartney
Kendrick Lamar
Diana Ross
Beabadoobee
Bicep
Caroline Polachek
Charli XCX
Clairo
Doja Cat
Fontaines D.C.
Girl In Red
Glass Animals
Griff
HAIM
Holly Humberstone
Jessie Ware
Kacey Musgraves
Little Simz
Lorde
Megan Thee Stallion
Mitski
Nightmares on Wax
Olivia Rodrigo
Pet Shop Boys
Phoebe Bridgers
Primal Scream
Robert Plant & Alison Krauss
Róisín Murphy
Sam Fender
Self Esteem
Sigrid
St. Vincent
Supergrass
TLC
Turnstile
Wet Leg
Wolf Alice
Years & Years

Just now, RarerThanDandyB said:

Phoebe Park Friday pls xx

This is my hope, either that or a slot on the Other.

With the Doja talk, she sub headlining Coachella. This is a massive get for Glastonbury, as much as we laughed at Matt for going on about it, my main thing of her not being there was her size vs the audience of Glastonbury. But they got her.