LAWKS! It’s the Next Announcement Thread 2022!

jparx

Just now, Matt42 said:

It’s not just that really it’s a mix of things. My point is that it’s a dangerous game to become too comfortable and rest on “oh well we sell out no matter what we do”

A financial crisis, cost of living crisis, a war, a pandemic, a competitor, demographic shift, whatever. Business 101 is to never consider yourself invincible.

But those factors you mention above have absolutely fuck all to do with whether they release a lineup now or not. If people choose not to pay now then so be it, let’s not pretend those tickets won’t fly out the door in the resale.

Again, do you genuinely believe not releasing a poster now will prevent a single person from paying a deposit in October?

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass II said:

But those factors you mention above have absolutely fuck all to do with whether they release a lineup now or not. If people choose not to pay now then so be it, let’s not pretend those tickets won’t fly out the door in the resale.

Again, do you genuinely believe not releasing a poster now will prevent a single person from paying a deposit in October?

No you’re deliberately misinterpreting what I’m saying. My point was about the festival resting on the idea that it will sell out anyway, when we know that a non-sell out year could seriously damage the festivals ability to run. Not really much to do with the lineup it’s just one factor.

41 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Things have changed. I’m noticing that people who I know who have been before haven’t paid their balance either.

I honestly think it's the pandemic. People value their money more than they did previously. Pre-pandemic, I'd have done Glasto as well as maybe a smaller festival and a couple of day festivals.

This year, I'm not going to be able to do all of that. I could go to Glasto or I could go to a few outdoor gigs across the summer.

7 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I’ve said before that I have sympathy for those who want to see the lineup now they’ve paid. But the impatience from some who should know better is a joke.

To infer that not releasing anything this week could do long term damage to the festival is ridiculous, hysterical and quite frankly utter bollocks.

I think it depends on what the lineup is when it does eventually drop. If it's as strong as ever, great.... But it could xause a lot of damage if we pay balances before the lineup and then we get a poor group of names. I'd imagine lot of people won't be confident next year laying down their money in advance if that's the case 

Just now, Harry_W01 said:

Excuse my ignorance, has it always been the case we get a lineup/poster before the balance deadline week? I can understand why people are frustrated 280 odd quid is quite a lot for some people to part with without a full lineup or a poster imo

People paying more than ever before and getting less than they’ve done in previous years.

Ballsy move from the festival if they can pull it off. They no doubt will. But during a cost of living crisis and 2 years off due to the pandemic it feels like a strange thing for them to do.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Curious to know what you mean by this?

So we all know you dont get the biggest pay day for Glasto. But getting booked there with a good spot on a stage and billing should translate into better bookings and tours everywhere else. When we talk about artists "making the jump" and stuff this is part of that. Agents and labels use festival bookings/font sizes to get better spots for their artists whenever possible. 

This was all brought up in the glasto doc of greatest headliners theyve released on bbc.  Straight up quotes  "the money artists receive at glastonbury compared to other events is minimal. You dont do it for the money you do it for the exposure." Emily quoted "we have to sell that to people; i know youre not gonna get loads of money up front but in 6 months your  profile will be massive".  So the festival just straight up said that its a way to get you career bigger so dont worry about the check, youre playing for future earnings, not current ones. So how many artists want to roll the dice and do that, or feel that they can skip it? Covid has certainly wrecked that a bit cause a bunch of acts got bigger without even performing one gig. That makes it more difficult to book somebody.

And it very much points towards trying to get some more up and comers before they truly explode. I mentioned it with olivia rodrigo. They might be lucky and get her now before she potentially turns into a future stadium artist and at least have some good favor. so then in a few years it might be easier to book again and not haggle over money. 

edit: i havent paid my balance cause waiting a few days isnt a bad thing. Its not that i dont want to go, i just didnt want an error to be made and such. And if i had issues they could be resolved before tuesday anyway.

Edited by Suprefan

1 minute ago, Harry_W01 said:

Excuse my ignorance, has it always been the case we get a lineup/poster before the balance deadline week? I can understand why people are frustrated 280 odd quid is quite a lot for some people to part with without a full lineup or a poster imo

680697925_Screenshot_20220111-091842_SamsungNotes.thumb.jpg.a7a2cfbc8b488927716741bd33b51ba6.jpg

• Thanks 2

If it means more of the members here have a chance in the resale due to more tickets in the pot, I’m happy to wait.

Would rather a ticket went to people crazy enough to stick out a Glastonbury forum for two barren years, than someone who got one on a whim and wants assurances. 🤷🏻‍♂️

(I can understand the other side of the argument before the pitchforks come out)

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

I remember when I suggested that the resale might be decent this year and there weren’t many that agreed with me … 

I’ve always thought there’d be more in the pot this year. So much shit has happened. Hope you snag the golden resales.

13 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

No you’re deliberately misinterpreting what I’m saying. My point was about the festival resting on the idea that it will sell out anyway, when we know that a non-sell out year could seriously damage the festivals ability to run. Not really much to do with the lineup it’s just one factor.

I’m not deliberately misinterpreting anything. You have implied that not releasing anything suggests the festival is taking people for granted. Now you are saying that it’s “just one factor” - what are the others?

Personally I can see that you’re desperate for an announcement of some kind and you’re getting a little hysterical.

I think the mistake everyone, including me, has made is thinking that bringing the balance deadline forward automatically means the lineup comes forward to.

Under normal circumstances we would still be at least 2-3 weeks away from anything coming out. Looks to me like the festival are just sticking to their usual timelines for announcing.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I’m not deliberately misinterpreting anything. You have implied that not releasing anything suggests the festival is taking people for granted. Now you are saying that it’s “just one factor” - what are the others?

Personally I can see that you’re desperate for an announcement of some kind and you’re getting a little hysterical.

Well now you’re not reading what I’m saying.

They aren’t taking people for granted but they are taking the fact that they always sell out for granted. Or that they feel like they can shake things up and make people pay full balances before seeing the lineup. I’m not doubting they can pull it off, it’s just not a decision I would make in the current circumstances. I just think it’s ballsy for a festival that relies on instant sell out to start assuming customer behaviour.