LAWKS! It’s the Next Announcement Thread 2022!

jparx

11 hours ago, chazwwe said:

I mean, they don't need to do it during the balance week.

I'd love to know the number of times someone has come out with "it must be today/tomorrow/this week/next week" so far, and been wrong every time.

Ultimately, we've bought tickets to Glastonbury Festival, not to a specific combination of acts. While a poster could come before the window closes, I've never understood the insistence that it's inevitable. They'll get 90%+ of people renewing regardless, and any tickets that do come spare can easily be shifted several times over in the resale.

2 minutes ago, kalifire said:

It’s fun to guess. 

It’s also a clear pattern in recent years that the poster drops before the balance deadline. We have sod all else to go on with the distinct lack of patterns, so it’s obviously something we’ve been factoring in to predictions. I think everyone here buys tickets regardless of the lineup and there’s no element of demanding the poster drops beforehand, but it’s developed in to a pattern and something we anticipate is likely to happen. If it doesn’t, we move on and continue speculating.

• Upvote 1

Exactly. There has been a precedent set that a lineup poster arrives before balance window closes.

imo it would be hard to envisage that not repeating. Even if its during the balance week rather than before it opens i would be shocked if nothing comes pre 7th march.

although the resale will inevitably be done inside 10 mins i dont think the eavii see it this way, are grateful for all the support but never rest on their laurels / assume an easy sell out. A poster gets them in the news cycle & reminds people to pay up.

Dunno about your group but mine would probably appreciate a lineup push at balance time.

I’ve got a few first timers (obviously super excited) but they may be a bit miffed with the idea of handing over £250 without seeing the lineup. Especially in these circumstances.

I know Glasto isn’t about the lineup but they haven’t fully experienced the festival yet so they aren’t quite at the level yet where they would go for it anyway. The cost conscious ones in the group would definitely do it, but with a bit of a grumble.

11 hours ago, chazwwe said:

I mean, they don't need to do it during the balance week.

News regarding Russia/Ukraine could be bad for a long while yet. 

Theyve finally had to start fitting things into a time frame and not just go by instinct and such. Those times of announcing a poster in April are long gone. If they didnt want to put themselves in a bind then they shouldnt have updated when the payment was going to be due. Cause then its just an educated guess as to when the poster was coming once  that info is out there. They could just say the balance window opens one day after the poster drops. You then wont be able to predict when its coming except based on prior releases. They at least give themselves some flexibility.

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Dunno about your group but mine would probably appreciate a lineup push at balance time.

I’ve got a few first timers (obviously super excited) but they may be a bit miffed with the idea of handing over £250 without seeing the lineup. Especially in these circumstances.

I know Glasto isn’t about the lineup but they haven’t fully experienced the festival yet so they aren’t quite at the level yet where they would go for it anyway. The cost conscious ones in the group would definitely do it, but with a bit of a grumble.

Yeah I have to agree with this. And I'd really like to believe the festival understand this angle too. Obviously us on here don't mind that much but we are in our bubble.

7 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Theyve finally had to start fitting things into a time frame and not just go by instinct and such. Those times of announcing a poster in April are long gone. If they didnt want to put themselves in a bind then they shouldnt have updated when the payment was going to be due. Cause then its just an educated guess as to when the poster was coming once  that info is out there. They could just say the balance window opens one day after the poster drops. You then wont be able to predict when its coming except based on prior releases. They at least give themselves some flexibility.

That’s a bit of a pain for anyone trying to reasonably plan when they’re going to have to pay it.

9 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

Yeah I have to agree with this. And I'd really like to believe the festival understand this angle too. Obviously us on here don't mind that much but we are in our bubble.

Although in contrast we've got first timers coming and they aren't bothered about the line up before the balance payment because they've seen and heard enough about it to know what its like anyway.

Power of things like vlogs on youtube and whatever else is that nothing is a surprise anymore!

Given demand I think the festival probably feel these days that it's just proper to release the first poster before people are forced to make a decision. Sure the festival doesn't need to do it, and I'm sure the majority of ticketholders would pay regardless. But I don't think it's something the festival will ever take for granted, and I think they want ticketholders to be in a position to make an informed decision. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Jakeyboi135 said:

I'm sure there's plenty of people with tickets who aren't as financially secure as they were back in 2019. Being asked to have over £250 with only 3 or 4 names could well push them to give up their ticket. 

This has happened to 2 first timers from my group who have already decided - 2 more in the pot

35 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

Also agree. Despite the fact I would happily pay it blindly (as would everyone using this forum I imagine), I think a lot of general festival-goers and punters would not feel too positively about parting with the full £280 before seeing at least some of the line up - particularly those with less disposable income. Glastonbury is Glastonbury regardless of the line up, but there are still other festivals/events which people may prefer to spend their money on if it meets their tastes more, or if their favourite artist is playing elsewhere. And I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

I think you're right that the festival understand this too, after a pandemic I would imagine they'll be sensitive about this and will drop the poster/first initial names on Monday or Tuesday. Could be wrong though!

9 hours ago, SighMo said:

This was shot was taken from the popular viewpoint on the Mull of Kintyre.

CD8F8134-25C0-4495-84F5-73BC9176B0AD.thumb.jpeg.f557ac4013669339b00d3a7817dc021c.jpeg

Behind the island is the Mull of Kintyre, took this a few months ago. !  Interesting fact, during the great freeze of 1962/63 the Beatles played to an audience of 20 in Dingwall and another one of 100 drunk farmers in Stirling after being stranded in Scotland.  So playing to the full pyramid field will be a piece of piss for a Macca ! 

1 hour ago, Suprefan said:

Ridiculous take! Expecting 135,000 to just pay up £230 with one day’s notice?

You’d get a lot of returns. We’re all obsessive so would know within an hour or two of a poster drop, but there are also people who forget about the payment window, even with media build up and multiple reminders. 

As for the money side of this, sure, plenty of people would have it readily available, and plenty would just keep it to one side, but there are probably far more people who save for it and put a bit aside each month. Knowing when you need the money available for is crucial to those people. The fact most festivals offer instalment payment methods is testament to that (plus making it seem cheaper initially so tempting more people into committing). 

15 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

CD8F8134-25C0-4495-84F5-73BC9176B0AD.thumb.jpeg.f557ac4013669339b00d3a7817dc021c.jpeg

Behind the island is the Mull of Kintyre, took this a few months ago. !  Interesting fact, during the great freeze of 1962/63 the Beatles played to an audience of 20 in Dingwall and another one of 100 drunk farmers in Stirling after being stranded in Scotland.  So playing to the full pyramid field will be a piece of piss for a Macca ! 

So hang on, we are saying that Emily posted a picture referencing a Macca tune last night? Seems like they maybe pulled the official announcement but Emily dropped that in as Easter egg of sorts.

42 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

Given demand I think the festival probably feel these days that it's just proper to release the first poster before people are forced to make a decision. Sure the festival doesn't need to do it, and I'm sure the majority of ticketholders would pay regardless. But I don't think it's something the festival will ever take for granted, and I think they want ticketholders to be in a position to make an informed decision. 

Exactly this, we all know they don’t need to release the lineup before balance window, but they wouldn’t be where they are today if they ever took that for granted. I can’t ever see them being complacent or arrogant enough to ever believe it will be an automatic sell out, that would be the beginning of the end for any business (I know they’re not a business in the normal sense, but their existence still relies on selling something and always being able to sell it)

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton