LAWKS! It’s the Next Announcement Thread 2022!

jparx

17 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I don't see any reason why Melvin Benn should have any more influence in the programming of the festival now than he did in the naughties. IMHO, he's there for his compliance and logistics expertise, just like last time.

Yeah, this. I know he’s the face but realistically he isn’t hands-on with booking FR festivals anyway and is more operationally-focused, as he will be at Glastonbury.

9 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Yeah, this. I know he’s the face but realistically he isn’t hands-on with booking FR festivals anyway and is more operationally-focused, as he will be at Glastonbury.

Everyone is talking as if Melvin is an unknown quantity whose presence will radically change the festival, when in fact the last time he was involved, the festival evolved into its modern form. Other than the movement of JP and Arcadia, I can't think of anything significant* that's happened to the festival since he left. The Eavii were broadly happy with the kind of festival they were running in the last Benn era, at least from a creative standpoint.

* Ok, also the expansion of The Glade from a stage into an area.

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

I would assume that Emily and co would keep a level of creative license over bookings so to speak?

From what Emily has said in the past there are different bookers for each of the wider stage areas although she can veto and sets general criteria like increasing female artists to 50%. Main stage areas are still mainly her and Nick I think?? 

28 minutes ago, sedra said:

From what Emily has said in the past there are different bookers for each of the wider stage areas although she can veto and sets general criteria like increasing female artists to 50%. Main stage areas are still mainly her and Nick I think?? 

I recollect Michael saying on a documentary last year that for some stages a budget is given to individual stage bookers to book bands.  I would imagine that’s stages such as Acoustic, Avalon etc. it’s an incredibly complex  exercise booking acts for so many stages, and all just for us to moan about clashes!😊

I wonder what they do about booking acts, so acts aren’t approached by multiple stages. Maybe they get everyone to submit a list of acts they’d like to approach and where there are duplicates, assign them to a specific stage? The logistics must be fascinating. 

2 minutes ago, kalifire said:

I wonder what they do about booking acts, so acts aren’t approached by multiple stages. Maybe they get everyone to submit a list of acts they’d like to approach and where there are duplicates, assign them to a specific stage? The logistics must be fascinating. 

whatever they do ... Its clearly not working 🙂 fatboy slim wants a word 🙂

44 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Surely if one stage approaches an artist thats already booked, the artist would just say they are already booked / if they approach at similar times the stages decide who gets them

1 hour ago, kalifire said:

I think they have a whole set of people who approach acts I don’t think stages approach them directly. They will have visibility over what acts are being targeted.

If their office is anything similar to my office we will have a longlist / fridge list of who we would like to do business with (and in their case book).

I think a lot of acts in the pyramid / other stage space probably get booked first and then slotted in either later. 

39 minutes ago, Somto Unigwe Raphael said:

Think if we get any headliner announcement soon it’ll be Dua Lipa as Florence and the Machine currently have no tour dates announced.

Florence is expected to be announced at a few places in Europe around glasto time as earlier as tomorrow (templehof berlin)

25 minutes ago, gfa said:

Florence is expected to be announced at a few places in Europe around glasto time as earlier as tomorrow (templehof berlin)

Ah fair enough, thanks for letting me know.

In that case I could see an announcement for any of Dua Lipa, Florence and the Machine or Harry Styles in the coming weeks.

9 hours ago, kalifire said:

I think it's quite the opposite, especially for the smaller acts (esp DJs). I believe that if someone is known to be playing elsewhere, they are blagged to also play somewhere else, for the same fee.

25 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I think it's quite the opposite, especially for the smaller acts (esp DJs). I believe that if someone is known to be playing elsewhere, they are blagged to also play somewhere else, for the same fee.

Not sure about the fee aspect, and don't know whether this is still the case or not as I believe allocations have increased, but I know one big factor in the past has been wristbands - if a booker can get someone who's already going to be on site, then it helps preserve the limited number of wristbands available.

Stage bookers can also work together to coordinate this - One band I knew years ago ended up playing 3 sets across the weekend as it was the only way to get the 5 wristbands they needed for the 4 band members plus the sound tech.