LAWKS! It’s the Next Announcement Thread 2022!

jparx

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Mrs J made an interesting point over dinner, Stormzy was announced first for 2019, Taylor was pre-Christmas and now Billie…

Is it now a bit of a thing to announce the potentially contentious ones nice and early so that it calms down well in advance of the festival?

Not sure. I feel we’ve got a bit of a Macca situation where the Eavii’s hand has been forced. 
Think in a normal world you’d announce your returners first.

2 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

I imagine the most contentious for 2020 and likely 2021 is gonna be Kendrick, so much so that they'll prob wait till the poster again.

I dunno, Kendrick’s announcement barely caused a ripple last time. I don’t think having a rapper at the top of the bill causes much of a stir these days.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

I dunno, Kendrick’s announcement barely caused a ripple last time. I don’t think having a rapper at the top of the bill causes much of a stir these days.

I mean when the poster dropped I think I was more worried about the festival being cancelled. Most of the dialogue online was too.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

I mean when the poster dropped I think I was more worried about the festival being cancelled. Most of the dialogue online was too.

True, but I don’t think Kendrick headlining is that big a deal anymore. We had Stormzy in 19, Kanye 15…. it’s happening more and more.

I think a teenage female pop star will come under more scrutiny than another male rapper.

5 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

True, but I don’t think Kendrick headlining is that big a deal anymore. We had Stormzy in 19, Kanye 15…. it’s happening more and more.

I think a teenage female pop star will come under more scrutiny than another male rapper.

I think what this teaches me is how loud social media is and “social media backlash” should always be taken with a pinch of salt.

Also that some people are waiting to jump in and call Glastonbury headliners shit.

They could book Billie, Kendrick, Taylor in the same year and they would say too modern.

They could book Fleetwood Mac, Paul McCartney, Elton John in the same year and people would say too old.

They could book a balanced lineup of new and old, and people would complain there is either not enough old or not enough new.

But every year the festival sells out and the crowd on the night love it. A lot of noise but you don’t get the full picture.

12 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I think Kendrick just doesnt spell controversy compared to the previous 3 rappers. Jay Z was first and you saw how that was treated by everyone. Kanye is Kanye. Stormzy hit close to home so it was very much going to cause a divide.

Kendrick just does what he does and thats it. Could almost argue he is the neutral booking out of the 3. He is going to be able to hide on the poster due to McCartney being who he is and Billie making waves for anything she does.

Despite some acceptance of rappers as headliners it is still not going to cause an instant positive reaction when its announced. If they said Arctic Monkeys were headlining there would be a huge explosion of “GET IN! A ROCK BAND! “ Anything outside a certain purview gets shredded.

There is still a long way to go when it comes to this anyway because now the next thing will be if one year has 2 females in the trio then it will just seem like the apocalypse to some old punters.

Edited by Suprefan

2 hours ago, Suprefan said:

You would believe that after Jay Z, Beyonce and Kanye all had their names on the poster that there would be progress, yet here we are. The straw clutching is ridiculous. I would easily assume that Arctic Monkeys did not receive this type of negativity because of their age or type of music they played in 2007, I wonder why. 

Not clutching at straws, all the acts I listed bore the hell out of me. But I think it's a question worth asking: where do you put acts that previously headlined the festival that just aren't relevant enough to headline any more? That's literally why they started making a fuss of the "legend" slot - because there were acts they wanted to book, could afford to book, but who felt they were big enough to headline and didn't want a lower slot. Hence this "fourth headliner" nonsense. 

If you wanted the Arctic Monkeys to play the festival, where would you put them? Because they're not relevant enough to headline the Pyramid any more. Or Jay-Z for that matter.

Edited by DeanoL

27 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I think what this teaches me is how loud social media is and “social media backlash” should always be taken with a pinch of salt.

Also that some people are waiting to jump in and call Glastonbury headliners shit.

They could book Billie, Kendrick, Taylor in the same year and they would say too modern.

They could book Fleetwood Mac, Paul McCartney, Elton John in the same year and people would say too old.

They could book a balanced lineup of new and old, and people would complain there is either not enough old or not enough new.

But every year the festival sells out and the crowd on the night love it. A lot of noise but you don’t get the full picture.

This.

people just love to be angry about something on social media, best off ignoring it as I’m sure the Eavii do.

8 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Not clutching at straws, all the acts I listed bore the hell out of me. But I think it's a question worth asking: where do you put acts that previously headlined the festival that just aren't relevant enough to headline any more? That's literally why they started making a fuss of the "legend" slot - because there were acts they wanted to book, could afford to book, but who felt they were big enough to headline and didn't want a lower slot. Hence this "fourth headliner" nonsense. 

If you wanted the Arctic Monkeys to play the festival, where would you put them? Because they're not relevant enough to headline the Pyramid any more. Or Jay-Z for that matter.

Legend slot?

Can’t believe anybody with half a brain gives a fuck about “social media backlash”.

What even is it? 

Some dweeb who has never been to Glastonbury starting a petition about Kanye headlining? 

Or someone else “outraged” that a young female pop star is headlining instead of The Geriatric Boys. 

Who takes this shit seriously? 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

If you wanted the Arctic Monkeys to play the festival, where would you put them? Because they're not relevant enough to headline the Pyramid any more.

This website is fucking mental sometimes.

If Arctic Monkeys are around with a new album they’d be one of the first acts Glastonbury would try to book to headline.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Can’t believe anybody with half a brain gives a fuck about “social media backlash”.

What even is it? 

Some dweeb who has never been to Glastonbury starting a petition about Kanye headlining? 

Or someone else “outraged” that a young female pop star is headlining instead of The Geriatric Boys. 

Who takes this shit seriously? 

The media looking for clicks and people on efestivals that don’t like the headline act looking for support.

"Social media backlash" is attached to every single story these days. If the festival wish to reduce it, and quite frankly I don't think they (rightly) give a fuck, they'd be better served releasing the entire lineup in one go. Even then, certain outlets would extract the tiny minority of negative comments (invariably from those that have no intention of attending or via Eastern European troll farms) and sensationalise them for numbers. 

Clickbait is like a wasp. Ignore it and it'll go away. 

Edited by Supernintendo Chalmers
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

We asked this about The Cure. The answer is the same - still headline the pyramid when there's nobody better about.

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

Theyll headline again so I dont know where you think AM has zero business being on top of the poster again. It would potentially be 10 years from their last appearance if AM were booked for 2023. Theyre barely in their mid 30’s on top of that. Prob have another appearance following that before in 2045 they get the legend slot. 

2 hours ago, assorted said:

Yeah it won't be Kendrick that will cause a reaction it will be the realization that Billie Eilish is the replacement for Taylor Swift. 

Which from a read of social media earlier certainly doesn’t seem to be the case yet. Twitter and Instagram seem confident she’ll be on the Sunday, so as you say, I expect a shitshow when they find out that isn’t the case.

10 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

You should make a thread for this 

We need to know the earth wont have been destroyed by then.

6 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Which from a read of social media earlier certainly doesn’t seem to be the case yet. Twitter and Instagram seem confident she’ll be on the Sunday, so as you say, I expect a shitshow when they find out that isn’t the case.

Theyre going to be in for a hell of a reality check. I think what is worse is that Billie will likely get harassed in the lead up to the fest and it isnt her fault at all.

13 hours ago, kingbadger said:

I imagine the most contentious for 2020 and likely 2021 is gonna be Kendrick, so much so that they'll prob wait till the poster again.

Kendrick has so much more history both album wise and also he did R&L 2 years ago, has probably done Wireless a few times etc - Billie is still really new and hasn’t headlined a festival here yet from what I can think of.

• 2 weeks later...