LAWKS! It’s the Next Announcement Thread 2022!

jparx

I’m going out on a limb, leaning in to the excitement of today and I reckon we’ll get all the headliners and Ross announced before Christmas, and even before the December. Seems like they’re all sorted, Ross seems obvious and Macca is probably just twiddling his thumbs waiting to be announced. Kenny is the one that might take longer depending on his other plans but I think we get them all in the next 7/8 weeks.

Announcement wise from last time there was an act revealed in Oct, Nov, Dec and Feb before the poster in March. They should just have one in January on top of that and that’ll do it. 

Maybe they skip announcing Diana and give a new name? For 2019 they announced Janelle Monae as a West Holts headliner for example, why not do that sort of thing again.

6 minutes ago, jparx said:

I’m going out on a limb, leaning in to the excitement of today and I reckon we’ll get all the headliners and Ross announced before Christmas, and even before the December. Seems like they’re all sorted, Ross seems obvious and Macca is probably just twiddling his thumbs waiting to be announced. Kenny is the one that might take longer depending on his other plans but I think we get them all in the next 7/8 weeks.

Last couple of years we got to October and suddenly Kendrick started dropping festival dates for the following summer. While I doubt GF will announce him any time soon I'd expect to see a few Euro festivals announce him that will all but confirm him.

I think the announcements pre poster will be “new” acts that are playing the festival. So ones not on the 2022 lineup. They typically get the press attention and work best with gathering hype.

At least one headliner will be saved for the post, reckon it will be Kendrick just like last time.

1 hour ago, Ddiamondd said:

😡😤Absolutely raging. Why give it to a nobody when the fans are crying out for a proper rock band? Muse are right there! I've been a Glastonbury fan for 30 years, but enough's enough. Time to support a real fest, like Isle of Wight.

ha h raging after 2 years of no Glastonbury - a year ago we were all saying we'd take the wurzels headlining. She's so relevant, how can you be raging ? May not be to your taste but raging? seriously? Unless you;re a 'booker' for the pyramid I'd say raging is a rather self entitled view 🙂 I may not be there, but its a decent booking and will make people talk far more than Muse (And I am a muse fan) - BTW IOW is a good festival if you feel the need to support them 🙂

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I think the announcements pre poster will be “new” acts that are playing the festival. So ones not on the 2022 lineup. They typically get the press attention and work best with gathering hype.

At least one headliner will be saved for the post, reckon it will be Kendrick just like last time.

Is there any reason not to post the lineup sooner than later? Seems like most acts have been organising tours a lot earlier than normal lately (due to less availability in gig venues) and also to secure a steady income from festival slots. They could really mix things up with a pre-xmas poster with a couple new people + confirming the acts returning from 2020...

Let's not forget the balance payment window has been brought forward by a month, so if they leave it all until the new year, there are only two months left. I'd think at least another couple of names before Christmas.

Actually, it would be nice to see some headliners for other stages given their time to shine as well, rather than all dumped in one poster.

Edited by kalifire

5 hours ago, Ddiamondd said:

😡😤Absolutely raging. Why give it to a nobody when the fans are crying out for a proper rock band? Muse are right there! I've been a Glastonbury fan for 30 years, but enough's enough. Time to support a real fest, like Isle of Wight.

Raises an interesting point, to be honest. They definitely seem to be pushing to have most of the acts headlining the Pyramid to be modern, relevant, high profile acts. Maybe the festival could do a with a space for your Muses, your Arctic Monkeys, your Kasabians... can it be made appealing for them to headline the Other after they've headlined the Pyramid? Or would acts opt to never go back like that? Could the festival try and do something similar to the Legend slot but for 90s/00s rock acts?

5 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Raises an interesting point, to be honest. They definitely seem to be pushing to have most of the acts headlining the Pyramid to be modern, relevant, high profile acts. Maybe the festival could do a with a space for your Muses, your Arctic Monkeys, your Kasabians... can it be made appealing for them to headline the Other after they've headlined the Pyramid? Or would acts opt to never go back like that? Could the festival try and do something similar to the Legend slot but for 90s/00s rock acts?

Or... we could just have a mix of newer and older acts like we currently do?

Raises an interesting point, to be honest. They definitely seem to be pushing to have most of the acts headlining the Pyramid to be modern, relevant, high profile acts. 

The last band to play it was The Cure and the headliner following on from Bill is looking like Macca.

Maybe the festival could do a with a space for your Muses, your Arctic Monkeys, your Kasabians... can it be made appealing for them to headline the Other after they've headlined the Pyramid? Or would acts opt to never go back like that? Could the festival try and do something similar to the Legend slot but for 90s/00s rock acts?

They can open the Other Stage with the rest of the landfill.

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

You would believe that after Jay Z, Beyonce and Kanye all had their names on the poster that there would be progress, yet here we are. The straw clutching is ridiculous. I would easily assume that Arctic Monkeys did not receive this type of negativity because of their age or type of music they played in 2007, I wonder why. 

6 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Mrs J made an interesting point over dinner, Stormzy was announced first for 2019, Taylor was pre-Christmas and now Billie…

Is it now a bit of a thing to announce the potentially contentious ones nice and early so that it calms down well in advance of the festival?

I imagine the most contentious for 2020 and likely 2021 is gonna be Kendrick, so much so that they'll prob wait till the poster again.