LAWKS! It’s the Next Announcement Thread 2022!

jparx

47 minutes ago, ChemicalBrother said:

Billie isn’t my cup of tea & frankly I don’t think she’s meant to be my cup of tea - but I’d rather have her headline than keep rolling out the same old Coldplay/Radiohead/Muse/ Cure etc, because if you keep rolling them out, you’ll keep getting the same attendees & the festival eventually stagnates.

it’s the young headliners like Billie that keep the festival fresh & opens it to a new wave of young audiences. Even if her demographic may not be there in numbers, at least it puts the idea of attending Glastonbury in the future somewhere on her demographic’s radar. 

More or less this. But the idea of having newer and younger headliners always gets shit down because 90% of punters want their “rock n roll” And dont care about the Dua, Billie or Taylor’s of the world. I brought it up a while ago as to whats going to happen when the current batch of old legacy headliners is exhausted and you have to looking at artists who are 3 or 4 albums deep in their career for whats next. Cause are we going to consider somebody like Arcade Fire as a new legacy act because theyre in their early 40’s? Thats going to apply to lots of acts. I mean Arctic Monkeys are in their mid 30’s and have seemingly achieved legacy status with Glasto cause they headlined at 20 years old. And people seem to think Dave is set to be a fiture headliner and he is on album 2. So does the too early in the career only stick to a uk act that turned massive or the once in a blue moon transcenda t one like Billie.

Edited by Suprefan

54 minutes ago, ChemicalBrother said:

Billie isn’t my cup of tea & frankly I don’t think she’s meant to be my cup of tea - but I’d rather have her headline than keep rolling out the same old Coldplay/Radiohead/Muse/ Cure etc, because if you keep rolling them out, you’ll keep getting the same attendees & the festival eventually stagnates.

it’s the young headliners like Billie that keep the festival fresh & opens it to a new wave of young audiences. Even if her demographic may not be there in numbers, at least it puts the idea of attending Glastonbury in the future somewhere on her demographic’s radar. 

Agreed with all of this and I like that some nights I'm forced away from pyramid. It seems like they're in a good place with newer headliner (Stormzy, Beyonce, Ed Sheeran etc), a vintage/classic act (Stones, Macca, Cure) and an established act (Arctics, Killers, Coldplay). Obviously 2020 would have been different with taylor/king kenny in pot one but it's rare that there's not normally at least one headliner I'm keen on.

Curious how they handle these announcements if it’s true we’ve got 3/4 main acts back. Do they address Taylor head on as not returning for 2022 or just announce each act in turn (Macca first I’d reckon) and let it speak for itself? Can see the Billie announcement causing some disappointment when it becomes clear she’s the Taylor the replacement if it’s not handled properly. Might not matter in the grand scheme though.

Edited by jparx

Just now, jparx said:

Curious how they handle these announcements if it’s true we’ve got 3/4 main acts back. Do they address Taylor head on as not returning for 2022 or just announce each act in turn (Macca first I’d reckon) and let it speak for itself? Can see the Billie announcing causing some disappointment when it becomes clear she’s the Taylor the replacement if it’s not handled properly. Might not matter in the grand scheme though.

I think it’s more likely that the festival will let things speak for itself, but I can imagine them announcing Billie as she’s the “new” headliner of the batch.

Without being pedantic though I’d say festival goers are used to not getting 100% of their 2020 lineups back so it wouldn’t go down as bad as you think.

6 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I think it’s more likely that the festival will let things speak for itself, but I can imagine them announcing Billie as she’s the “new” headliner of the batch.

Without being pedantic though I’d say festival goers are used to not getting 100% of their 2020 lineups back so it wouldn’t go down as bad as you think.

Maybe - not sure if I've seen many festivals retain 3/4 of their headliners though? Sticks out as a bit more obvious!

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Give us the mother fucking poster. Knowing the headliners in September is both a blessing and a curse.

Nobody "knows" anything in September.  Especially not in these uncertain times.  Even if bookings are signed on paper, I don't blame them for holding back until next year for an actual poster.

4 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Nobody "knows" anything in September.  Especially not in these uncertain times.  Even if bookings are signed on paper, I don't blame them for holding back until next year for an actual poster.

Oh I don’t expect them to announce a poster at all it’s not in Glasto’s style. It’s just once we actually get the first tip off of who the headliners actually I wanna see the full bill! Which I’m sure will be banging.

My guess is we will get Diana reconfirmed and probably one headliner (my guess Billie as she’s ‘new’).

Then the first poster in Feb with Paul and Kendrick on it.

Edited by Matt42

23 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Give us the mother fucking poster. Knowing the headliners in September is both a blessing and a curse.

Nobody knows anything until it officially drops. eFests has been wrong before (albeit not often) and this far out, things can change even if intel was solid, and that’s without a global pandemic. 

I reckon they’ll leave it until the new year, personally. If they announce a headliner before then I think it’ll be Macca, if he’s doing it. 

13 hours ago, kalifire said:

Nobody knows anything until it officially drops. eFests has been wrong before (albeit not often) and this far out, things can change even if intel was solid, and that’s without a global pandemic. 

I reckon they’ll leave it until the new year, personally. If they announce a headliner before then I think it’ll be Macca, if he’s doing it. 

Exactly. Even confirmed headliners have failed to materialise in the past, especially in 2020.

17 minutes ago, jparx said:

Billie announced this week surely? Bold to go with her first - love it.

I thought it would be this way. There is more “news” in announcing someone that is ‘new’, rather than someone everyone expects to be back.

Now begins the waiting game to see how long Glastonbury will wait on this…