LAWKS! It’s the Next Announcement Thread 2022!

jparx

14 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Well Firefly did sell out in advance and they announced the line up not too long before. There were options to see Billie other than Firefly, Governors Ball and Life Is Beautiful.

let’s do this, which of the other fests that Billie is headlining in the u.s compare to being close with Glasto in terms of having older attendees mixed in with the kids

13529373-3779-4EAB-A597-88B648058C50.jpeg

A858E15A-1603-4FD5-96DC-32FCE9337191.png

FDE6F179-15D0-481F-A6F4-3AD5D84DFD91.jpeg

Sorry my point was not just age, but also UK/US divide. 

she’s definitely an international headliner, and isn’t necessarily out of place as a Glastonbury headliner, just think she’ll get a smaller crowd than other would-be, or recently previous, Glastonbury headliners.

Same as if Stormzy headlined a festival in the US, while I dunno, Tyler was on another stage at the same time. 

2 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

Sorry my point was not just age, but also UK/US divide. 

she’s definitely an international headliner, and isn’t necessarily out of place as a Glastonbury headliner, just think she’ll get a smaller crowd than other would-be, or recently previous, Glastonbury headliners.

Same as if Stormzy headlined a festival in the US, while I dunno, Tyler was on another stage at the same time. 

Hmmm I think you may be underestimating her. 2 number 1 albums in the UK, sold out a shit tonne of UK dates (what is it 5 or 6 dates at the O2 amongst various other dates up and down the country). She had one of the biggest singles of 2019 and a BOND theme to boot. She will be one of the biggest and most recognised acts on the bill that weekend. 

I see a lot of people bringing up 2019 and thinking that means she will get exactly that again… as if she hasn’t grown at all since then. She was what 17 at the time and has definitely improved her signing and live performance. Her confidence and stage ability just seems to be growing and growing as time goes on.

I have a feeling she will smash it and this forum will be awash with converts afterwards 🤪

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Hmmm I think you may be underestimating her. 2 number 1 albums in the UK, sold out a shit tonne of UK dates (what is it 5 or 6 dates at the O2 amongst various other dates up and down the country). She had one of the biggest singles of 2019 and a BOND theme to boot. She will be one of the biggest and most recognised acts on the bill that weekend. 

I see a lot of people bringing up 2019 and thinking that means she will get exactly that again… as if she hasn’t grown at all since then. She was what 17 at the time and has definitely improved her signing and live performance. Her confidence and stage ability just seems to be growing and growing as time goes on.

I have a feeling she will smash it and this forum will be awash with converts afterwards 🤪

I think the key thing is if she does understand the importance of it. Im still going to argue that the show overall will be no different than the entire tour because its in the middle of dates and there is no significant time off to sort out what gets done at Glasto. There is a date the next night back in London and this just ends up being another show on the calendar more than anything. Of course if Chris Martin shows up that is something else, but will it enhance the performance or just seem random?

Youve watched the video from these last fests and you see the energy and excitement from everyone, but its 3 gigs in. We arent at gig 50 in the summer after running through most of Europe and youre in a much different state. If there is truly a reliance on the audience being as receptive and she needs them to be, that might be the hinderance of being so far away from them on the Pyramid. There will def be some curiosity because its a Pyramid headliner, but where will it come to the point of the average attendee when they feel that ( to them ) it’s all the same and you cant hear her vocals or think its miming. So you leave and find something else to watch that evening. 

im really interested in the tv audience response for this. Cause all the kids who dont have a ticket will be glued to the tele that night. Will their opinions matter more than whoever saw it in person?

10 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

I think the key thing is if she does understand the importance of it. Im still going to argue that the show overall will be no different than the entire tour because its in the middle of dates and there is no significant time off to sort out what gets done at Glasto. There is a date the next night back in London and this just ends up being another show on the calendar more than anything. Of course if Chris Martin shows up that is something else, but will it enhance the performance or just seem random?

Youve watched the video from these last fests and you see the energy and excitement from everyone, but its 3 gigs in. We arent at gig 50 in the summer after running through most of Europe and youre in a much different state. If there is truly a reliance on the audience being as receptive and she needs them to be, that might be the hinderance of being so far away from them on the Pyramid. There will def be some curiosity because its a Pyramid headliner, but where will it come to the point of the average attendee when they feel that ( to them ) it’s all the same and you cant hear her vocals or think its miming. So you leave and find something else to watch that evening. 

im really interested in the tv audience response for this. Cause all the kids who dont have a ticket will be glued to the tele that night. Will their opinions matter more than whoever saw it in person?

Did you watch her latest interview with Clara on BBC? Billie says when she first played she didn’t understand the importance of Glastonbury but she gets it now.

4 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Weird thing to say though (and she's not the first to say it), "I didn't understand the importance of Glastonbury so thought I'd just turn in a half arsed performance and get away with it. Next time I'll try harder."

She was probably 16 when she got booked and she’s lived in LA her entire life.

I too also attended Glastonbury in my teenage years and didn’t understand the importance of it. My second visit was my favourite because it was all so new to me.

3 hours ago, JoeyT said:

Let's say it's Billie Eilish on the Friday then.

Who's she up against on the other stages? My uneducated punt:

Other - Pet Shop Boys

West Holts - Groove Armada

Park - Little Simz

My guess would be something like:

Other - Royal Blood (depending on whether QOTSA are available)

John Peel - Fatboy Slim

Holts - Little Simz

Park - Manics

6 hours ago, Suprefan said:

You have to understand that having a really good agent gets you those billing placements. And lets add that the lack of talent even available for this time period makes you even more in demand if youre willing to perform anytime and anywhere. So festivals dont have a choice but to cave on poster placement. Its the biggest arguments that happen between promoters and agents cause it means dollars.

It probably helps from a  logistics point of view that he's a one man band.

Feel like the misogyny in this thread is overwhelming. God forbid that a young woamn could be headling and her legion of child stans won't have tickets to fill out her crowd. Its impossible that casual music fans might turn up and see her like they do for every other act.

Didn't see the same level of fear that the field would be full of dads wearing eyeliner when they were dusting the cobwebs off Bob Smith for 2019....

• Downvote 2

8 hours ago, Mattymooz said:

Feel like the misogyny in this thread is overwhelming. God forbid that a young woamn could be headling and her legion of child stans won't have tickets to fill out her crowd. Its impossible that casual music fans might turn up and see her like they do for every other act.

Didn't see the same level of fear that the field would be full of dads wearing eyeliner when they were dusting the cobwebs off Bob Smith for 2019....

Where would you say there is misogyny? Could you provide examples?

I’ve seen a few people raise concerns over her ability to hold a casual crowd due to her lacklustre previous showing and a new album that isn’t exactly chock full of big crowd pleasers. I would argue these are pretty valid concerns. It might be that she walks out and smashes it like Adele and Beyoncé did, but there’s also potential for people to get bored and drift away ala Kanye.

Not every question or concern raised regarding a female artist is inherently misogynistic.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

8 hours ago, Mattymooz said:

What a load of bollocks.

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I’ve seen a few people raise concerns over her ability to hold a casual crowd due to her lacklustre previous showing and a new album that isn’t exactly chock full of big crowd pleasers. I would argue these are pretty valid concerns. It might be that she walks out and smashes it like Adele and Beyoncé did, but there’s also potential for people to get bored and drift away ala Kanye.

Not every question or concern raised regarding a female artist is inherently misogynistic.

Quite. 

Remember all those discussions about how the field would be empty for Metallica? The misandry was overwhelming.

Billie is all about the setlist I think. Her setlist at Reading was spot on and she had the crowd from start to finish eating from her hand. It would have been the same at Glastonbury without the audio issues - you really can just throw that show out as a basis to judge her live show.

The new album is great but clearly a the majority of songs don’t scream “live crowd pleaser” (although arguably people thought that with the first record and it ended up working), so pacing, and how she starts, is key. She has more than enough bangers to sustain a headline show, just has to use them wisely and not have too many long stretches with the more low key stuff. I know it’s not the done thing and she probably won’t do this, but I’d really start with something from the first album, probably bury a friend, to just get the crowd on side from the off.

Edited by jparx

8 minutes ago, jparx said:

Billie is all about the setlist I think. Her setlist at Reading was spot on and she had the crowd from start to finish eating from her hand. It would have been the same at Glastonbury without the audio issues - you really can just throw that show out as a basis to judge her live show.

Problem is for many people, especially on here, that show is their only frame of reference. 

13 minutes ago, jparx said:

The new album is great but clearly a the majority of songs don’t scream “live crowd pleaser” (although arguably people thought that with the first record and it ended up working), so pacing, and how she starts, is key. She has more than enough bangers to sustain a headline show, just has to use them wisely and not have too many long stretches with the more low key stuff. I know it’s not the done thing and she probably won’t do this, but I’d really start with something from the first album, probably bury a friend, to just get the crowd on side from the off.

Reckon the setlist from firefly would go down a treat.

I don’t agree with the misogyny points but I do think the barometer for her is being set absurdly high and there are a few people reading down all of her achievements. They are using her 2019 as a stick to beat her with, completely ruling out her improving or the fact she was literally 16 at the time.

A702A024-378E-4872-B4CF-67995D899A5A.png

7A3FB2B5-DD2E-480C-87D4-B2C8D48BC96A.png

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

It's more the fact that every time Billie comes up, the same concerns of 'oh only children listen to her', 'her crowd will be tiny because none of her stans can get tickets', 'people will get bored because she will probably just be lipsyncing' etc. If we were talking about The Weeknd or another male act, I don't think people would be having the same concerns.

Regarding your other points, I think @Matt42has been spamming another videos of live shows to tell you that her Glasto performance was a bit of a fluke and usually she goes down pretty well. Her last album may not be full of massive hits like her previous, but that doesn't really get held against other acts in the same way. The album still did incredibly well commercially and critically. Most of the general public would recognise tracks like Therefore I Am & the title track. That's without even considering stuff like Everything I Wanted & No Time To Die which were released since she last played.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not convinced she is going to smash it. Stuff like the lack of a live band and the fact that it is just sandwiched in the middle of a tour give me doubts. I'm just bored of the same discourse every time a female popstar is bought up as a headliner. I thought we had all gotten over the 'pop music is for little girls' stereotype

2 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not convinced she is going to smash it. Stuff like the lack of a live band and the fact that it is just sandwiched in the middle of a tour give me doubts. I'm just bored of the same discourse every time a female popstar is bought up as a headliner. I thought we had all gotten over the 'pop music is for little girls' stereotype

I don't think that's necessarily true. The reaction to Taylor's announcement was overwhelmingly positive.

I'd also argue that Stormzy had similar levels of concern raised in advance of his show too, and look how that turned out.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Mattymooz said:

Hahahahahahahahahaha