LAWKS! It’s the Next Announcement Thread 2022!

jparx

3 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

Open minded as ever.

Kendrick is one of the biggest artists in the world, and one of my favourites, but I can acknowledge he also may have had a thinner than average Pyramid crowd. It’s ok to acknowledge that the Glastonbury crowd may be different to that at a US festival, or may be slightly out of whack with what’s hugely popular with teenager, given the age demographic of the festival.

This.

Your sweeping statements about what's going to happen are a bit of an eye roll Matt...

6 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

Open minded as ever.

Kendrick is one of the biggest artists in the world, and one of my favourites, but I can acknowledge he also may have had a thinner than average Pyramid crowd. It’s ok to acknowledge that the Glastonbury crowd may be different to that at a US festival, or may be slightly out of whack with what’s hugely popular with teenager, given the age demographic of the festival.

plus her 2019 set was pretty bad, probably low point of the festival for me. 

Just now, scatteredscreens said:

This.

Your sweeping statements about what's going to happen are a bit of an eye roll Matt...

But I don’t know how I’m being close minded by disagreeing with statements that are just pure conjecture? “Glastonbury having a different demographic so one of the biggest female artists going right now will get a slim crowd” is just pure nonsense. I’m the one that’s pointing to data!

I am going to be pedantic but the Kendrick comparison isn’t quite right. Kendrick is gigantic in the hip hop scene. He is a very popular booking for the festival… and I agree he would get a slimmer crowd. But Billie is not comparable. She’s an artist heavily pushed by all popular media, be that radio, streaming, TV, and dare I say it (tik tok). It’s like me comparing Radiohead’s crowd size to someone like Coldplay. Both genuine headliners but different in terms of the mainstream exposure they get.

6 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

But I don’t know how I’m being close minded by disagreeing with statements that are just pure conjecture? “Glastonbury having a different demographic so one of the biggest female artists going right now will get a slim crowd” is just pure nonsense. I’m the one that’s pointing to data!

I am going to be pedantic but the Kendrick comparison isn’t quite right. Kendrick is gigantic in the hip hop scene. He is a very popular booking for the festival… and I agree he would get a slimmer crowd. But Billie is not comparable. She’s an artist heavily pushed by all popular media, be that radio, streaming, TV, and dare I say it (tik tok). It’s like me comparing Radiohead’s crowd size to someone like Coldplay. Both genuine headliners but different in terms of the mainstream exposure they get.

I'm not saying she'll get a small crowd but what exhausts me is your confidence and obsession with crowd sizes, and how this and that will happen. It's boring.

Only one person has said it wouldn't be a big crowd. I think the rest of us (well, me at least) are saying her going down very well at a different festival (based on a short Tik Tok video) doesn't necessarily mean she will at Glastonbury. 

Her set last time didn't seem to go down well, maybe that will put people off who went out of curiosity last time. 

I'm sure she'll get a big crowd, at least to start with, headliners always do. The question is will it be any good?

Edited by Gnomicide
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

This is conjecture also - “Billie would be more successful because she’s gets more mainstream than Kendrick.”

Dismissing other people’s conjecture about the success of an artist as a headliner, based on your own conjecture, is close minded, and frankly rude (at least in the way that you’ve done it repeatedly in this thread).

Billie’s fan base skews younger than Glastonbury’s average attendance for obvious reasons. I don’t have data for this, as it doesn’t exist, but that’s the way it’s worked for young female Pop stars as long as I can remember. I think if Taylor had of headlined back around the time of her 1989 album, she’d have had similar issues. Her fan base has aged with her, more into Glastonbury’s demo now, so I think she’d get a bigger crowd now than she would have in say 2014, despite the fact her last 4 albums collectively have sold roughly the amount of 1989.

That’s just my opinion though, I don’t hold it up as fact as you seem to about yours re Billie.

3 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

I'm not saying she'll get a small crowd but what exhausts me is your confidence and obsession with crowd sizes, and how this and that will happen. It's boring.

All I said was that she would be fine and linked a show of her playing somewhere recently?

Just now, scatteredscreens said:

And then proceeded to state with certainty of the size of her crowd, and then Kendricks, Radioheads and Coldplays.

I’m struggling to understand why this has stressed you out so much. All I’m doing is arguing my side which I’m allowed to do?

Billie will have a huge crowd - it’s the first pyramid headliner back, I would imagine a lot of regular festival goers (not us nerds) will want to experience that regardless who’s actually playing.

whether she can actually maintain that crowd throughout is a different matter. Her other stage show rapidly emptied out where we were standing - although with the sound issues that’s not all down to her 

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

I’m struggling to understand why this has stressed you out so much. All I’m doing is arguing my side which I’m allowed to do?

Christ, when did I say you're not allowed to argue your point? 😅 Also I'm not stressed out, just pointing out that your posts with such confidence around how many people are stood watching in act are boring and add nothing interesting to the conversation. Happy do discuss this more over PM.

4 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

Christ, when did I say you're not allowed to argue your point? 😅 Also I'm not stressed out, just pointing out that your posts with such confidence around how many people are stood watching in act are boring and add nothing interesting to the conversation. Happy do discuss this more over PM.

I’m not here for personal beef but fair enough. Happy to agree to disagree!

6 minutes ago, mike46 said:

Billie will have a huge crowd - it’s the first pyramid headliner back, I would imagine a lot of regular festival goers (not us nerds) will want to experience that regardless who’s actually playing.

whether she can actually maintain that crowd throughout is a different matter. Her other stage show rapidly emptied out where we were standing - although with the sound issues that’s not all down to her 

Good point actually that this will be the first pyramid headliner after a long time. I imagine the build up and coverage will be pretty heavy. It will also be prime BBC content and Glasto attendees will know it.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

I’m not here for personal beef but fair enough. Happy to agree to disagree!

Good point actually that this will be the first pyramid headliner after a long time. I imagine the build up and coverage will be pretty heavy. It will also be prime BBC content and Glasto attendees will know it.

Again you're misreading, hence the offer to discuss over PM? But whatever. It's no personal beef at all 😅

In regards to a headliner you’ll always get a massive crowd whether it’s curiosity, a genuine love for the act or it’s the best of a bunch.  

With Billie I can’t see her maintaining the crowd she starts with but I could be completely wrong.  I saw some of 2019 and underwhelmed was an understatement but I’m also not stupid enough to know she’ll get a big crowd with lots of plaudits and those that love it

Its a simple as Glasto does not have day passes on the Billie Eilish front. The crowd may be huge out of interest but there are so many options and the ones that do stick it out most likely won't be a super dedicated, knowing all songs and words etc as that video of Firefly Fest showed because more than likely people paid just to see her.  But this will be the case for most bands IMO and only ones that really escape it are the once in a life time bands especially when your decision to go to the festival is made up before seeing any of the line up

5 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Let's say it's Billie Eilish on the Friday then.

Who's she up against on the other stages? My uneducated punt:

Other - Pet Shop Boys

West Holts - Groove Armada

Park - Little Simz

I'd think Simz will be on a bigger stage, she's killing it right now and did the Park last time.

11 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Other - Pet Shop Boys

Park - Little Simz

Queens of the Stone Age headlining Other on Friday came with the Billie Eilish info, though I’m not convinced they’ll actually end up touring next summer given everything going on with Josh Homme’s personal life at the moment. 

18 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Other - Pet Shop Boys

Park - Little Simz

Pyr: Billie Eilish

Other: Queens of the Stone Age / Wolf Alice

West Holts: ??? (Little Simz?)

John Peel: Editors

Park: Manic Street Preachers

33 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Other - Pet Shop Boys

Park - Little Simz

Queens of the Stone Age are TBA for other.

Would like to see Kano on the West Holts that evening.

3 hours ago, gfa said:

Firefly doesn't sell out months before the lineup is the key difference, Glastonbury could announce 3 young acts but nobody who wants to see them would be able to get a ticket. People were probably travelling cross country to see Billie at Firefly

Well Firefly did sell out in advance and they announced the line up not too long before. There were options to see Billie other than Firefly, Governors Ball and Life Is Beautiful.

let’s do this, which of the other fests that Billie is headlining in the u.s compare to being close with Glasto in terms of having older attendees mixed in with the kids

13529373-3779-4EAB-A597-88B648058C50.jpeg

A858E15A-1603-4FD5-96DC-32FCE9337191.png

FDE6F179-15D0-481F-A6F4-3AD5D84DFD91.jpeg

3 hours ago, MaxPower said:

Yeah I think the Rebillet billing is a good one to demonstrate the US/UK divide that’s evident there. Marc is brilliant, and I’m probably going to go and see him in the Academy in Glasgow - but there’s loads of tickets left for that gig, in what isn’t a huge venue. The hype surrounding him in the US v UK is stark, given he’s billed as third down at that festival.

just shows that just because Billie packed out that field with a great atmosphere, doesn’t mean she will at Pyramid stage.

edit: I do note he’s sold out his other UK gigs, but I find it fairly mad he’s third down at a festival.

The Manchester Apollo isn't exactly a small venue.  I've seen LCD/Hotchip double header, Brian Wilson and Lily Allen around album 1 there.   

4 hours ago, MaxPower said:

Yeah I think the Rebillet billing is a good one to demonstrate the US/UK divide that’s evident there. Marc is brilliant, and I’m probably going to go and see him in the Academy in Glasgow - but there’s loads of tickets left for that gig, in what isn’t a huge venue. The hype surrounding him in the US v UK is stark, given he’s billed as third down at that festival.

just shows that just because Billie packed out that field with a great atmosphere, doesn’t mean she will at Pyramid stage.

edit: I do note he’s sold out his other UK gigs, but I find it fairly mad he’s third down at a festival.

You have to understand that having a really good agent gets you those billing placements. And lets add that the lack of talent even available for this time period makes you even more in demand if youre willing to perform anytime and anywhere. So festivals dont have a choice but to cave on poster placement. Its the biggest arguments that happen between promoters and agents cause it means dollars.

3 hours ago, mike46 said:

This is my first ever Glastonbury and i have no desire to see Billie Eilish on the Friday.