LAWKS! It’s the Next Announcement Thread 2022!

jparx

I think the timing of the announcements will be connected to the prevalence of the virus and their confidence levels for the festival going ahead. No sense in announcing bookings until they know its happening, especially if the virus kicks our asses during autumn as many are expecting. 

1 minute ago, Gingerfish79 said:

I think the timing of the announcements will be connected to the prevalence of the virus and their confidence levels for the festival going ahead. No sense in announcing bookings until they know its happening, especially if the virus kicks our asses during autumn as many are expecting. 

it didn't matter the last time when they announced a week or so before the plug was pulled ... so not sure this matters so much in terms of announcements anyway ? 

20 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

😩 What might have been.

Does anyone know what happened? (Or where on earth they were supposed to be billed)

I've got in in my head they were going to play The Other but I don't know where that came from and I can't find anything on it. Also no idea why it didn't happen.

This is the eFests article:

Undertones & Outkast for Glastonbury 2005 - DEFINITELY! - eFestivals.co.uk

1 minute ago, Gnomicide said:

I've got in in my head they were going to play The Other but I don't know where that came from and I can't find anything on it. Also no idea why it didn't happen.

This is the eFests article:

Undertones & Outkast for Glastonbury 2005 - DEFINITELY! - eFestivals.co.uk

File under "Glasto mysteries" next to D'Angelo

I think we are set for a 2013 style roll-out, with nothing till about March time and then a full poster drop.

The festival will have a clear idea of whether it’s going ahead around March time I think. Winter will be past us and things will start to be more settled once the warm weather comes in. Booster jabs and all.

I can’t see them announcing months out when there is still a ? on the COVID situation.

Saying that - I think by March it will be so obvious who is playing but the festival will still keep it close to their chest. This isn’t a normal year and the festival doesn’t have to announce early to sell tickets. They don’t want to hype the event up until it’s definitely going ahead either. Plus, some artists may need some more time (more than usual) before signing the dotted line.

Edited by Matt42
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Saying that - I think by March it will be so obvious who is playing but the festival will still keep it close to their chest. This isn’t a normal year and the festival doesn’t have to announce early to sell tickets. They don’t want to hype the event up until it’s definitely going ahead either. Plus, some artists may need some more time (more than usual) before signing the dotted line.

I think I quite fancy the idea of this, makes for loads of speculation before the announcements and then seeing how right or wrong the eFests hive mind has been with its guesses.

Dare I say it, whacking out announcements early isn't as much fun.

12 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I think we are set for a 2013 style roll-out, with nothing till about March time and then a full poster drop.

The festival will have a clear idea of whether it’s going ahead around March time I think. Winter will be past us and things will start to be more settled once the warm weather comes in. Booster jabs and all.

I can’t see them announcing months out when there is still a ? on the COVID situation.

The festival have never had to announce to sell tickets. They’ve never announced a headliner before T-Day, certainly not since they moved to October sales.

As long as the Covid situation is under control, there are still gigs going ahead this year and big ones being announced for next summer I can see a couple of names we already know being confirmed this side of Christmas. Mostly likely Billie headlining and confirmation that Diana Ross is back as Legend.

Gonna go December 9th as an announcement date, mainly because it’s my 40th birthday and spending it on here balls deep in Glasto talk seems as good a way to spend it as any.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

It is for those of us who don’t have a massive compendium of announcement dates to maintain.

A fair point. Especially since I changes jobs back in November 2019 and I can't access the Thingy via my new work's lap top.

I have to fire up an old one that belonged to one of my kids to make updates. The Weebly phone app is almost unusable.

5 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

A fair point. Especially since I changes jobs back in November 2019 and I can't access the Thingy via my new work's lap top.

I have to fire up an old one that belonged to one of my kids to make updates. The Weebly phone app is almost unusable.

The Thingy be a demanding mistress.

18 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

The festival have never had to announce to sell tickets. They’ve never announced a headliner before T-Day, certainly not since they moved to October sales.

As long as the Covid situation is under control, there are still gigs going ahead this year and big ones being announced for next summer I can see a couple of names we already know being confirmed this side of Christmas. Mostly likely Billie headlining and confirmation that Diana Ross is back as Legend.

Gonna go December 9th as an announcement date, mainly because it’s my 40th birthday and spending it on here balls deep in Glasto talk seems as good a way to spend it as any.

But this is a different year - and I don’t think they are going to announce things seriously early when there is plenty time for things to change.

See R&L announcing a bunch of American acts for their 2021 festival and virtually all of them pulling out by the lead up to the festival. Things are very uncertain right now and it wouldn’t surprise me if many American acts are reluctant to sign. 

I don’t think we’ll get a sniff until way into 2022.

7 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

it didn't matter the last time when they announced a week or so before the plug was pulled ... so not sure this matters so much in terms of announcements anyway ? 

That was 2020. They made announcements before covid was a thing we knew about. It wasn't clear they couldn't go ahead until about the time the lineup was ready to be released so they released it anyway in a hope for the best situation. 

I agree with others in that I think winter won't be great and they won't want to make an announcement if the country has restrictions or there's doubt about it going ahead. So nothing until Feb 2020. 

16 minutes ago, jparx said:

Feels like we’re rolling now. Great to see Michael talking about next year and alluding to lineup stuff. I reckon we get something big before Christmas, at least one headliner I reckon

You’d think as soon as Billie sells out that last O2 date she’s good to be announced (still a few seats left I notice).

My money would be on her being confirmed this side of Christmas.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

You’d think as soon as Billie sells out that last O2 date she’s good to be announced (still a few seats left I notice).

My money would be on her being confirmed this side of Christmas.

IF they do have two returning headliners and Billie, I’d definitely announce Billie first. It would probably generate the most buzz as a first announcement (Not that they really need any buzz mind)