LAWKS! It’s the Next Announcement Thread 2022!

jparx

3 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

What the hell is Lawks ? Something I’ve wondered for a while … and I’m clearly missing somehow 

lawks
/lɔːks/

exclamation
DATED
  1. (especially among cockneys) expressing surprise, awe, or consternation.

What the hell is Lawks ? Something I’ve wondered for a while … and I’m clearly missing somehow 

It’s a cockney expression for surprise or dismay according to dictionary but might be an acronym for Lord Above something 

1 minute ago, jparx said:
lawks
/lɔːks/

exclamation
DATED
  1. (especially among cockneys) expressing surprise, awe, or consternation.

Is it used in a tv show or something ? Or just because it’s an expression of surprise … I thought there was something beyond its standard meaning … or it might be because my mind is full of Glastonbury stuff and it’s reading things into reading things at the moment 🙂 

Is it used in a tv show or something ? Or just because it’s an expression of surprise … I thought there was something beyond its standard meaning … or it might be because my mind is full of Glastonbury stuff and it’s reading things into reading things at the moment 🙂 

I used to see it a lot in 70s comics with the big bold lettering above something happening. Outside of that I've never even heard it in person outside of this thread! 

On a forum I used to frequent it was used quite a bit for comic effect, always made me smile.

When I started the announcement thread one year I stuck it in and now insist on its use.

Comes in very handy in the early months of the thread when it frequently drops down the pages. If you need to find it again, a quick search on Lawks leads you right to it.

LAWKS! It's a lawks explanation!

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

On a forum I used to frequent it was used quite a bit for comic effect, always made me smile.

When I started the announcement thread one year I stuck it in and now insist on its use.

Comes in very handy in the early months of the thread when it frequently drops down the pages. If you need to find it again, a quick search on Lawks leads you right to it.

LAWKS! It's a lawks explanation!

I only know it from Viz 

• 5 weeks later...

Bumping out of hope rather than expectation.

Lorde announcing dates soon, Taylor hinting at a tour, Kendrick, Ross and Macca in the picture. Odds of something dropping this week? Not sure how restricted they are with what and when they can announce, but I really think it's time to look forward to 2022 and any announcement this week would send hype levels through the roof. 

Just now, jparx said:

Lorde announcing dates soon, Taylor hinting at a tour, Kendrick, Ross and Macca in the picture. Odds of something dropping this week? Not sure how restricted they are with what and when they can announce, but I really think it's time to look forward to 2022 and any announcement this week would send hype levels through the roof. 

And a Pilton party one due at some point ? 

16 minutes ago, jparx said:

I wouldn't have thought there would be any additional restrictions, lots of 2022 festival line-ups already put there. Maybe, just maybe they'll announce something early this year. 

7 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

If it is Elton, I doubt they'd announce him until a sizeable number of tickets are sold for his stadium shows.

He needs to shift a lot of Anfield tickets.

DoRo holds the record for earliest ever announcement so maybe. 

It wouldnt matter if he was on glasto or not cause its very sold out anyway. If they didnt have enough tickets to justify a resale this whole time, when is that happening at all til the 2023 sale next year.

4 hours ago, Suprefan said:

It wouldnt matter if he was on glasto or not cause its very sold out anyway. If they didnt have enough tickets to justify a resale this whole time, when is that happening at all til the 2023 sale next year.

It's not about Glastonbury selling tickets, it's the other venues. If your thinking about going to see him and he announces Glastonbury, your probably not going to bother going to his own show.

• 2 months later...
4 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Ao when do we think theres going to be something ? talks in the headliners thread seem to be swaying towards after Christmas ... seems like such a long gap between now and then 😞 

Yeah I’d say nothing until next year - best we can hope for in my opinion is some more acts making it blindly obvious with their tour dates. For example, if Taylor announces a tour or Macca announces that Netherlands / Belgium date he’s rumoured for.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Yeah I’d say nothing until next year - best we can hope for in my opinion is some more acts making it blindly obvious with their tour dates. For example, if Taylor announces a tour or Macca announces that Netherlands / Belgium date he’s rumoured for.

Just seems like such a long time with likely no october sale for Glastonbury to be out of the news ..... once the abbey extravaganza is over and done with ..... its going to be such a big gap .... these announcements in a normal year are quite well spread out ........ Im crossing fingers for something sooner .... maybe just being blindly optimistic though 

I think without a sale announcement there might just be something in its place. Abbey extravaganza is next weekend and you know there will be a lot of asking and prying cause people will be there for a proper gig. And we kind of assumed after Equinox there couldve been something, so why not just drop a name and go from there. 

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Ao when do we think theres going to be something ? talks in the headliners thread seem to be swaying towards after Christmas ... seems like such a long gap between now and then 😞 

There's not really a need to make an announcement yet, is there? It's sold out, they still have Worthy Pastures bookings and the Abbey gig to focus on, then I'll guess they'll want to take a break for a bit. I wouldn't be surprised if the teatime slot is announced before the end of the year though

4 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

There's not really a need to make an announcement yet, is there? It's sold out, they still have Worthy Pastures bookings and the Abbey gig to focus on, then I'll guess they'll want to take a break for a bit. I wouldn't be surprised if the teatime slot is announced before the end of the year though

maybe not yet but hopefully we will return to some kind of normal scheduling .... off to check the Glasto thingy for announcement news .... but it seems like its rare in my head to get nothing at all before Christmas in terms of official stuff .... I just think the Gap is too big and its good to keep Glastonbury in the news and being talked about from a marketing point of view ... although obviously this is sold out 

26 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

.... but it seems like its rare in my head to get nothing at all before Christmas in terms of official stuff ...

*clears throat*

Official announcements made before Christmas (each one for the following year's festival. Obvs):

10 October 2019: Diana Ross
20 October 2016: Radiohead
24 October 2002: Michael Eavis announces REM to headline on Radio 1
1 November 2004: Michael Eavis announces The Undertones & Outkast will play in Bristol Evening Post
15 November 2018: Stormzy 
18 November 2019: Paul McCartney
23 November 2009: U2
30 November 2014: Lionel Richie
15 December 2019: Taylor Swift 
19 December 2013: Arcade Fire
19 December 2018: Kylie

Edited by Gnomicide
  • Like 2