LAWKS! It’s the Next Announcement Thread 2022!

jparx

That’s right...

image.thumb.png.b425d75cb863e59d62d7793b335ae594.png

What are people’s thoughts? No news until it becomes 99% certain we’re on? Something dropped over the festival weekend this year? Nothing until 2022?

My guess is we’ll be back on the usual schedule and we’ll have a first announcement around the Autumn. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jparx said:

My guess is we’ll be back on the usual schedule and we’ll have a first announcement around the Autumn. 

I think all options are open at the mo.

I reckon that if larger festivals start happening normally during the summer we might get an early announcement - perhaps one headliner - as a statement of intent for next year.

If big festivals don't happen normally this summer then I reckon they'll be cautious about announcements. What happens with gigs would instead have to be used to get an idea for going forwards.

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I reckon that if larger festivals start happening normally during the summer we might get an early announcement - perhaps one headliner - as a statement of intent for next year.

If big festivals don't happen normally this summer then I reckon they'll be cautious about announcements. What happens with gigs would instead have to be used to get an idea for going forwards.

All being well the landscape will be a lot clearer come June especially in regards to being able to look forward and plan.

Therefore I'm going to say that we'll get a headliner announcement on or very close to what would have been Glastonbury weekend this year.

Perhaps if they are able to go along with some kind of streamed event / evening over that weekend (think I saw this mentioned in an Emily interview recently?) then Michael could announce a headliner at that point... 

34 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

That’s a good shout!

Edited by jparx

Definitely don’t think we’ll get anything before this years’ festival would have been over and probably not until it looks much more likely that mass events can happen next year. 

Who knows when that might be? I’m going to tentatively go with October 26th at 8am. 

Edited by kalifire

21 hours ago, JoeyT said:

All being well the landscape will be a lot clearer come June especially in regards to being able to look forward and plan.

Therefore I'm going to say that we'll get a headliner announcement on or very close to what would have been Glastonbury weekend this year.

Perhaps if they are able to go along with some kind of streamed event / evening over that weekend (think I saw this mentioned in an Emily interview recently?) then Michael could announce a headliner at that point... 

I see no reason why BBC wouldnt do another broadcast and some performances to go with it. The good thing is that there can be a whole other slate of footage that can be shown all weekend because we saw how last year was mainly 2019 apart from some gems because it was much more accessible at the time. And yeah, why not have Michael and Emily make an announcement. You just start the momentum building a year out and give hope. And no way they dont create another round of merchandise to mark the occasion too.

Nah I think we won’t hear anything until winter 2021 at the earliest + when we have a good sign that we are out of the woods.

Glastonbury last year announced virtually nothing right up until they cancelled. Other festivals announced their lineups in windows of confidence but Glasto kept quiet. I think they will have a similar strategy again and play cards close to their chest.

• Downvote 1

26 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Nah I think we won’t hear anything until winter 2021 at the earliest + when we have a good sign that we are out of the woods.

Glastonbury last year announced virtually nothing right up until they cancelled. Other festivals announced their lineups in windows of confidence but Glasto kept quiet. I think they will have a similar strategy again and play cards close to their chest.

Would agree with this. Even if the vaccine rollout goes to plan over the next 6-8 months I think they'll want to see how things are looking as we come into another flu season, provided we're at minimum restrictions by then with no scary variants on the horizon I wouldn't be surprised at an early first poster drop in the new year.

57 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

They made 5 announcements, which is actually more than normal.

But I agree there won't be anything on next year until they know for sure (or at least as sure as you can be). It was telling that they said nothing this year other than no October sale and then the cancellation. 

• Like 1

I think Neil’s point about other festivals going ahead potentially prompting a Glastonbury announcement is a good one. That’s obviously a big IF though, so I do tend to think the safe money is on no news until late 2021 or in to 2022.

Edited by jparx

2 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

They made 5 announcements, which is actually more than normal.

But I agree there won't be anything on next year until they know for sure (or at least as sure as you can be). It was telling that they said nothing this year other than no October sale and then the cancellation. 

I mean for the festival meant for this year 

Edited by Matt42

4 hours ago, jparx said:

I think Neil’s point about other festivals going ahead potentially prompting a Glastonbury announcement is a good one. That’s obviously a big IF though, so I do tend to think the safe money is on no news until late 2021 or in to 2022.

Yup, there is no point until it is known of later festivals.

• 3 months later...