Hurt/Heal 2021 - Ultimate Headliners Edition!

Hugh Jass

It's all gone to pot. I think the last correct post was @Ddiamondd's on the previous page and I think I've adjusted everything according to what has been posted since, @Hugh Jass please check my maths.

The Cure - 115

Radiohead - 183

The Rolling Stones - 180

Stevie Wonder - 220 

Blur - 180 

R.E.M. - 200

David Bowie - 285

Pulp - 25 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Bryanrebe said:

The amount of flack the Eavis' took for booking Jay Z was fucking stupid. It also needed to happen to pave the way for the likes of Stormzr and Kendrick, who still got hate don't get wrong, but didn't have to bare the fierce vitriol Jay Z and Beyonce did.

I blame Piers Morgan. Such a nonce.

In fairness at the time Jay Z’s highest charting album in the uk was a number 30 with a couple of top 10 singles..

The following year he had a number 4 album and a number 1 single, which demonstrates that Glastonbury has the power to be a taste maker, the ability to give people a leg up.

The Cure - 125 

Radiohead - 173 

The Rolling Stones - 180

Stevie Wonder - 215

Blur - 165 (-10)

R.E.M. - 190 

David Bowie - 285

Pulp - 15 

14 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

While that's certainly all true, don't forget he was at #1 for literally the entire previous summer with Rihanna on Umbrella, and had been on Crazy In Love and Deja Vu and Heartbreaker and all these other mega-smashes. Plus there was the launching of Kanye, the celeb pages, , the greatest rapper alive at that point, yadda yadda.

Even though Jay was a big risk, it felt like Kings of Leon were the more unlikely headliner from a status perspective. They seemed to be getting a genuine leg-up with that slot, at a time when not even Reading or V would take the punt.

As you say, funny (and telling) how both Jay and KoL became significantly bigger deals in the UK after their Pyramid sets. 12 months of non-stop stonks 📈

This is why I find the constant "are x big enough to headline?" debates on here a bit silly. Being big enough to headline is essentially a question of prestige and there are fewer bigger boosts to prestige than being announced as a Glastonbury headliner.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

Checking the scores from further up, it looks like Pulp have seven more points than they should have so should now be on just one.

Will fix it with my turn...

Are you sure. I think they should be on way more points than they are currently.  eddie_corrigan wrote -5 but took 7 points off and then when Losing My Hair went to fix it they ended up on even less points

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I can't bring myself to finish Jarvis off, the guy bought be a pint once...

The Cure - 135

Radiohead - 170

The Rolling Stones - 180

Stevie Wonder - 205

Blur - 175 (+10)

R.E.M. - 190 

David Bowie - 285

Pulp - 1

Just rechecked it all and I think Pulp should be on 13

2 minutes ago, found home in 2009 said:

Are you sure. I think they should be on way more points than they are currently.  eddie_corrigan wrote -5 but took 7 points off and then when Losing My Hair went to fix it they ended up on even less points

Bit further back they jumped from 75 to 82 despite points being taken off them.

Kinda moot given they’ll be gone in a minute anyway.