Hurt/Heal 2021 - Ultimate Headliners Edition!

Hugh Jass

21 minutes ago, waltere said:

I've seen that before actually and it's one of those annoying tunes that sticks in your head... bit embarrassing when you're walking round tesco doing a big shop singing 'ah put it in my butt, ah put it in my butt etc. etc.'

1 hour ago, Homer said:

I actually quite liked his first album (it's possible I'm in the wrong thread).

Yeah, it's good. I'd probably gone to watch him if it didn't clash.

I last saw him at Bearded Theory in 2018 when he was sub headliner to Jimmy Cliff. It was a decent set.

I think there is a fair argument for booking certain artists to headline The Other Stage whilst at their most popular, and riding the crest of the wave. Otherwise you’d have the same establish artists booked every couple of years for the slot, who aren’t big enough for the big gig on the Pyramid. 

Obviously this will leave some acts like Jake Bugg that will raise some eyebrows looking back years later, but at the time I think it was a booking that made enough sense, and added some ‘variety’ to the slot. 

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Edit: he was never "headlining the Other Stage, subbed by Pixies" popular though

True, but if they'd put the Other Stage in the correct order that day, I'd not have been able to catch all of Pixies, then nip straight over to the Pyramid just in time for the start of Metallica. Being able to achieve that run of Manics > Pixies > Metallica more than makes up for any strange placement decisions.

5 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Edit: he was never "headlining the Other Stage, subbed by Pixies" popular though

Wasn't the theory that it was supposed to be Metallica, Pixies, JB (and Prince on the main stage). When the Purple One pulled out, Metallica were shifted across and the JB jumped up and filled the gap as Pixies couldn't headline as they had to leave immediately after their set to be elsewhere?

3 minutes ago, Fishman said:

Wasn't the theory that it was supposed to be Metallica, Pixies, JB (and Prince on the main stage). When the Purple One pulled out, Metallica were shifted across and the JB jumped up and filled the gap as Pixies couldn't headline as they had to leave immediately after their set to be elsewhere?

I always thought Pixies subbed because the festival didn’t want too similar acts clashing on the two biggest stages.

7 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I always thought Pixies subbed because the festival didn’t want too similar acts clashing on the two biggest stages.

Yeah - maybe, but aren't there loads of examples of bemusing 'two similar acts clashing'?