Hurt/Heal 2021 - Ultimate Headliners Edition!

Hugh Jass

Just now, Losing my hair said:

Saw the 2017 set, after being in the tent for Frank Carter, and thoroughly enjoyed it (though not as much as some of those around me); they are still the weakest of those remaining though.

Frank Carter was great eh? Not something I would otherwise have seen, was there early for Killers, but thoroughly enjoyed it.

21 minutes ago, Mellotr0n said:

I would say that - even with the slowly lowering quality of albums since a stunning debut - Arcade Fire are still more relevant and vibrant than say, The Rolling Stones or R.E.M., both of whom have done nothing of note for decades now...

I'm going to go out on a limb and say (and this is coming from a guy who loves AF) that Arcade Fire have never been, nor ever will be, more relevant than The Rolling Stones.

8 minutes ago, Losing my hair said:

Saw the 2017 set, after being in the tent for Frank Carter, and thoroughly enjoyed it (though not as much as some of those around me); they are still the weakest of those remaining though.

I enjoyed the Killers' 2019 headline set more than several of the more illustrious names remaining on that list.

26 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

At their peaks both the Stones and REM were releasing classic after classic albums, songs that still get regular airplay now and will always be held in high regard. I know the music landscape has changed a lot since then and bands have a harder time at accomplishing those same highs, but Arcade Fire aren’t close to those two acts  in terms of relevancy in the long haul, and I loved their Glastonbury set. 

REM are a bit whatever to me. I’m born in the 90s so I wouldnt have been so aware of them when they were at the height of their powers and I just see them as overplayed, melancholic 90s montage music tbh.

Feels like those who hold them in high esteem tend to be those who have grown up with them and I’d say Arcade Fire fill a similar niche for we 90s kids, one of those bands you hear in your teens that opens up a world of possibility in music and you carry them with you for the rest of your days. 

This contest is never gonna be won or lost on the relevance or quality of artists, but rather the biases of a sample of festival forum geeks. I wouldnt worry about it!*

*also it can be won or lost on how polarising an act is. The killers for instance are probably simply too bland for people to care about enough to downvote. But i guess this effect will diminish towards the end.

Tl;dr Bowies gonna win

Edited by mattiloy

26 minutes ago, Losing my hair said:

You've overlooked the fact that The Killers are still in there - mid table Championship at best.

Nah - The Killers are fully deserving of their place.  Have you ever watched the entire 2019 headline set?  Watched it again few weeks ago and it reminded me of just how good it was - they completely nailed what a Saturday night Pyramid set should be all about.  I would also argue that along with The Cure, 2019 was the best year for headliners - it would easily be the year I would go back to if I had a time machine.

Bowie is obviously going to win this, and if the general consensus of that night in 2000 is to be believed, then rightly so. Unfortunately I wasn't there that year but my voting has been based on who I had seen and how much I enjoyed it. That Blur night in 2009 was magical so they get my points. The Stones in 2013 was fun (the atmosphere an hour before they came on stage was electric) but I was too far back (behind the tree) to really fully enjoy the experience so I can't vote them either way.

The only three sets left that I was actually there witnessing are Arcade Fire, The Rolling Stones and Radiohead. I had the most fun at Arcade Fire, it's probably the weakest of those sets if I take my personal mood at the time out of it but I'll keep upvoting them until they are gone.

The Killers – 146

The Cure – 154 

Radiohead - 160

Arcade Fire - 110

The Rolling Stones - 175 

Beyoncé - 140 (-10)

Stevie Wonder - 176

Blur - 210 

R.E.M. - 175 

David Bowie - 265 

Pulp - 107

6 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Bowie is obviously going to win this, and if the general consensus of that night in 2000 is to be believed, then rightly so. Unfortunately I wasn't there that year but my voting has been based on who I had seen and how much I enjoyed it. That Blur night in 2009 was magical so they get my points. The Stones in 2013 was fun (the atmosphere an hour before they came on stage was electric) but I was too far back (behind the tree) to really fully enjoy the experience so I can't vote them either way.

I was down the front for the first few songs of the Stones and hated it. Too packed, too many dickheads (one girl spent the first couple of songs on her boyfriend's shoulders blocking everyone's view) and impossible to get into it due to the constant scrum of the crowd.

Retreated after Paint It Black and watched the rest from outside Le Grande Boeuffe and had a much better time.

Blur remains the GOAT for me though.

Edited by Hugh Jass

27 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I enjoyed the Killers' 2019 headline set more than several of the more illustrious names remaining on that list.

Let's say The Killers as an act are a bit odd in comparison with the rest of the list. Okayish band, some fun songs, only the first album is somehow considered essential. 

The Killers – 141 

The Cure - 139

Radiohead - 170

Arcade Fire - 120

The Rolling Stones - 175 

Beyoncé - 140 

Stevie Wonder - 186 (+10)

Blur - 210 

R.E.M. - 185 

David Bowie - 255 

Pulp - 107