Stage Predictions 2022: For real this time

dentalplan

11 hours ago, Ddiamondd said:

Thing is, Bonobo does a certain kind of vaguely trippy electronica thing very well and will fill pack city venues full of people from age 18-50 in the mood to get stoned and hear balmy melodies. No shame in the game.

Don’t think that means he’s above a smaller stage at a festival though, given the choice on offer. Phoebe Bridgers we have down for The Park, and she’s headlining whole fests in the States currently.

Bicep have the momentum and the sales/acclaim to take the dance-y WH slot, so I don’t see Bonobo being one of the other 3 if we have Isleys, Simz, Micky K and others as more obvious contenders.

Bonobo and Caribou would make for a very complimentary headline and sub pairing on Saturday or Sunday up t’Park. Slap ‘em on the prediction I say.

Would be all over this. 

On 10/6/2021 at 9:28 PM, Matt42 said:

I mean this 100%. I’ve never met someone who is a fan of his. Everyone I know has never heard of him. I don’t think I know any songs of his.

I went to see the courteeners in Leicester with a friend who likes them - gerry was supporting and the crowd were going mental.

On 10/6/2021 at 9:18 PM, Mattymooz said:

Only ever heard Glaswegians say they like Gerry Cinnamon tbf...

Saw him at Reading and loved him, won tickets to his ally pally show and loved that too. He's incredibly charismatic, would definitely say I am a fan and so are the 10,000 others there. He is definitely bigger up North but the divide isn't on the scale of Courteeners in my opinion. He's already outselling them down here show wise and has been for a while. I think i saw him at Community in 2018 and it was rammed at 3pm for him

2 hours ago, gfa said:

Saw him at Reading and loved him, won tickets to his ally pally show and loved that too. He's incredibly charismatic, would definitely say I am a fan and so are the 10,000 others there. He is definitely bigger up North but the divide isn't on the scale of Courteeners in my opinion. He's already outselling them down here show wise and has been for a while. I think i saw him at Community in 2018 and it was rammed at 3pm for him

It's just a shame for the southerners than they got a better set up north.

Any addition to Aerosmith's run could be the canary in the coalmine for this Saturday/Sunday conundrum.

As it happens, they're at the O2 on Wednesday 22nd and in Manchester on Tuesday 28th. So it really could be any of the three days.

Gut check says dad rock has moved to Sunday, but Aerosmith stay on Saturday. Double legend slot in effect.

27 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Any addition to Aerosmith's run could be the canary in the coalmine for this Saturday/Sunday conundrum.

As it happens, they're at the O2 on Wednesday 22nd and in Manchester on Tuesday 28th. So it really could be any of the three days.

Gut check says dad rock has moved to Sunday, but Aerosmith stay on Saturday. Double legend slot in effect.

Yeah, feel the same. Not sure about the Kendrick sub but maybe like this…

Sat: Aerosmith - Elbow - Royal Blood - Kendrick

Sun: Crowded House - Diana Ross - Haim - Noel - Macca

Edited by Pastor.Of.Muppets

24 minutes ago, Pastor.Of.Muppets said:

Sat: Aerosmith - Elbow - Royal Blood - Kendrick

Sun: Crowded House - Diana Ross - Haim - Noel - Macca

That looks about right doesn't it. I'd swap Haim and Elbow and maybe there'll be someone else between Crowded House and Diana Ross (Michael Kiwanuka? Lil Nas X?), but then we're there.

38 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Dua with a gig on the Thursday of Glasto weekend is big big big news.

I reckon that as good as locks up our Other headliners — unless she’s subbing Macca/Kendrick, in which case: Tyler, come on.

I think Tyler will be at Lovebox or Parklife again.

Dua is pretty much a lock and has been for a while. They’ve done very well getting her back despite her current rise to global superstardom. 

2 hours ago, Ddiamondd said:

3rd from top Friday, or yeah, what Mr Jass said.

I feel like my excitement for the lineup has grown again - mainly because now it feels like we are going to get a lineup that will look fresh (staging wise) and probably take into account that many artists have grown since they were booked in 2020.

11 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Dua is pretty much a lock and has been for a while. They’ve done very well getting her back despite her current rise to global superstardom.

Agreed with the second part, but I don’t think she’s been a lock for ages. She’s touring next year and has developed nice ties with the fest, yes, but we’ve had nothing concrete to go off that she was going to be back.

In darkest winter, before the fresh light of rebirth (Neil’s Billie info), debates raged over whether she could / would step up to take Taylor’s slot. Even with our recent Other predictions it’s been QOTSA, PSB and… Dua?

Either way it’s all good. Let the agonising over Kendrick/Macca vs Dua begin now.

6 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

Dua has the best team in the business - she's not really established herself as a live or touring force yet so accepting Other headliner on an off cycle year, and then Pyramid headliner in a couple of years time after her next album, is a really nice move.

I think it’s more that she/her team just wants to play and is giving Glastonbury special treatment. 

51 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I think Tyler will be at Lovebox or Parklife again.

I feel like my excitement for the lineup has grown again - mainly because now it feels like we are going to get a lineup that will look fresh (staging wise) and probably take into account that many artists have grown since they were booked in 2020.

Who do you think is bigger out of Billie and Dua?

I genuinely haven’t a clue, but would have presumed they were fairly level?! 

6 minutes ago, nikkic said:

By online metrics and my own vibes, I think it’s pretty tight globally, but Billie bigger in the US and Dua bigger in the UK.

Future Nostalgia, although massive everywhere, didn’t make as big of an impact in the US as Billie’s first album.

Future Nostalgia was no1 in the UK for 4 weeks, Billie’s album jsut 1 week so far (I think). 

Billie has more Instagram followers, Dua has more monthly Spotify listeners, both have or feature on multiple Spotify tracks with over 1 billion listens.

Dua just doesn't have the live experience or touring reputation Billie does, which is the biggest differential at the moment (and something her team seems to be aware of given the amount of festivals she's doing next year). Her endlessly-delayed arena tour still has nosebleeds left last time I looked, and that's after being on sale since the start of the pandemic and having one of the biggest pop girl album campaigns in living memory.

She'll get a huge crowd, but I think it's super sensible to have not done the quick jump to Pyramid headliner just yet. It'll be a real megastar moment when she does it.

1 hour ago, nikkic said:

Touring force - Billie

Radio force - Dua

Streaming force - Dua marginally. 

It’s quite difficult but I don’t think Dua has taken the direction of marketing herself as a soon to be stadium act… which Billie definitely has. Billie has a little bit of the Taylor Swift effect in that even though they might not be the easiest chart toppers their fans buy tickets to their shows and pay for VIP packages. I can’t quite explain why it’s this way but I will probably say that Taylor/Billie have loyal fan bases whereas Dua is still “for everyone”. Her fan base is just the general public.

Edited by Matt42