Stage Predictions 2022: For real this time

dentalplan

36 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

Bonobo seems like another option for a West Holts or John Peel headliner - can't remember where he played last time 

Pretty sure he subbed WH last time he played, albeit on the album previous to his last if I remember correctly. I recall an interview where he mentions how he left a gap in his schedule for Glastonbury on the North Borders (is that right?) tour but was never asked to play.

I had him as a shoe-in to headline WH that year, but not sure where to place him now. Very similar to Caribou in that regard; headline or sub WH/Park, JP at a push.

11 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Is there an equivalent anywhere else? A band that is randomly massive in one country.

Sophie Ellis-Bextor in Russia is the best example I know aside from Editors

Garth Brooks in Ireland (he's big in USA too though)

Jessie J in China... probably, seeing as she won a singing contest despite her obvious lack of singing talent

Depeche Mode are huge in central and eastern Europe

There was a point where Kings of Leon were big here but unknown in USA. Probably a few like that actually but we'll never know.

Belgium seems to actually hold a few more British acts in higher esteem than we do; Placebo as CalGon referred to earlier being one, Bastille and The xx being others.

Edited by dentalplan

17 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

He subbed WH in 2014. Tbh I’d be more inclined to say he’s a Park headliner these days, although maybe I’m underselling him. One of those acts who’s popularity always surprises me when he reappears every album cycle.

He's just announced three nights at the Royal Albert Hall so I reckon he's still above Park headline 

4 hours ago, the wonderwhy said:

They're playing (and have nearly sold out) Manchester arena which is literally the second biggest indoor arena in Europe... 

3 hours ago, Somto Unigwe Raphael said:

Yes but they do much bigger shows in mainland Europe. Can’t you read?

I feel what I’m trying to say is being lost here.

Tool hasn’t invested much in the UK market.

They have fans here

Due to the sheer rarity of their booking and the fact this always leads to demand they have sold out their dates in the UK this time.

The last time they properly toured the UK was in like 2007 - but they’ve been playing in the US and other markets pretty much every other year since then. They’ve skipped UK many times or at most only played Download festival.

Yes they have fans here but they aren’t a common appearance at UK venues / festivals. Which leads me to say that this obviously isn’t a priority music market for them.

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

They have fans here

Due to the sheer rarity of their booking and the fact this always leads to demand they have sold out their dates in the UK this time.

The last time they properly toured the UK was in like 2007 - but they’ve been playing in the US and other markets pretty much every other year since then. They’ve skipped UK many times or at most only played Download festival.

Yes they have fans here but they aren’t a common appearance at UK venues / festivals. Which leads me to say that this obviously isn’t a priority music market for them.

Aight but they don’t do much bigger shows in mainland Europe 🤣🤣🤣

26 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

They have fans here

This isn't really true though. They have played the UK whenever they've played Europe. Whatever goes for UK goes for mainland Europe.

They do US tours more often, but they are also US based and it's easier for them to do a quick tour for a bit of money.

11 hours ago, Ddiamondd said:

Thing is, Bonobo does a certain kind of vaguely trippy electronica thing very well and will fill pack city venues full of people from age 18-50 in the mood to get stoned and hear balmy melodies. No shame in the game.

Don’t think that means he’s above a smaller stage at a festival though, given the choice on offer. Phoebe Bridgers we have down for The Park, and she’s headlining whole fests in the States currently.

Bicep have the momentum and the sales/acclaim to take the dance-y WH slot, so I don’t see Bonobo being one of the other 3 if we have Isleys, Simz, Micky K and others as more obvious contenders.

Bonobo and Caribou would make for a very complimentary headline and sub pairing on Saturday or Sunday up t’Park. Slap ‘em on the prediction I say.

Would be all over this. 

On 10/6/2021 at 9:28 PM, Matt42 said:

I mean this 100%. I’ve never met someone who is a fan of his. Everyone I know has never heard of him. I don’t think I know any songs of his.

I went to see the courteeners in Leicester with a friend who likes them - gerry was supporting and the crowd were going mental.

On 10/6/2021 at 9:18 PM, Mattymooz said:

Only ever heard Glaswegians say they like Gerry Cinnamon tbf...

Saw him at Reading and loved him, won tickets to his ally pally show and loved that too. He's incredibly charismatic, would definitely say I am a fan and so are the 10,000 others there. He is definitely bigger up North but the divide isn't on the scale of Courteeners in my opinion. He's already outselling them down here show wise and has been for a while. I think i saw him at Community in 2018 and it was rammed at 3pm for him