Stage Predictions 2022: For real this time

dentalplan

52 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Macca’s actually done things of interest in the last 10 years.

Difficult to know where to start with this

44 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

You don’t help yourself, do you 😋

Exactly this

1 hour ago, clarkete said:

Poster from the 2nd year I went.

If someone said that the acts who played had a "best before" date then they'd never fill all these blooming stages.

1986Poster.jpg

I’d rather the majority of the bands in that lineup play this year than Elbow - Madness, The Cure or The Pogues would each be great acts to see as they have fans young and old, even if peoplE just remember their obvious hits.

Elbow have no cross generational appeal, they’re just dull Radio 6 music for 40+ pseuds. 

Macca is playing because he’s a living legend. Doja Cat was playing because she’s a huge contemporary pop and r&b star. It baffles me why Elbow seem to be so high up on the bill? 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, kugglaw said:

I’d rather the majority of the bands in that lineup play this year than Elbow - Madness, The Cure or The Pogues would each be great acts to see as they have fans young and old, even if peoplE just remember their obvious hits.

Elbow have no cross generational appeal, they’re just dull Radio 6 music for 40+ pseuds. 

Macca is playing because he’s a living legend. Doja Cat was playing because she’s a huge contemporary pop and r&b star. It baffles me why Elbow seem to be so high up on the bill? 

So the BBC can jizz when they play 'that' song.

13 minutes ago, kugglaw said:

Madness were poor on the Pyramid the other year. 2016? Just felt really flat. I was looking forward to them, but left disappointed.

3 hours ago, kugglaw said:

Clearly you didn't see Madness in 2016. As others said, it was quite a surreal disappointment to those of us looking forward to it.  Secondly the Cure are obviously not gonna come back imminently after such a cracking headline set and the Pogues haven't been active for years. 

If you're gonna advocate best before dates you really need to up your game. 

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about when you refer to "advocating best before dates". I have no knowledge of the performances you're referring to either. 

All I'm saying is Elbow are a very middle of the road band who don't have either a nostalgic appeal or feel very relevant in 2022.

Comparing them to the artists on the flyer you've posted is strange as they genuinely don't hold a candle to any of them.

54 minutes ago, kugglaw said:

All I'm saying is Elbow are a very middle of the road band who don't have either a nostalgic appeal or feel very relevant in 2022.

I don't disagree with that.

They are however a band that's proven to be hugely popular amongst the Glastonbury audience, and are friends of the festival™, and those facts will count for more than enough to ensure that that they're considered for decent slots.

Same reason that Coldplay will come around for another headline set eventually, no matter how many people complain about it being uninspired there'll be 5 times as many people in the field enjoying it.

Edited by incident

I mean its not as if  theyre not gonna book some safe acts on the bill.. The issue is why Elbow is getting a sub slot  before Kendrick Lamar of all artists. If its for crowd control purposes, well theyre succeeding in making sure their Sunday headliner is going to have a small amount of people wait around after Elbow, since those same folk are going to head towards Pet Shop Boys. BBC isnt gonna be showing many aerial shots of Kenny on sunday thats for sure.

I'm a bit surprised at some of the Elbow comments on here, quite un-Glastonbury like, they've put lots of new material out since the last time they played the Pyramid in 2014, I think they seem perfect for 3rd down on the Sunday, anyone who saw them play previously would agree that it always feels special seeing them down there, as he has a huge affinity with the place, and talks about it with such passion. They had a massive crowd even up against The XX when they did the secret slot up the Park a few years ago, and lets be perfectly honest, the size of Kendrick's crowd is going to have nothing to do with Elbow coming off stage about 3 hours earlier. Horses for courses and all that, if it's not for you, i'm sure there will be something somewhere to float your boat. God we need the full line up now don't we!! 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Franco Baresi said:

I'm a bit surprised at some of the Elbow comments on here, quite un-Glastonbury like, they've put lots of new material out since the last time they played the Pyramid in 2014, I think they seem perfect for 3rd down on the Sunday, anyone who saw them play previously would agree that it always feels special seeing them down there, as he has a huge affinity with the place, and talks about it with such passion. They had a massive crowd even up against The XX when they did the secret slot up the Park a few years ago, and lets be perfectly honest, the size of Kendrick's crowd is going to have nothing to do with Elbow coming off stage about 3 hours earlier. Horses for courses and all that, if it's not for you, i'm sure there will be something somewhere to float your boat. God we need the full line up now don't we!! 

Well said

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Franco Baresi said:

Not sure if i'm in the minority but it works for me cause I like Elbow and Kendrick

• Like 1

The thing is, as has been said before, they are a friend of the festival and were booked for the 50th celebration as were many others to commemorate the occasion. High up Sunday is the perfect slot for them! They’ll draw a huge crowd, One day like this, will be their last song, it’ll have loads of happy punters singing along and it’ll many peoples highlight of the festival. That’s why they’ve been booked, not Spotify streams or tic tic hits! Because they suit Glastonbury.

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, kugglaw said:

Several of the bands in this bill are playing this year (or key members from them) Waterboys, Paul Heaton, Billy Bragg are all around. 

I would happily see any of them again. 

I'm also looking forward to Elbow whatever position they play. 

1 hour ago, blue6field said:

The thing is, as has been said before, they are a friend of the festival and were booked for the 50th celebration as were many others to commemorate the occasion. High up Sunday is the perfect slot for them! They’ll draw a huge crowd, One day like this, will be their last song, it’ll have loads of happy punters singing along and it’ll many peoples highlight of the festival. That’s why they’ve been booked, not Spotify streams or tic tic hits! Because they suit Glastonbury.

If all they booked were acts that suited the festival then the lineups wouldnt progress past 2005. You likely would be happy with Elbow, Stereophonics and Coldplay being the headliners every year and not let any new artists have a chance.

9 minutes ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

Several of the bands in this bill are playing this year (or key members from them) Waterboys, Paul Heaton, Billy Bragg are all around. 

I would happily see any of them again. 

I'm also looking forward to Elbow whatever position they play. 

+1 for Elbow here, and Waterboys, Paul Heaton, Billy Bragg, Coldplay, Madness, Suzanne Vega, Fatboy Slim, Florence, Killers, The Cure, Radiohead....I could go on. All played multiple times, all put on a fantastic show, and many if not all of them have , over the years, created great festival memories for thousands of people. These sort of acts are part of the fabric of what Glastonbury is. Personally, I can’t see Doja  Cat ever fitting in to that category, but fresh big acts like her are also part of Glastonbury DNA. It’s a big enough festival to fit them all in, and all the better for it.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Just now, Suprefan said:

If all they booked were acts that suited the festival then the lineups wouldnt progress past 2005. You likely would be happy with Elbow, Stereophonics and Coldplay being the headliners every year and not let any new artists have a chance.

But they don’t, and that’s the point, the line up is what makes the festival what it is! We’re talking specifically about Elbow and why there being touted for the slot they might be in. Sunday late on, with the locals in attendance is the perfect slot for Elbow! If people don’t fancy it, there’s loads else, then rock up and enjoy Kendrick.

I hope you’re  not specifically referring to me, based on my previous post, being happy with Coldplay etc being headliners! 

not the case at all! But you certainly can’t accuse the Festival of booking a boring, in the past, line up, they will always book an Elbow and rightly so! There’s a shit load of punters of various ages to entertain!

• Upvote 1

I don't think you'll find anyone here who doesn't agree that the Glasto lineup has to be (and is) forward looking and a bit of friction with certain acts playing is positive.

Usually they get it spot on. 

The lineup is always deep and broad as well as changing with the times. 

There is always going to be a place for bands like elbow on the lineup as well as Doja Cat. It's fine. 

Personally,  I hope that Coldplay never headline again, do I think they will... almost certainly,  and that is fine because I'll be somewhere else.

And the festival will be just fine and everyone will have a great time in whatever field they are in and the folks at home watching TV can either watch it or choose something else. 

It will still sell out the next year and promote new acts in big slots as well. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1