Stage Predictions 2022: For real this time

dentalplan

1 minute ago, kingcrawler said:

Yeah I did think of them too. They’re another lazy booking but again, hard to criticise the festival too much for it when you can easily get a big act like them every few years. Not a surprising booking but they always go down well and draw a massive crowd.

At least they've changed it up for this year with the DJ set. I reckon quite a lot of people are going to be left disappointed by it expecting the full show

2 minutes ago, gfa said:

Chemical Brothers 4 other stage headline slots (3 of which were in the last decade) probably have to be up there too.

They do have an incredible live show though. I’ve seen them at Glastonbury twice and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I don’t mind a few Elbow tunes but wouldn’t be in a mad rush to see them. I get Matts point to be honest does feel like they’re always playing a slot you’d have preferred to go to someone a bit more exciting.

1 minute ago, gfa said:

At least they've changed it up for this year with the DJ set. I reckon quite a lot of people are going to be left disappointed by it expecting the full show

Don’t think many would be expecting that on Arcadia.

6 minutes ago, gfa said:

Chemical Brothers 4 other stage headline slots (3 of which were in the last decade) probably have to be up there too.

Interesting. Yes you can say they are a hard repeat, but you can’t say their new music has fallen under the radar. Their past few albums have been pretty successful and kept them relevant. They’ve solidified themselves as a mid-sized festival headliner and remain in demand.

On paper they should fall into the same category as elbow, but they definitely have way more stock and relevance. 

41 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

No one is saying they can’t play but at the end of the day, but by the same logic Glastonbury wouldn’t be Glastonbury if they took the IOW/V Festival route and booked the same acts every 2 years because they are easy to secure.

IOW/V thought it was a wonderful idea to book Stereophonics, Kings of Leon and The Killers literally every time they had a chance. Look where they are now! Gone / incredibly downsized.

Yes booking lovely safe cookie cutter Glastonbury bookings in high slots can be nice for some, but it’s not a great way to run a business. Eventually people feel like they aren’t getting anything new and the excitement dwindles.

I’m not saying never Elbow, but at the same time I’m not going to pretend I think it’s a quality booking. 

If you look at who is big on tik tok and who is playing the festival… looks like it’s not just me that sees it as a market to tap into 🤷‍♂️

I’m saying you need a bit of both and time has proven that including what you deride as ‘safe cookie cutter’ bookings has proven remarkably successful when it comes to running their business.

You may be taking what you want and extrapolating it to ‘people’ when the festival has over 100k punters with different tastes and thousands more who’s love tickets who also have a variety of tastes. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Matt42 said:

Interesting. Yes you can say they are a hard repeat, but you can’t say their new music has fallen under the radar. Their past few albums have been pretty successful and kept them relevant. They’ve solidified themselves as a mid-sized festival headliner and remain in demand.

On paper they should fall into the same category as elbow, but they definitely have way more stock and relevance. 

Its all about the live show, if they didn't have that they would fall down lineups like Fatboy Slim has (although he's had a resurgence recently). It forces them to play at night and on a large stage, which is why they headlined say Creamfields last year despite not really suiting it that much and definitely being smaller than all the EDM headliners.

Their most recent album No Geography is arguably their best work since the 90s too.

6 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

Don’t think many would be expecting that on Arcadia.

Fair enough. I know i'll be front and centre having a blast anyway 🙂 

On 5/7/2022 at 10:50 AM, Matt42 said:

Friday

Pyramid: Billie Eilish // Doja Cat // TBA // Olivia Rodrigo // Crowded House // Rufus Wainwright // Ukrainian Choir

Other: Foals // Wolf Alice // Supergrass // Blossoms // St Vincent // Griff // Sleaford Mods // Happy Mondays

West Holts: Little Simz // Bonobo // Seun Kuti & Egypt 80 // Greentea Peng

John Peel: Primal Scream // Four Tet // The Jesus and Mary Chain // Rina Sawayama // Pinkpantheress

Park: Phoebe Bridgers (night) // Arlo Parks // Khruangbin // Confidence Man

Acoustic: Robert Plant and Alison Krauss

Saturday

Pyramid: Paul McCartney // Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds // HAIM // Megan Thee Stallion // Kacey Musgraves // Easy Life // Tony Christie

Other: Calvin Harris // Burna Boy // TBA (Paolo Nutini) // Phoebe Bridgers (day) // First Aid Kit // Metronomy // Skunk Anansie // The Lathums // TBA

West Holts: Leon Bridges // TLC // Sampa The Great // Celeste // Tems // Koffee

John Peel: Glass Animals // Fontaines D.C // Sigrid // Caroline Polachek // Black Midi

Park: Caribou // Mitski // Big Thief // Jarv..is.

Acoustic: The Waterboys

Sunday

Pyramid: Kendrick Lamar // Lorde // Elbow // Diana Ross // Angelique Kidjo // Herbie Hancock // The Black Dyke Brass Band

Other: Pet Shop Boys // Years & Years // Sam Fender // IDLES // Declan McKenna // Amyl and the Sniffers // Lianne La Havas // TBA

West Holts: Bicep // Ghetts // Nightmares on Wax // Joy Crookes

John Peel: Charli XCX // Jessie Ware // TBA // Clairo // Turnstille

Park: Roisin Murphy // Courtney Barnett // The Avalanches // Holly Humberstone // Wet Leg

Acoustic: Paul Heaton & Jacqui Abbott

Sorry if I have missed something, but I thought Calvin Harris was at Arcadia rather than the Other stage?

17 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

Elbow subbed in 2011, subbed in 2014, did a secret set in 2017 and were presumably third down in 2020. To be fair to Matt, that is quite a lot and without checking must be the most high profile spots an act has had at Glastonbury in the last decade, Foals are the only others I can think who’ve had four pretty big slots from 2010 onwards. They’re not an exciting booking, most people who want to have seen them by now, a lot of which at the festival itself, but equally you need acts like Elbow, Blossoms, Primal Scream etc padding out the lineup, names you see on the poster and have no reaction to.

Glastonbury works so well by having a fairly diverse and well curated lineup on the main stages. Some people want to see legends, others want big pop acts, some want exciting up and coming acts while others want some acts they know and can sing along with. The festival do a great job of balancing that and usually deliver a lineup that most people going are happy with. If you just booked new acts and avoided repeat bookings you’d run out of acts pretty quickly. Equally, booking the same acts every year is incredibly dull and Matt is spot on in terms of not wanting it to turn into another V/IOW. For every Elbow or Foals on the lineup there’s a Doja Cat or Sam Fender, and that’s absolutely fine.

Exactly. Plus there’ll be plenty there who don’t go every year. Repeat bookings are a big deal on here but not necessarily to everyone. I’ve been to 8 Glastonbury’s and seen Elbow once, a number unlikely to change as things stand. But then come June 26 if they are on after (for example) D Ross and it’s raining and I’m tired and I can’t be bothered moving to Holly Humberstone I’ll probably watch them and enjoy it. 

1 minute ago, hodgey123 said:

Sorry if I have missed something, but I thought Calvin Harris was at Arcadia rather than the Other stage?

I think he will headline the other on the Saturday.

Chase and Status headlined the other and played Arcadia after. I don’t think Calvin will be coming over for just one set, especially in the middle of an Ibiza residency. He’d have to be taking a crazy paycut.

I also think there will be a dance headliner. When was the last time the Other stage didn’t have one?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I think he will headline the other on the Saturday.

Chase and Status headlined the other and played Arcadia after. I don’t think Calvin will be coming over for just one set, especially in the middle of an Ibiza residency. He’d have to be taking a crazy paycut.

I also think there will be a dance headliner. When was the last time the Other stage didn’t have one?

Yeah I've also thought this since the love regenerator rumours on arcadia. Reckon the other side will be crowd pleases. Arcadia more of the serious stuff 

5 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

Exactly. Plus there’ll be plenty there who don’t go every year. Repeat bookings are a big deal on here but not necessarily to everyone. I’ve been to 8 Glastonbury’s and seen Elbow once, a number unlikely to change as things stand. But then come June 26 if they are on after (for example) D Ross and it’s raining and I’m tired and I can’t be bothered moving to Holly Humberstone I’ll probably watch them and enjoy it. 

I hope Holly plays a couple of sets, would love to catch her, but yeah if she’s on the park Sunday around the time of Fender/Diana that will suck.

2 minutes ago, gfa said:

The fact he's billed as Calvin Harris on Arcadia strongly puts me off the idea he's on the Other to be honest.

Opposite for me. If it’s the only set he’s doing of the weekend I think it’s crazy to bill him as CS… will pull a massive crowd.

If it’s one of many, the crowd won’t be as dangerous. Putting him on the Arcadia lineup 2 months out is a pretty bold move for quite a small stage.

11 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Opposite for me. If it’s the only set he’s doing of the weekend I think it’s crazy to bill him as CS… will pull a massive crowd.

If it’s one of many, the crowd won’t be as dangerous. Putting him on the Arcadia lineup 2 months out is a pretty bold move for quite a small stage.

I thought Arcadia was a decently sized field? On the map theres similar room to say Other stage. Maybe not the best view / sound for a lot of people, but surely no worse than the back of the crowd on the Pyramid

edit - they have clearly expanded it a lot too this year

Edited by gfa

Just now, Matt42 said:

Booking Calvin *just* for Arcadia is kinda like booking Swedish House Mafia *just* for Arcadia… it doesn’t feel right. I can’t see a scenario where Calvin would be fine not wanting something more.

Its a massive paycut either way, he clearly just wants to give glastonbury a go. Surely he approached the festival and then they directed him to Arcadia as thats where they thought he would fit best rather than saving him for themselves. Not sure

Wouldn’t surprise me to see him return to headline Other next year after giving the place a once over, but I really doubt he’s doing a bigger gig than the spider this year (wouldn’t completely rule out a secret set/appearance elsewhere, though).

Edited by FloorFiller

5 minutes ago, gfa said:

I thought Arcadia was a decently sized field? On the map theres similar room to say Other stage. Maybe not the best view / sound for a lot of people, but surely no worse than the back of the crowd on the Pyramid

edit - they have clearly expanded it a lot too this year

4 minutes ago, gfa said:

Its a massive paycut either way, he clearly just wants to give glastonbury a go. Surely he approached the festival and then they directed him to Arcadia as thats where they thought he would fit best rather than saving him for themselves. Not sure

I’m not too sure. Calvin is mad mad big. Way way bigger than other dance acts Glastonbury has booked. A few years ago he’s probably the only DJ on the planet that could have headlined the pyramid stage.

He’s an extremely recognisable name and I feel like the Arcadia field would be completely packed even at 3am.

13 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

Let's not forget he gets to perform from inside a giant mechanical spider. If Calvin is anything like me this will be a dream come true, a dream he has held since he saw the Wicki-Wicki-Wild Wild West starring Will Smith. 

That's reason enough to pick Arcadia over the other stage

It makes it a lot more special being on a smaller stage too. Not sure if he's got a huge rep for random small shows but he is doing his first scottish show in 6 years this summer so maybe he's just checking off glastonbury too

I think covid may have given a little FOMO kick for some artists previously reluctant to play.

41 minutes ago, TiZuff said:

how of of macca do we have to miss to get into the field for calvin harris at arcadia? im assuming they will shut it down once its full.

If you leave at the eighth round of “naaa na na nanna na naaaa…” you’ll be fine.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, TiZuff said:

how of of macca do we have to miss to get into the field for calvin harris at arcadia? im assuming they will shut it down once its full.

Looking at his set list for the got back tour I reckon you'd have to leave before his string of 4/5 at the end of the main set to be absolutely sure. Or at least moving towards the edge of the crowd when yes doing that. 

https://www.setlist.fm/stats/average-setlist/paul-mccartney-13d6bd15.html?tour=bdefd76

Runs a high risk of missing the best bits of McCartney and also not seeing any of Calvin Harris. Personally I'd pick one and then see where the night goes.

11 minutes ago, Acid_Haze said:

Educated guesses but still probably got it completely wrong. Enjoy the clashes everyone!image.thumb.png.f41de982ccc324537966ec2fed2da811.png

image.thumb.png.4d7695a92e22ed2d8fc68f6beaad99d1.png

image.thumb.png.74846d844c692c4a4444bd042c5403ea.png

https://clashfinder.com/s/gberry22

Kacey won’t be above Megan, Megan is waaaay bigger than Kacey. She was 5th down for 2020 (we think) so if anything they will trade places. Due to the country background a lot of people in the UK (who don’t follow country at all) won’t have a clue who she is.

Think Olivia is too low. But her third down the other in the slot billie had isn’t that crazy… but I’d be shocked if she isn’t on the pyramid. 

Edited by Matt42