Stage Predictions 2022: For real this time

dentalplan

9 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Friday

Pyramid: Billie Eilish // Doja Cat // TBA // Olivia Rodrigo // Crowded House // Rufus Wainwright // Ukrainian Choir

Other: Foals // Wolf Alice // Supergrass // Blossoms // St Vincent // Griff // Sleaford Mods // Happy Mondays

West Holts: Little Simz // Bonobo // Seun Kuti & Egypt 80 // Greentea Peng

John Peel: Primal Scream // Four Tet // The Jesus and Mary Chain // Rina Sawayama // Pinkpantheress

Park: Phoebe Bridgers (night) // Arlo Parks // Khruangbin // Confidence Man

Acoustic: Robert Plant and Alison Krauss

Saturday

Pyramid: Paul McCartney // Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds // HAIM // Megan Thee Stallion // Kacey Musgraves // Easy Life // Tony Christie

Other: Calvin Harris // Burna Boy // TBA (Paolo Nutini) // Phoebe Bridgers (day) // First Aid Kit // Metronomy // Skunk Anansie // The Lathums // TBA

West Holts: Leon Bridges // TLC // Sampa The Great // Celeste // Tems // Koffee

John Peel: Glass Animals // Fontaines D.C // Sigrid // Caroline Polachek // Black Midi

Park: Caribou // Mitski // Big Thief // Jarv..is.

Acoustic: The Waterboys

Sunday

Pyramid: Kendrick Lamar // Lorde // Elbow // Diana Ross // Angelique Kidjo // Herbie Hancock // The Black Dyke Brass Band

Other: Pet Shop Boys // Years & Years // Sam Fender // IDLES // Declan McKenna // Amyl and the Sniffers // Lianne La Havas // TBA

West Holts: Bicep // Ghetts // Nightmares on Wax // Joy Crookes

John Peel: Charli XCX // Jessie Ware // TBA // Clairo // Turnstille

Park: Roisin Murphy // Courtney Barnett // The Avalanches // Holly Humberstone // Wet Leg

Acoustic: Paul Heaton & Jacqui Abbott

No Four Tet? Are do you think it’s Arcadia only for him? 

On 5/7/2022 at 1:15 PM, Matt42 said:

I don’t have a problem with it as it means I get to go elsewhere, but I do get grumbly if a band like Elbow is given a pretty large slot. I’m happy to see they aren’t a sub anymore… mainly because I think those kind of slots are best reserved for someone more exciting.

If Glastonbury got into a position where they awarded friends of the festival the best slots every year and rested on these kind of relationships it wouldn’t be Glastonbury, and it would lose that excitement which causes 200k tickets being snapped up instantly. No problem with Elbow playing but I don’t want them to keep their big slot status for much longer.

You need a mix of everything. By the same token Glastonbury wouldn’t be Glastonbury if it was filling the high slots with each years latest hype. There’s acts that have history with the festival and have helped out, earned their corn doing secret slots and guest appearances and helping make the place special. Or have gone over very well with the Glastonbury crowd in the past. Those acts are always in with a good shout of getting a bigger slot at Glastonbury than other festivals and IMO rightly so. That history is part of what sets it aside from others. 

I’m a bit surprised by the vitriol that sometimes gets directed towards Elbow, Coldplay etc on here (I know, it’s the Internet) but Emily and co are very good at getting that mix right.

10 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

You need a mix of everything. By the same token Glastonbury wouldn’t be Glastonbury if it was filling the high slots with each years latest hype. There’s acts that have history with the festival and have helped out, earned their corn doing secret slots and guest appearances and helping make the place special. Or have gone over very well with the Glastonbury crowd in the past. Those acts are always in with a good shout of getting a bigger slot at Glastonbury than other festivals and IMO rightly so. That history is part of what sets it aside from others. 

I’m a bit surprised by the vitriol that sometimes gets directed towards Elbow, Coldplay etc on here (I know, it’s the Internet) but Emily and co are very good at getting that mix right.

Elbow don’t do the numbers on TikTok. Nothing else matters.

18 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

No one is saying they can’t play but at the end of the day, but by the same logic Glastonbury wouldn’t be Glastonbury if they took the IOW/V Festival route and booked the same acts every 2 years because they are easy to secure.

IOW/V thought it was a wonderful idea to book Stereophonics, Kings of Leon and The Killers literally every time they had a chance. Look where they are now! Gone / incredibly downsized.

Yes booking lovely safe cookie cutter Glastonbury bookings in high slots can be nice for some, but it’s not a great way to run a business. Eventually people feel like they aren’t getting anything new and the excitement dwindles.

I’m not saying never Elbow, but at the same time I’m not going to pretend I think it’s a quality booking. 

15 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Elbow don’t do the numbers on TikTok. Nothing else matters.

If you look at who is big on tik tok and who is playing the festival… looks like it’s not just me that sees it as a market to tap into 🤷‍♂️

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

No one is saying they can’t play but at the end of the day, but by the same logic Glastonbury wouldn’t be Glastonbury if they took the IOW/V Festival route and booked the same acts every 2 years because they are easy to secure.

IOW/V thought it was a wonderful idea to book Stereophonics, Kings of Leon and The Killers literally every time they had a chance. Look where they are now! Gone / incredibly downsized.

Yes booking lovely safe cookie cutter Glastonbury bookings in high slots can be nice for some, but it’s not a great way to run a business. Eventually people feel like they aren’t getting anything new and the excitement dwindles.

I’m not saying never Elbow, but at the same time I’m not going to pretend I think it’s a quality booking. 

If you look at who is big on tik tok and who is playing the festival… looks like it’s not just me that sees it as a market to tap into 🤷‍♂️

Is this another “I have a better idea than most which way the festival is heading” moment?

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Is this another “I have a better idea than most which way the festival is heading” moment?

I don’t know sometimes why you ignore everything I say and make it out that i’m saying something insane 

Edited by Matt42

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

I don’t know sometimes why you ignore everything I say and make it out than i’m saying something insane 

Not insane, but you do come across as rather dismissive of anything older, guitar based or not especially “cool”.

Not everyone is interested in the latest social media fad. You claim the festival shouldn’t turn into IOW whereas you seem to want to turn it into Parklife. There’s a balance between the two that the bookers are very good at achieving.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, TheGChild said:

Do we know; day, time, stage for First Aid Kit and The Waterboys. Anyone? Cheers. x

Waterboys are headlining other against paul mccartney.  Or have i totally dreamed that? Sure mike scott said about running over to catch the end of the set. May totally be misremembering that and it was about another festival.

1 minute ago, danmarks said:

Waterboys are headlining other against paul mccartney.  Or have i totally dreamed that? Sure mike scott said about running over to catch the end of the set. May totally be misremembering that and it was about another festival.

Acoustic, not Other. 

Just now, Hugh Jass II said:

Not insane, but you do come across as rather dismissive of anything older, guitar based or not especially “cool”.

Not everyone is interested in the latest social media fad. You claim the festival shouldn’t turn into IOW whereas you seem to want to turn it into Parklife. There’s a balance between the two that the bookers are very good at achieving.

I don’t get where you find this view I hate guitar music when the last gig i went to was the War on Drugs, I’m going to Tool tomorrow, and I’ve booked the Rolling Stones as a post Glastonbury gig? Does that sound like someone who only cares about social media fads?

I’m far from dismissive of things that are older. There’s plenty of “old” bookings Glastonbury can make and there are plenty of them I’m going to see at the festival.

I think it’s more the case that there is a protective ring around some acts here that no one is allowed to criticise.

On 5/7/2022 at 10:50 AM, Matt42 said:

Friday

Pyramid: Billie Eilish // Doja Cat // TBA // Olivia Rodrigo // Crowded House // Rufus Wainwright // Ukrainian Choir

Other: Foals // Wolf Alice // Supergrass // Blossoms // St Vincent // Griff // Sleaford Mods // Happy Mondays

West Holts: Little Simz // Bonobo // Seun Kuti & Egypt 80 // Greentea Peng

John Peel: Primal Scream // Four Tet // The Jesus and Mary Chain // Rina Sawayama // Pinkpantheress

Park: Phoebe Bridgers (night) // Arlo Parks // Khruangbin // Confidence Man

Acoustic: Robert Plant and Alison Krauss

Saturday

Pyramid: Paul McCartney // Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds // HAIM // Megan Thee Stallion // Kacey Musgraves // Easy Life // Tony Christie

Other: Calvin Harris // Burna Boy // TBA (Paolo Nutini) // Phoebe Bridgers (day) // First Aid Kit // Metronomy // Skunk Anansie // The Lathums // TBA

West Holts: Leon Bridges // TLC // Sampa The Great // Celeste // Tems // Koffee

John Peel: Glass Animals // Fontaines D.C // Sigrid // Caroline Polachek // Black Midi

Park: Caribou // Mitski // Big Thief // Jarv..is.

Acoustic: The Waterboys

Sunday

Pyramid: Kendrick Lamar // Lorde // Elbow // Diana Ross // Angelique Kidjo // Herbie Hancock // The Black Dyke Brass Band

Other: Pet Shop Boys // Years & Years // Sam Fender // IDLES // Declan McKenna // Amyl and the Sniffers // Lianne La Havas // TBA

West Holts: Bicep // Ghetts // Nightmares on Wax // Joy Crookes

John Peel: Charli XCX // Jessie Ware // TBA // Clairo // Turnstille

Park: Roisin Murphy // Courtney Barnett // The Avalanches // Holly Humberstone // Wet Leg

Acoustic: Paul Heaton & Jacqui Abbott

Happy Mondays are playing.... How did I miss that 🤣🤣🤣 that's me not moving from the other stage all day on the Friday 

Edit - could shoot across to watch crowded House on my way to but a Welsh oggie

🤣👍

Edited by gazzared

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I don’t get where you find this view I hate guitar music when the last gig i went to was the War on Drugs, I’m going to Tool tomorrow, and I’ve booked the Rolling Stones as a post Glastonbury gig? Does that sound like someone who only cares about social media fads?

I’m far from dismissive of things that are older. There’s plenty of “old” bookings Glastonbury can make and there are plenty of them I’m going to see at the festival.

I think it’s more the case that there is a protective ring around some acts here that no one is allowed to criticise.

I don’t think there’s a protective ring around Elbow, I doubt there are too many hardcore Guy Garvey fans on here. More confusion about what makes them less worthy than any of the other acts mentioned.

Not everything has to be new or cutting edge, sometimes you just want something warm and familiar. I guarantee One Day Like This would get one of the biggest crowd reactions of the whole weekend.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DirtyLurker said:

How sure are those timings?

The 2 must sees that I have are on at the same time.... tell me this is purely based on guesswork and Bicep & Róisín Murphy aren't on at the same time?

Bicep is confirmed for that slot, roisin is just guess work 🙂 

1 minute ago, DirtyLurker said:

How sure are those timings?

The 2 must sees that I have are on at the same time.... tell me this is purely based on guesswork and Bicep & Róisín Murphy aren't on at the same time?

Guess work but doesn’t the park close earlier on a Sunday?

I think Roisin makes sense as a Sunday park headliner, she will most likely finish before Bicep start.

2 minutes ago, gfa said:

Bicep is confirmed for that slot, roisin is just guess work 🙂 

That what I wanted to hear, cheers 😉

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Guess work but doesn’t the park close earlier on a Sunday?

I think Roisin makes sense as a Sunday park headliner, she will most likely finish before Bicep start.

Guesswork = good😉

until that clash is confirmed as I clash I can live in hope, and/or prepare my run from Park to WH

Elbow subbed in 2011, subbed in 2014, did a secret set in 2017 and were presumably third down in 2020. To be fair to Matt, that is quite a lot and without checking must be the most high profile spots an act has had at Glastonbury in the last decade, Foals are the only others I can think who’ve had four pretty big slots from 2010 onwards. They’re not an exciting booking, most people who want to have seen them by now, a lot of which at the festival itself, but equally you need acts like Elbow, Blossoms, Primal Scream etc padding out the lineup, names you see on the poster and have no reaction to.

Glastonbury works so well by having a fairly diverse and well curated lineup on the main stages. Some people want to see legends, others want big pop acts, some want exciting up and coming acts while others want some acts they know and can sing along with. The festival do a great job of balancing that and usually deliver a lineup that most people going are happy with. If you just booked new acts and avoided repeat bookings you’d run out of acts pretty quickly. Equally, booking the same acts every year is incredibly dull and Matt is spot on in terms of not wanting it to turn into another V/IOW. For every Elbow or Foals on the lineup there’s a Doja Cat or Sam Fender, and that’s absolutely fine.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

Elbow subbed in 2011, subbed in 2014, did a secret set in 2017 and were presumably third down in 2020. To be fair to Matt, that is quite a lot and without checking must be the most high profile spots an act has had at Glastonbury in the last decade, Foals are the only others I can think who’ve had four pretty big slots from 2010 onwards. They’re not an exciting booking, most people who want to have seen them by now, a lot of which at the festival itself, but equally you need acts like Elbow, Blossoms, Primal Scream etc padding out the lineup, names you see on the poster and have no reaction to.

Glastonbury works so well by having a fairly diverse and well curated lineup on the main stages. Some people want to see legends, others want big pop acts, some want exciting up and coming acts while others want some acts they know and can sing along with. The festival do a great job of balancing that and usually deliver a lineup that most people going are happy with. If you just booked new acts and avoided repeat bookings you’d run out of acts pretty quickly. Equally, booking the same acts every year is incredibly dull and Matt is spot on in terms of not wanting it to turn into another V/IOW. For every Elbow or Foals on the lineup there’s a Doja Cat or Sam Fender, and that’s absolutely fine.

Chemical Brothers 4 other stage headline slots (3 of which were in the last decade) probably have to be up there too.

Just now, gfa said:

Chemical Brothers 4 other stage headline slots (3 of which were in the last decade) probably have to be up there too.

Yeah I did think of them too. They’re another lazy booking but again, hard to criticise the festival too much for it when you can easily get a big act like them every few years. Not a surprising booking but they always go down well and draw a massive crowd.