Stage Predictions 2022: For real this time

dentalplan

5 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Still booked to headline though.

So were Biffy Clyro, Lionel Ritchie, Liam Gallagher, David Guetta, Snow Patrol, Noel Gallagher and Duran Duran to name a few. Neither have got or are probably getting Glastonbury headliner slots in the near future.

Infact, 2019 was the year it was clear IOW had taken a step down and were booking a more sub based act to survive. They have booked nothing since that says different

Edited by thewayiam
  • Upvote 1

Just because Ezra makes Sheeran-style music doesn't mean he needs Sheeran-level popularity and success to justify himself as a headliner. 

People saying he can't headline because he's not as popular globally as one of the biggest artists in the world is a ridiculous argument to make.

He's a household name with some huge hits behind him and a good track record as a live performer. He's not my cup of tea really but unless he drops a complete bollock of a 3rd album then he's on course to headline no doubt and justifiably so. 

25 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

Just because Ezra makes Sheeran-style music doesn't mean he needs Sheeran-level popularity and success to justify himself as a headliner. 

People saying he can't headline because he's not as popular globally as one of the biggest artists in the world is a ridiculous argument to make.

He's a household name with some huge hits behind him and a good track record as a live performer. He's not my cup of tea really but unless he drops a complete bollock of a 3rd album then he's on course to headline no doubt and justifiably so. 

Like I said... wilful ignorance.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

My dude, I was not the one to introduce Sheeran as a comparison. 🤷‍♂️

After the high of the Livestream this weekend, all this talk off Ezra as a headliner is bringing the mood back down again.  Given that a 2 year break is surely going to leave them spoilt for choice Ezra would be a really underwhelming pick.

Ezra is a fine headliner. He’s got the chops and the tunes to do it. Hell, he had the crowd and the set of a headliner in 2019.

Dont understand how people dislike him so much. I wouldn’t expect efests to double as his official fan club, but it’s a waste of energy to hate him so much. There’s plenty worse out there.

• Upvote 1

Not someone I would choose to watch but I’ve just seen a clip of him in 2019 and I don’t doubt he could headline and do a decent job, just feels and sounds underwhelming. I feel he would be more suited to a late afternoon/ early evening slot with a big crowd sing along

21 minutes ago, circus92 said:

After the high of the Livestream this weekend, all this talk off Ezra as a headliner is bringing the mood back down again.  Given that a 2 year break is surely going to leave them spoilt for choice Ezra would be a really underwhelming pick.

To be fair I don’t think anyone is suggesting him for next year, but 23/24 wouldn’t shock me in the slightest.

21 minutes ago, jparx said:

Ezra is a fine headliner. He’s got the chops and the tunes to do it. Hell, he had the crowd and the set of a headliner in 2019.

Dont understand how people dislike him so much. I wouldn’t expect efests to double as his official fan club, but it’s a waste of energy to hate him so much. There’s plenty worse out there.

I'm not hating on him but I was at his sub set. It was quite flat in parts. It wasn't a headliner set.

24 minutes ago, jparx said:

Don't get me wrong - I don't dislike him at all - he seems like a really nice guy, and his music is popular enough, but is he not just a bit ... beige?

Has he really got enough hits to fill out a headline set?  He definitely has half a dozen big hits, but beyond that there's not much depth.

We are talking about a Glastonbury Pyramid Headline slot here - I just don't see it.

14 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I'm not hating on him but I was at his sub set. It was quite flat in parts. It wasn't a headliner set.

But he wasn't doing a headliner set, he was doing a sub headliner set. Which is an opinion based thing on what that is. 

I'm indifferent of him. The amount of people saying he hasn't got enough hits when he has more hits than Stormzy STILL currently has when he headlined, he might be 'bland' to you but he's clearly popular and his set in 2019 showed that. If he falls off on his next album then probably not but if its anywhere near as close as his 2nd and has anywhere near a track as big as Shotgun then he's an easy go. To have a set where you have 3 albums and a good amount of them are top 10 singles, with 3 number 1 albums is a lot more than can be said for your typical Glastonbury headliner. 

4 minutes ago, circus92 said:

Has he really got enough hits to fill out a headline set?  He definitely has half a dozen big hits, but beyond that there's not much depth.

We are talking about a Glastonbury Pyramid Headline slot here - I just don't see it.

Why do you now need depth in your set to headline a festival? He has a few upbeat songs, a few solo guitar songs and a bunch of sing alongs. 

I submit that George Ezra has more “hits” than any of Stormzy, Florence, Arcade Fire or Mumfords when they each headlined. And see no reason why his standing would not diminish on his next album.

People seem to be going mad about the prospect of Billie Eilish (one album, one underwhelming Other set) or Dua Lipa (two albums, never played higher than the JP) headlining. Seems odd to me that they are considered worthy headliners but Ezra isn’t.

Genre bias? Or classic eFests “I don’t like the guy so I’m going to dismiss his credentials”?

4 hours ago, Matt42 said:

A selection of my favourites

Therefore I Am, ilomilo, when the party’s over, Idontwanttobeyouanymore, my boy, bellyache, COPYCAT, watch, my strange addiction.

some deeper cuts but very good tracks imo 

Yep almost exactly my list of best songs.

ilomilo is one of my favourite tracks of the past 5 years - the production work alone is just stunning. 

16 minutes ago, circus92 said:

Don't get me wrong - I don't dislike him at all - he seems like a really nice guy, and his music is popular enough, but is he not just a bit ... beige?

Half a dozen big hits is quite a lot. It’s more than Florence, Arcade Fire, Stormzy, (arguably) Metallica, probably equal to The Killers...

All I know is I was at the sub set and he played for well over an hour and the crowd was eating out the palm of his hand for the duration. A new album on top of that and he walks it. He’s got the presence for it too, and the whole brass section doesn’t hurt either!

My only concern for his headliner credentials is the guy has spammed the festival in recent years, and sometimes you can slip in to being viewed as someone who always plays and therefore maybe not quite a special booking. I think Foals have a similar issue

Edited by jparx

8 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I submit that George Ezra has more “hits” than any of Stormzy, Florence, Arcade Fire or Mumfords when they each headlined. And see no reason why his standing would not diminish on his next album.

People seem to be going mad about the prospect of Billie Eilish (one album, one underwhelming Other set) or Dua Lipa (two albums, never played higher than the JP) headlining. Seems odd to me that they are considered worthy headliners but Ezra isn’t.

Genre bias? Or classic eFests “I don’t like the guy so I’m going to dismiss his credentials”?

Agree with most of this - he does have more hits than those you mentioned, but I just think it would be very dull choice, given the alternatives queuing up to play.  Also agree on Billie Eilish - I don't consider her worthy over Ezra at all, in fact given the choice I would probably see Ezra.  I realise Billie has become huge, but I really don't get it at all.  Of the 3 you mentioned, Dua would have the best claim to the slot - 2 massive albums, load of bangers and would be a proper party - is that not what a Pyramid headliner is?

12 minutes ago, jparx said:

Half a dozen big hits is quite a lot. It’s more than Florence, Arcade Fire, Stormzy

Completely agree on those acts - but they were probably booked in leaner times.  Considering the 2 year gap they are going to be spoilt for choice, so you would hope the bar to be selected would be raised a bit higher.

Okay two things to clear up on Billie:

- she has enough material right now to headline (an ep, an album and a handful of additional big singles). She has more hits already than most headliners over the last decade. This is all before her new album drops.

- yes she wasn’t good on the Other stage. She smashed it at the other festivals she played, though. I don’t see how that set has any relevance to whether they’d book her to headline.

1 hour ago, chazwwe said:

Why do you now need depth in your set to headline a festival? He has a few upbeat songs, a few solo guitar songs and a bunch of sing alongs. 

I submit Mumford and Sons in 2013 as exhibit A m'lud.