Stage Predictions 2022: For real this time

dentalplan

I dunno how much the placings are 'locked' at this moment but Sam Fender seems like he'll be underbilled for sure.

43k sales this week (after 40k opening week for album one) is absolutely huge. 4th biggest first-week of the year after Drake, O-Rod and Dave. Nearly 4x the sales of Lorde. Plus an arena tour that's shifted massive numbers despite there being a tour to come before it...

I think he'd have been a comfortable Pyramid sub if they were still booking those slots now but he will likely have to settle for a Craig David's gargantuan crowd on the Other.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

I dunno how much the placings are 'locked' at this moment but Sam Fender seems like he'll be underbilled for sure.

43k sales this week (after 40k opening week for album one) is absolutely huge. 4th biggest first-week of the year after Drake, O-Rod and Dave. Nearly 4x the sales of Lorde. Plus an arena tour that's shifted massive numbers despite there being a tour to come before it...

I think he'd have been a comfortable Pyramid sub if they were still booking those slots now but he will likely have to settle for a Craig David's gargantuan crowd on the Other.

I think we could definitely have a year of acts being underbilled. I think Glasto is the only place that can get away with this and it’s probably for this year only.

I imagine Wolf Alice, Sam Fender, AJ Tracey, Dua Lipa, HAIM etc to all look slightly underbilled.

I’ve seen some people mention Sam Fender as a potential R&L headliner for next year, which I could see happening to be honest. I suggested him as a potential Pyramid sub the other day but I agree that Other sub seems more likely given the competition around next summer. As @Matt42 says, there could be a lot of big acts playing one or two slots below what they normally would. 

To follow on from this I’ve reached a point where I haven’t got a clue what this final lineup is going to look like. I’m half expecting some people to just drop off at this point with no explanation.

I’m also expecting them to offer slots to people for 2023 if they can’t quite place them on the 2022 lineup. So some artists being around in 2022 that were booked for 2020 but coming back in 2023.

8 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

I think Noel should be politely uninvited to make room for others. I can't imagine too many punters would be upset if he's not there. 

'At least 95% of Glastonbury attendees who would be interested in seeing Noel Gallagher live have already seen him at least once' (I pulled this stat from my arse but it's probably true)

I don’t think Noel will be uninvited but I have him down as a potential to just disappear from the lineup. Mainly because he seemed to express doubt in being around in 2022 in that interview. Sounds like he’s up for playing but he doesn’t sound like he’s gearing up for shows in a couple of months (in 6 months time it’s technically the start of the festival period!).

12 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

I think Noel should be politely uninvited to make room for others. I can't imagine too many punters would be upset if he's not there. 

'At least 95% of Glastonbury attendees who would be interested in seeing Noel Gallagher live have already seen him at least once' (I pulled this stat from my arse but it's probably true)

I’d be upset.

9 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I think we could definitely have a year of acts being underbilled. I think Glasto is the only place that can get away with this and it’s probably for this year only.

I imagine Wolf Alice, Sam Fender, AJ Tracey, Dua Lipa, HAIM etc to all look slightly underbilled.

If this is the lower card, along with Lorde and a few other bigger acts, it really will be a sight to see on the line up come next June. 

Just now, chazwwe said:

Macca
Noel
Sam Fender
Aerosmith.

If it is that, its very samey. I think having someone of a different genre in that 3rd slot would help things out a bit. I think he's probably locked for sub headlining Other. 

Are we deffo thinking Kendrick is on the Sunday then? 

(see what I mean - this year is a mess to predict)

Edited by Matt42

Also one thing that is stuck in my mind that we’ve not really discussed.

Supergrass.

Apparently they were subbing other in 2020. Is this going to be the case again? I’m ngl there are way better candidates to do this in 2022 I’d be a bit miffed if Supergrass got that gig again.

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Supergrass.

Apparently they were subbing other in 2020. Is this going to be the case again? I’m ngl there are way better candidates to do this in 2022 I’d be a bit miffed if Supergrass got that gig again.

Were they definitely subbing? Kinda agree the shine on their reunion has dropped a fair bit now that they’ve seemingly played every shitty festival in the U.K. so that would seem like a pretty generous slot for them, but would still expect them to get a high Other slot. I’d always assumed they were third down anyway.

6 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Are we deffo thinking Kendrick is on the Sunday then? 

(see what I mean - this year is a mess to predict)

Not a clue, I can't picture Kendrick playng the Saturday time BBC slot that gets all the views, but I also can't see him closing the festival. 

I doubt BBC have a say in the matter though. I have a feeling Maccas set will be special with a few guests (aerosmoth/Noel including) which would be easier done if he was still on the Saturday. 

35 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Supergrass.

They would make a good Other opener, similar stature to the bands that have had that slot in the last few years

39 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Were they definitely subbing? Kinda agree the shine on their reunion has dropped a fair bit now that they’ve seemingly played every shitty festival in the U.K. so that would seem like a pretty generous slot for them, but would still expect them to get a high Other slot. I’d always assumed they were third down anyway.

3 minutes ago, mazola said:

They would make a good Other opener, similar stature to the bands that have had that slot in the last few years

I can’t find the article but I’l have a proper look later, but they said they were playing before Fatboy slim on the Friday and AJ Tracey was playing before them.

Far too generous of a slot now. If they come back to that slot it will look rather weird.

How does this work though? Sliding someone down who is effectively a “roll over” from 2020?

The only way I can imagine it is if they say that they’re wiping the slate clean and reorganising the whole lineup.

The crowded house info makes me think that this was the likely approach.

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Shift them to JP headliner?

8 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Possibly. I'm not sure it's that deep.

Line-up placings are less of a factor for artists and agents than you'd assume. Obviously there's cases of diva behaviour and strops, but broadly speaking, get your bag and don't get a humiliating slot and everyone's happy.

Supergrass got a last-minute call to go 3rd on the Pyramid in 2004 after The Libs disintegrated — same slot they played the year before. There's been fortune on their side, and their agent is hardly gonna pull his reunited group off the line-up because AJ Tracey happened to have a raft of hits between summer 2020 and summer 2022.

Supergrass were never in line to headline anyway so it's less of a demotion and more other candidates rising the ranks.

Yeah. I think the other is going to be really hard to predict next year. This is how I see it going at the moment.

Friday: Queens Of The Stone Age // Wolf Alice // Aitch // Blossoms

Saturday: Pet Shop Boys // Robyn // Sam Fender // Mabel

Sunday: Dua Lipa // AJ Tracey // Anderson Pak // Supergrass

(on the basis the headliners are Billie fri, Kendrick sat, Paul sun).

* but then I think Megan thee stallion is playing so no idea.

Edited by Matt42

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

I don’t think Noel will be uninvited but I have him down as a potential to just disappear from the lineup.

He’s been openly begging to play Glastonbury since 2015 so I highly doubt he’d turn down the opportunity. 

Edited by kalifire

2 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Andy's at London Stadium on Sat and Sun! So that's him over to Friday.

Gonna spread bets a bit here. I can see one of Fender or Wolf Alice being on Pyramid. I also, deep down, query if Robyn gets an automatic return to sub so will have a flutter on Haim subbing, as I'm still unconvinced they'll be high on El Pointo.

Friday: Queens Of The Stone Age // Sam Fender or Wolf Alice // Anderson .Paak // Supergrass

Saturday: Pet Shop Boys // AJ Tracey // Aitch // Anne-Marie

Sunday: Dua Lipa // Haim or Robyn // Glass Animals // Blossoms & Rick Astley

Haim will 100% be on the Pyramid. I very much hope Robyn is back. 

16 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

We need a fourth day.

Agreed.  Just wrote out a prediction and then I kept looking and going… ermm, what about them, oh what about them and so on!! Deleted it all.

Just a couple of points (not in relation to your comments). agreed that HAIM will be on the pyramid.  Had a high position last time, seemingly have arranged their tour around it again plus played the other last 2 times (I think).

Talk of Sam Fender headlining R&L would be mad considering he’s supporting the killers on their tour. (Very happy about that as it solves a clash)