Stage Predictions 2022: For real this time

dentalplan

2 hours ago, gfa said:

Saw him at Reading and loved him, won tickets to his ally pally show and loved that too. He's incredibly charismatic, would definitely say I am a fan and so are the 10,000 others there. He is definitely bigger up North but the divide isn't on the scale of Courteeners in my opinion. He's already outselling them down here show wise and has been for a while. I think i saw him at Community in 2018 and it was rammed at 3pm for him

It's just a shame for the southerners than they got a better set up north.

27 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Any addition to Aerosmith's run could be the canary in the coalmine for this Saturday/Sunday conundrum.

As it happens, they're at the O2 on Wednesday 22nd and in Manchester on Tuesday 28th. So it really could be any of the three days.

Gut check says dad rock has moved to Sunday, but Aerosmith stay on Saturday. Double legend slot in effect.

Yeah, feel the same. Not sure about the Kendrick sub but maybe like this…

Sat: Aerosmith - Elbow - Royal Blood - Kendrick

Sun: Crowded House - Diana Ross - Haim - Noel - Macca

Edited by Pastor.Of.Muppets

38 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Dua with a gig on the Thursday of Glasto weekend is big big big news.

I reckon that as good as locks up our Other headliners — unless she’s subbing Macca/Kendrick, in which case: Tyler, come on.

I think Tyler will be at Lovebox or Parklife again.

Dua is pretty much a lock and has been for a while. They’ve done very well getting her back despite her current rise to global superstardom. 

2 hours ago, Ddiamondd said:

3rd from top Friday, or yeah, what Mr Jass said.

I feel like my excitement for the lineup has grown again - mainly because now it feels like we are going to get a lineup that will look fresh (staging wise) and probably take into account that many artists have grown since they were booked in 2020.

6 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

Dua has the best team in the business - she's not really established herself as a live or touring force yet so accepting Other headliner on an off cycle year, and then Pyramid headliner in a couple of years time after her next album, is a really nice move.

I think it’s more that she/her team just wants to play and is giving Glastonbury special treatment. 

51 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I think Tyler will be at Lovebox or Parklife again.

Dua is pretty much a lock and has been for a while. They’ve done very well getting her back despite her current rise to global superstardom. 

I feel like my excitement for the lineup has grown again - mainly because now it feels like we are going to get a lineup that will look fresh (staging wise) and probably take into account that many artists have grown since they were booked in 2020.

Who do you think is bigger out of Billie and Dua?

I genuinely haven’t a clue, but would have presumed they were fairly level?! 

6 minutes ago, nikkic said:

By online metrics and my own vibes, I think it’s pretty tight globally, but Billie bigger in the US and Dua bigger in the UK.

Future Nostalgia, although massive everywhere, didn’t make as big of an impact in the US as Billie’s first album.

Future Nostalgia was no1 in the UK for 4 weeks, Billie’s album jsut 1 week so far (I think). 

Billie has more Instagram followers, Dua has more monthly Spotify listeners, both have or feature on multiple Spotify tracks with over 1 billion listens.

Dua just doesn't have the live experience or touring reputation Billie does, which is the biggest differential at the moment (and something her team seems to be aware of given the amount of festivals she's doing next year). Her endlessly-delayed arena tour still has nosebleeds left last time I looked, and that's after being on sale since the start of the pandemic and having one of the biggest pop girl album campaigns in living memory.

She'll get a huge crowd, but I think it's super sensible to have not done the quick jump to Pyramid headliner just yet. It'll be a real megastar moment when she does it.

1 hour ago, nikkic said:

Touring force - Billie

Radio force - Dua

Streaming force - Dua marginally. 

It’s quite difficult but I don’t think Dua has taken the direction of marketing herself as a soon to be stadium act… which Billie definitely has. Billie has a little bit of the Taylor Swift effect in that even though they might not be the easiest chart toppers their fans buy tickets to their shows and pay for VIP packages. I can’t quite explain why it’s this way but I will probably say that Taylor/Billie have loyal fan bases whereas Dua is still “for everyone”. Her fan base is just the general public.

Edited by Matt42

1 hour ago, jannybruck said:

Dua just doesn't have the live experience or touring reputation Billie does, which is the biggest differential at the moment (and something her team seems to be aware of given the amount of festivals she's doing next year). Her endlessly-delayed arena tour still has nosebleeds left last time I looked, and that's after being on sale since the start of the pandemic and having one of the biggest pop girl album campaigns in living memory.

She'll get a huge crowd, but I think it's super sensible to have not done the quick jump to Pyramid headliner just yet. It'll be a real megastar moment when she does it.

I said it in another thread but Dua’s tour just looked to be the type that was going to sell out when gig dates came up on the calendar. If she had those O2 dates next week the remaining tickets would get picked up in the next few days. And considering the original timing of the tour with the album release In 2020, those dates def wouldve gotten a push when Future Nostalgia came out anyway. Here in the u.s they played it smart with having a good group of opening acts which make it more attractive to want to go and buy tickets from the get go. And its the same situation, upper level seats are available, but most likely will sell when the time comes.

41 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

I said it in another thread but Dua’s tour just looked to be the type that was going to sell out when gig dates came up on the calendar. If she had those O2 dates next week the remaining tickets would get picked up in the next few days. And considering the original timing of the tour with the album release In 2020, those dates def wouldve gotten a push when Future Nostalgia came out anyway. Here in the u.s they played it smart with having a good group of opening acts which make it more attractive to want to go and buy tickets from the get go. And its the same situation, upper level seats are available, but most likely will sell when the time comes.

Well, I was comparing to Billie who basically sold out UK arenas in seconds. One has a much more fervent fanbase than the other, and a lot of it's down to touring buzz. Dua is extremely popular but at least in the UK it's not been the hot ticket that it could've been - and that's nothing against her as an artist because she's amazing - it's just her team has concentrated on different things. Anyway, I have no doubt she'll be amazing both on the Other and in a Pyramid slot when the time comes though.

3 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Yeah but Dua drew some gentle mocking for being stiff as a dancer and having very little stage presence as she went up through the levels back then (though the visuals/design were ace). She's visibly upped her game as a performer but had no chance to prove it to crowds crowds, just award shows and her own lockdown livestreams.

Billie had whole opposing stages stopped for her at fests in 2019, and is currently out playing to kazillions in the States. It's not shade to say Dua's not known for being a live phenomenon or a stadium draw yet. Quirk of timing — the pandemic stalled her rhythm.

She will get probably the biggest Other crowd in living memory and then make the leap to Pyramid on album 3, it's calm.

The dance is still 100% the first thing I associate with her haha

8 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Billie had whole opposing stages stopped for her at fests in 2019, and is currently out playing to kazillions in the States. It's not shade to say Dua's not known for being a live phenomenon or a stadium draw yet. Quirk of timing — the pandemic stalled her rhythm.

Very much so but it's very much clear now that the current tour will happen considering others since that have rocketed out.

45 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

Well, I was comparing to Billie who basically sold out UK arenas in seconds. One has a much more fervent fanbase than the other, and a lot of it's down to touring buzz. Dua is extremely popular but at least in the UK it's not been the hot ticket that it could've been - and that's nothing against her as an artist because she's amazing - it's just her team has concentrated on different things. Anyway, I have no doubt she'll be amazing both on the Other and in a Pyramid slot when the time comes though.

Well Dua was doing everything the more traditional route as it was. She didnt have a breakthrough Soundcloud song and getting lots of buzz you likely never saw 5 years ago. Was she getting a feverish fanbase from the beginning like Billie or Charli? Nope, it was built up and there wasnt this like cult thirst that came when things took off. I dont know how somebody taking their time vs being a big flash in the pan should be measured against each other. Billie got thrown in the deep end to begin with, that wasnt the case for Dua and still isnt. Lorde had the same thing happen and now look at where she is doing an underplay tour, cause all this big stuff wasnt what she even wanted but had to go with it. She wanted to be weird and make her music, but the industry and furthermore the fans wanted differently.

You wanna talk about the industry trying to get all they can out of somebody? That’s Billie. It was obvious with the Grammys last year and this year. Billie probably sweeps all the Grammys again even if there are better choices in those categories. They want to keep the gravy train going and will manipulate all that they can to make sure it doesnt stop til the artist drops.

19 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Yeah but Dua drew some gentle mocking for being stiff as a dancer and having very little stage presence as she went up through the levels back then (though the visuals/design were ace). She's visibly upped her game as a performer but had no chance to prove it to crowds crowds, just award shows and her own lockdown livestreams.

She will get probably the biggest Other crowd in living memory and then make the leap to Pyramid on album 3, it's calm.

Billie only played at 1 of the Big 4, so crowds arent what you think they are.  Below is the cap for the fests she was at this last month. Lolla, Bonnaroo, Coachella and Outside Lands all have higher capacities than ACL does fyi. And she is done with dates til next year now.

Life Is Beautiful - 45,000

Firefly - 55,000

Governors Ball  - 50,000

Austin City Limits - 75,000

2 hours ago, maelzoid said:

Are we still sure QOTSA are happening? Josh Homme being a child abuser and all...?

At this point we haven't got a clue what's true and what's not in that messy custody battle.

What we do know is the Glastonbury generally doesn't dismiss bands based on their personal behaviour.

If the band were to just bin next summer's tour instead then yeah they won't be there, but we can't predict that. We just have the rumour we were given alongside the Billie Eilish rumour.