Stage Predictions 2022: For real this time

dentalplan

7 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

She was announced for Way Out West wasn’t she? I wouldn’t be surprised if she ended up just coming back the following year or two with a new album as you say but it does seem like she might be around.

I guess but Way Out West is local to her, and she's a headliner there so it might be different.

She was down to play Parklife in 2020 but isn't on the bill for 2021 so I'm not convinced she's rolling over all of her slots.

2 hours ago, Ddiamondd said:

This would be fantastic for me.

I reckon some positions on the Other are a little jumbled. Yungblud is way bigger than that, Anne Marie is way smaller, and I reckon Jorja would sub AJ's headline slot, rather than the other way round.

I also think Disclosure aren't headliners anymore. Last album flopped and Bicep are a bigger draw within dance music right now — not that they'll be topping Other either per se, but I wouldn't put it past them in 2023/4.

Supergrass are playing in London over the summer so I see no reason they would forfeit that nostalgia booking for 2022. Feels more likely to have Supergrass > Wolf Alice on Friday rather than Wolf Alice > Disclosure.

Bombay Bicycle Club in the JP is a sharp shout. Can see that clear as the light of day. Nice one overall.

Bombay won’t be there. I asked them if they were booked for 2020 and they said no. I said hopefully see you again soon and they said “doubt it”.

Dunno any more than that. Something to do with the last time they played.

Idk about judging lordes last touring effort as an indication of her next cycle. Pure Heroine and Melodrama have become incredibly successful records with cult followings. She’s very much the Robyn of this generation, yet almost close to Frank Ocean in terms of hype towards her next release.’

She’s gone down the Radiohead / Adele mysticism of waiting 5+ years between albums and really making people hungry for her next release. Yes it’s very much a hype booking, but I think she’s reached that stage now where she’s a trendy booking which would do very well in an XX pyramid sub spot position.  

It’s the “she’s going to release this record, play some shows and disappear again for 5+ years” factor which does lend more hype to her booking. 

Edited by Matt42

On 5/30/2021 at 12:13 PM, dentalplan said:

Py: Kendrick Lamar, Queens of the Stone Age, Lorde, Michael Kiwanuka, Crowded House, Young Fathers
OS
: Disclosure, Wolf Alice, Sam Fender, Fontaines D.C., King Gizzard &tLW, Years & Years, Beabadoobee, Yungblud, Happy Mondays
WH: Isley Brothers, Brittany Howard, Khruangbin, Danny Brown
JP: London Grammar, Sigrid, Jesus and Mary Chain, Django Django, Sports Team, KSI, Griff
Pa: Manic Street Preachers, Big Thief, The Smile, Girl in Red, Sampa the Great, The Orielles

Py: Paul McCartney, Haim, Aerosmith, Kacey Musgraves, Mabel, Herbie Hancock, Kae Tempest
OS: Jorja Smith, AJ Tracey, Run the Jewels, Little Simz, Metronomy, Pale Waves, Anna Calvi, Nadine Shah, Dream Wife
WH: Bicep, Headie One, Kelis, Les Amazones d'Afrique
JP: Charli XCX, Glass Animals, Jessie Ware, Pa Salieu, Jehnny Beth, Ashnikko, Biig Piig, Dry Cleaning
Pa: Caribou, Leon Bridges, Rina Sawayama, Romy, Squid, Confidence Man

Py: Taylor Swift, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, The Specials, Diana Ross, Arlo Parks, Candi Staton
OS: Pet Shop Boys, Anne Marie, Idles, Anderson Paak, Blossoms, Courtney Barnett, Sea Girls, Rolling Blackouts CF, Nothing But Thieves
WH: Kano, TLC, Roisin Murphy, Snarky Puppy
JP: Bombay Bicycle Club, FKA twigs, Sleaford Mods, Clairo, Inhaler, Holly Humberstone, The Big Moon
Pa: Phoebe Bridgers, Laura Marling, Shame, EOB, Japanese Breakfast

Honestly think I'd be at the Pyramid all day and all night if that was the Friday lineup ❤️ 

On 5/30/2021 at 12:13 PM, dentalplan said:

Py: Kendrick Lamar, Queens of the Stone Age, Lorde, Michael Kiwanuka, Crowded House, Young Fathers
OS: Disclosure, Wolf Alice, Sam Fender, Fontaines D.C., King Gizzard &tLW, Years & Years, Beabadoobee, Yungblud, Happy Mondays
WH: Isley Brothers, Brittany Howard, Khruangbin, Danny Brown
JP: London Grammar, Sigrid, Jesus and Mary Chain, Django Django, Sports Team, KSI, Griff
Pa: Manic Street Preachers, Big Thief, The Smile, Girl in Red, Sampa the Great, The Orielles

Py: Paul McCartney, Haim, Aerosmith, Kacey Musgraves, Mabel, Herbie Hancock, Kae Tempest
OS: Jorja Smith, AJ Tracey, Run the Jewels, Little Simz, Metronomy, Pale Waves, Anna Calvi, Nadine Shah, Dream Wife
WH: Bicep, Headie One, Kelis, Les Amazones d'Afrique
JP: Charli XCX, Glass Animals, Jessie Ware, Pa Salieu, Jehnny Beth, Ashnikko, Biig Piig, Dry Cleaning
Pa: Caribou, Leon Bridges, Rina Sawayama, Romy, Squid, Confidence Man

Py: Taylor Swift, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, The Specials, Diana Ross, Arlo Parks, Candi Staton
OS: Pet Shop Boys, Anne Marie, Idles, Anderson Paak, Blossoms, Courtney Barnett, Sea Girls, Rolling Blackouts CF, Nothing But Thieves
WH: Kano, TLC, Roisin Murphy, Snarky Puppy
JP: Bombay Bicycle Club, FKA twigs, Sleaford Mods, Clairo, Inhaler, Holly Humberstone, The Big Moon
Pa: Phoebe Bridgers, Laura Marling, Shame, EOB, Japanese Breakfast

I vote for this one

Laid dental's Friday against last year's clashfinder just to see whether it was possble to leg it back and forth between Pyramid and Other all day, but sadly it does not seem to be possible. Would be able to squeeze a bit of Fontaines in between Kiwanuka and Lorde but that's about it.

57 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Increasingly convinced Wolf Alice are making the leap next year. Other headliners seems most likely, if not top 3 Pyramid.

New album has serious reviews (wall-to-wall 5 stars), clearly Emily rates them, they were excellent on the stream and it would count as a female headliner of sorts.

They had a dip period but are roaring back. Can't see any real impediment to it, especially as we seem less certain on who fills the Other slots than we did.

I agree I think the new album is great. It was that second album that made me unsure too (not that it was bad, it just didn’t get a lot of hype I think), but yeah they are back on form.

Edited by Matt42

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

Didn’t get a lot of hype???

It won the Mercury Prize!

Maybe just me but I felt like their debut was absolutely massive and I couldn’t escape it. They fell off my radar a bit and I was unaware they’d even released an album.

Probably just me.

Just now, kingcrawler said:

I’m currently thinking a Wolf Alice, Jorja Smith, Pet Shop Boys trio for Other stage headliners. Would be quite a bold set of headliners but I think it would work well, especially against 2020’s Pyramid headliners. 

Well good that. Competitive too.

6 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Maybe just me but I felt like their debut was absolutely massive and I couldn’t escape it. They fell off my radar a bit and I was unaware they’d even released an album.

Probably just me.

Nah it did feel a bit of a comedown for them. It was a great record, but just didn’t capture the attention as much I don’t think.

Personally I think they’re nailed on for the Other next year. 

57 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

If they’re given a major slot I think it’s Pyramid sub and not Other headline. Still think it’ll be Other sub for ‘em - it’s still a step up.

They won't be given Pyramid sub. They might get 3rd down Pyramid. I think we have enough Pyramid subs that would get the nod first.

Yeah I can’t see them getting pyramid sub. Third down would work better. 

I think an other stage headline would work well. Against Kendrick I think they would have a pretty good crowd.

Edited by Matt42

20 minutes ago, circus92 said:

Agreed - that would be a great Friday night line up.  I know where I would be

Honestly don't know who I'd see out of the two.

I think maybe Kendrick as it would be the first Pyramid headliner back, so could be absolutely massive. Would be a tough choice though! 

23 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Kendrick on the Pyramid,

Wolf Alice on the Other,

Fatboy Slim on the JP,

Manics up in the Park,

Isley Bros on WH.

Something for everyone.

Yum. Kendrick for me but really nice and balanced.

Needs to be one bullshit clash in there though because it’s the big G

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Kendrick on the Pyramid,

Wolf Alice on the Other,

Fatboy Slim on the JP,

Manics up in the Park,

Isley Bros on WH.

Something for everyone.

I'd try and be at The Park, JP and Other lol.

I still think they'll honour Fatboy Slim on Other purely due to his service the festival.