Stage Predictions 2022: For real this time

dentalplan

15 hours ago, Superscally said:

You'd have to be on yer fucking toes to make that QOTSA Phoebe doublet.

Nah Park headliners always start a bit later on a Friday and Saturday, I could have a leisurely stroll up there!

2 hours ago, Ddiamondd said:

Early punt: AJ Tracey will be headlining the Other or a potential Pyramid sub.

New album out next week and he's already on a run of hits only really matched by 2009-12 era Dizzee. Sold out two nights at Ally Pally in minutes.

He's absolutely enormous, and maybe just enough outside of this forum's purview that it's going under the radar. One to watch for mind.

You probably know more about him than me but yeah, Other headliner doesn’t seem unrealistic. I figured a move up to the Pyramid was a slight bump but you could easily swap him in for Disclosure, who I mainly included for a lack of obvious alternatives.

47 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

1236840 (1).jpg

It wouldn’t be Glastonbury without five way clashes on Friday night and a slightly leaner, but still good, Sunday night.

45 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

It wouldn’t be Glastonbury without five way clashes on Friday night and a slightly leaner, but still good, Sunday night.

Were this to be the real thing I’d find myself in the unusual position of having a relatively serene Friday (already decided I’m seeing Kendrick if he plays, regardless of what’s on elsewhere) and an utterly stacked Sunday.

On 3/4/2021 at 10:16 AM, maelzoid said:

Do people still not think Aerosmith are big enough to headline? Sure, I can see them taking a lower spot below Macca, but they're hardly an Arctic Monkeys support band are they?

I think they certainly are big enough to headline - they’re not a band that would normally accept lower slots. I believe they agreed to this because of Macca, and their presence in 2022 makes me think Macca will be back on the bill too. Can’t see them being just another act playing below Arctic Monkeys. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sisco said:

Other Stage Headers on Jools Holland right now

This is brilliant. I’ve been a fan for a while, but I think they get better with every release, which is such a joy. Looking forward to the new album, and seeing them live soon.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, henry bear said:

I think they certainly are big enough to headline - they’re not a band that would normally accept lower slots. I believe they agreed to this because of Macca, and their presence in 2022 makes me think Macca will be back on the bill too. Can’t see them being just another act playing below Arctic Monkeys. 

Yeah this is exactly what I thought when they leaked themselves as playing again. Always had a slight inkling that them and Macca were kind of a package deal, or at least that they’d be far less inclined to do it if Macca wasn’t topping the bill that day. 

On 3/5/2021 at 12:31 PM, henry bear said:

They've routed their UK tour around a Glastonbury performance three times now. They're clearly not getting Paul McCartney's green light every time - they're just doing Glastonbury because it's a big thing that they want to do. 

Besides, it's not a lower slot they're doing out of honour. It's a secret set, despite the best efforts of their communications team. Doesn't really matter who it's before.

There's not actually anything to it being anything to do with Paul McCartney and I suspect that they were agreed a long time before. We heard there was a huge act for the 2020 'rock slot' in April 2019 and it's unlike McCartney to agree to anything that long-range.

Aerosmith will take a slightly bigger fee and I'd imagine the longest set of an act in that position thus far. They know themselves that they wouldn't be asked to headline now but my thinking is some other heritage acts that have agreed to it has made them feel the need not to regret it and jump on.

• 2 months later...

Been thinking this weekend. Expecting some fiery replies!

Pyramid: Kendrick Lamar, Billie Eilish, Taylor Swift

Other: Fatboy Slim, Wolf Alice, Pet Shop Boys

West Holts: The Smile, Bicep, Kano

Park: The Flaming Lips, Manic Street Preachers, London Grammar.

John Peel: Editors, Primal Scream, Glass Animals

Legend: Diana Ross (obviously)

Pyramid subs: Lana Del Rey, HAIM, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds.

Other subs: Supergrass, Idles, Robyn

and the big elephant in the room...
Dua Lipa not returning, instead being offered a headline slot for 2023. Alongside Paul McCartney and Dave 🙂 

8 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

and the big elephant in the room...
Dua Lipa not returning, instead being offered a headline slot for 2023. Alongside Paul McCartney and Dave 🙂 

Why would McCartney say no to 2022 but yes to ‘23? He’s not getting any younger, and if he’s still game then it’s definitely gonna be next year. Makes no sense to hold it off a year. 

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

Why would McCartney say no to 2022 but yes to ‘23? He’s not getting any younger, and if he’s still game then it’s definitely gonna be next year. Makes no sense to hold it off a year. 

I’m not saying he’s agreed to 2023, what I mean is they try for him again in 2023.

I think there will be more of an emphasis on booking women to headline stages than that. They seemed to be going for this in 2020, West Holts was the only main stage without a woman headlining one night and we heard that they had tried to book Chaka Khan, so I’m expecting the same thing again next year. I don’t think Fatboy Slim will be back as an Other stage headliner next year and I don’t think the Flaming Lips will be back so soon either. 

I agree on Dua Lipa though, not expecting her at all next year as she seems better off waiting a year of two and headlining the Pyramid.

36 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Why would he say no to 22?

I will just be honest this time and try and word it so there isn’t confusion.

To me, Billie’s dates look surefire for glasto. We’ve analysed touring patterns on this forum for years and we know when to spot a suspicious Glastonbury shaped hole. It’s not like her 2020 dates where she was in the UK 2/3 weeks after the festival, she’s in Europe at the time and cleared her calendar for the weekend.

I was of the mind that if any artist wouldn’t reschedule it would be Kendrick. However he happily rolled over and announced some of his euro festival dates for 2021. He’s not doing any US festivals later this year (that we know of), so it looks to me like he’s doing what he did this year and just pushing everything back to 2022. It makes no sense to me for him to not be up for Glastonbury in 2022.

Taylor has taken a similar approach to Macca in pulling all of her dates and not rolling over anything (or outright committing to any). However, she has mentioned a few times now that Glastonbury is something she thinks highly of, and I just get this hunch she’s absolutely raring to headline it. Is she going to sit back and not tour after releasing two of her most critically acclaimed albums and re-releases?

Unless Billie’s dates are a total red herring, I think someone is a weak link, and my view is that the weak link is Macca. Perfectly fine if you disagree.

My hypothetical theory is maybe his team want us to be fully out of the pandemic before they start doing shows again, and this means Glastonbury will have to wait a long time before they know whether he’s up for it. Perhaps, strategically, it’s easier for them to pencil him in as a target for 2023 when it’s more likely things will be back to completely normal?

Billie steps in because they may have been speaking to her about 2022 anyway.

If rumours about 2019 are true and he was meant to headline then, surely that adds weight to to the theory that he’s not the easiest act to book? And the festival could wait right up till March/April 2022 for an answer and that answer could be no? Turning down other contenders in the process...

Edited by Matt42

Somebody pointed out that the last time an act headlined who also had a slew of arena dates immediately beforehand or surrounding Glastonbury was R.E.M.* (can’t remember if it was ‘99 or ‘03) so although Billie’s dates do leave a convenient Glastonbury shaped hole, she would be a big outlier in being booked when she already has so many close proximity arena dates of her own. 

* I’ve not checked up on this so maybe it’s incorrect, but it certainly seems like a couple of stadium dates and/or BST is the usual go-to for headlining Glastonbury rather than a full tour.

5 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Somebody pointed out that the last time an act headlined who also had a slew of arena dates immediately beforehand or surrounding Glastonbury was R.E.M.* (can’t remember if it was ‘99 or ‘03) so although Billie’s dates do leave a convenient Glastonbury shaped hole, she would be a big outlier in being booked when she already has so many close proximity arena dates of her own. 

* I’ve not checked up on this so maybe it’s incorrect, but it certainly seems like a couple of stadium dates and/or BST is the usual go-to for headlining Glastonbury rather than a full tour.

Whilst this is an interesting point I think 2022 is an abnormal year. Plenty of acts are making up for lost time. There will be a lot of people who had tickets to her cancelled tour that will be desperate to see her again. I don’t think it would be the right approach from her team to ignore the fact that she sold out like 5 nights at the O2? (Don’t know the actual figure).

In a normal year you are right, I think acts would space out festivals and their own shows. 

Edited by Matt42

13 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Neither really. In 99 they did two nights at Earls Court beforehand and in 03 two nights at Brixton Academy.

Not enjoying the lack of faith in Lana coming back. I’m going to hold onto that one in denial right up until it’s declared!

22 minutes ago, sameimpala said:

EB7AF240-915A-4634-AB8E-BA4021B51192.jpeg

Whilst I’d take it there are some bookings which are probably quite low compared to what they’d probably get.

As much as I’d love her there I’m not too sure Glasto can get Doja Cat. She’d want a pretty big slot.

There are a few acts missing that are pretty likely to come back - Manics headlining Park, London Grammar etc.

Diana into HAIM into Lorde into Taylor would kill me - but it feels too catered and I think Glasto like to switch it up a bit.

On the other side of switching it up though, poor Nick in between Wolf Alice and Billie.

4 hours ago, kingcrawler said:

I think there will be more of an emphasis on booking women to headline stages than that. They seemed to be going for this in 2020, West Holts was the only main stage without a woman headlining one night and we heard that they had tried to book Chaka Khan, so I’m expecting the same thing again next year. I don’t think Fatboy Slim will be back as an Other stage headliner next year and I don’t think the Flaming Lips will be back so soon either. 

I agree on Dua Lipa though, not expecting her at all next year as she seems better off waiting a year of two and headlining the Pyramid.

I tried to have at least one female headliner per stage, but they didn’t really do this in 2020 so I don’t think it’s a target.

I don’t think it’s confirmed whether JP had a female headliner either. Mixed messages on whether it was Charli or Primal Scream closing the tent on the Saturday. I think Jesus & Mary Chain were closing it on Sunday too so FKA Twigs was subbing.

Edited by Matt42

6 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I tried to have at least one female headliner per stage, but they didn’t really do this in 2020 so I don’t think it’s a target.

I don’t think it’s confirmed whether JP had a female headliner either. Mixed messages on whether it was Charli or Primal Scream closing the tent on the Saturday. I think Jesus & Mary Chain were closing it on Sunday too so FKA Twigs was subbing.

I’m sure Neil had info that Charli XCX was headlining JP, we all just assumed Saturday and ran with that but we never had a day confirmed. I don’t think Jesus & Mary Chain would have headlined it but it’s a fair point that we never had confirmed headliners for it.