Happy Burns Night

Punksnotdead

I've just recalled a Scottish band that I haven't heard in years. There name was Runrig. I seem to remember watching a documentary on them. They had very devout fans, going by the documentary which I seem to remember. 

However, music wise, this is my contribution to this thread this evening;

I should have eaten some Haggis this evening. I have no connection with Scotland and seem to not be able to tolerate any poetry other than that of my wife's, so no connection there either. However, for many a year now I have bought and eaten haggis on Burn's Night. Unfortunately life conspired against that happening this evening. 

As a slight aside, I did one year look into having a Burns Night at my house (old house). Every course and every drink was going to be Scottish produced. I can't recall why it never went ahead now. However, having that type of a bash on Burns Night is still very much on a list of things that I really ought to get around to doing.

Anyway, time to go 'mad wae it' I reckon.

In the evening of Burns Night last year I strolled around the city centre of Edinburgh where Burns & Beyond events were going on at various sites.

KT Tunstall played a 30-minute set x four times with intermissions between them, and I saw three of them. Setlists varied but she always finished it with Suddenly I See. One of the few live performances I managed last year. How the world has changed...sigh.

15 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Runrig

Think they disbanded a few years ago. A political  mix. Their singer Donnie Munro was a strong labour supporter and left, to be replaced by a Canadian.  a few others were unsurprisingly, nationalists.  The keyboard player, a guy called Wishart is now an MP. I’m Sure they played Glastonbury several times. Not a fan of them but as you say they had a big following. 

3 hours ago, metallimuse said:

Had ma haggis last night but sadly no dram to go with it as I'm on the Dry January bandwagon. Wasn't quite the same sadly. All the money saved on dry Jan will be going on a nice bottle of whisky though to make up for it 🤭

I used to drink whisky - at least a bottle a night on a school night at work. Jesus! That's all I have to say on the matter.

Talking of such drinks, you have to admire the Irish for putting an e in their whiskey!  I'll get me coat.

2 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Think they disbanded a few years ago. A political  mix. Their singer Donnie Munro was a strong labour supporter and left, to be replaced by a Canadian.  a few others were unsurprisingly, nationalists.  The keyboard player, a guy called Wishart is now an MP. I’m Sure they played Glastonbury several times. Not a fan of them but as you say they had a big following. 

I do love a bit of Runrig. Saw them at Edinburgh Castle many years ago

On 1/25/2021 at 8:06 PM, dondo said:

What Swedge said

We had a McSweens one

https://www.macsween.co.uk/products/delicious-every-day-vegetarian/

Quite a few people I know who aren't vegetarian say they prefer this over the meat one

Non vegetarian Scot, and confirm I prefer veggie version of haggis. Unfortunately my girlfriend doesn't like haggis at all so didn't get any for Burns night

On 1/25/2021 at 11:50 PM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I've just recalled a Scottish band that I haven't heard in years. There name was Runrig. I seem to remember watching a documentary on them. They had very devout fans, going by the documentary which I seem to remember. 

However, music wise, this is my contribution to this thread this evening;

I should have eaten some Haggis this evening. I have no connection with Scotland and seem to not be able to tolerate any poetry other than that of my wife's, so no connection there either. However, for many a year now I have bought and eaten haggis on Burn's Night. Unfortunately life conspired against that happening this evening. 

As a slight aside, I did one year look into having a Burns Night at my house (old house). Every course and every drink was going to be Scottish produced. I can't recall why it never went ahead now. However, having that type of a bash on Burns Night is still very much on a list of things that I really ought to get around to doing.

Anyway, time to go 'mad wae it' I reckon.

That song is sung by Hibs fans quite a bit. My mate stayed up all night learning lyrics to Sunshine on Leith before going to see Hibs in a cup final. Think Hibs got beat about 7-0 and the fans never sang it once. He was quite pissed off.

Regarding Runrig, pretty much every wedding reception in Scotland ends with one of their songs and everyone making a ring around the married couple holding hands. It's a cheesy cliched thing, but I always enjoy it. Technically I can say I'm a recorded artist as they recorded a live version of it at half time at a Scotland match I attended

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, found home in 2009 said:

That song is sung by Hibs fans quite a bit. My mate stayed up all night learning lyrics to Sunshine on Leith before going to see Hibs in a cup final. Think Hibs got beat about 7-0 and the fans never sang it once. He was quite pissed off.

Regarding Runrig, pretty much every wedding reception in Scotland ends with one of their songs and everyone making a ring around the married couple holding hands. It's a cheesy cliched thing, but I always enjoy it. Technically I can say I'm a recorded artist as they recorded a live version of it at half time at a Scotland match I attended

Hello found home in 2009,

I'm not sure if I got that post right. It was their song 'Jean' that I had hoped to portray. In fact, it was that version on the album that I had wanted to post. It is, to me, a very powerful performance. There's no doubt, in my mind, that the track 'I would walk 500 miles' although successful, actually did them no favours. They are an incredible group.

As an aside, but in connection with the above, I once won tickets to the Lechlade Festival and the Proclaimers were highlighting. Anyway, one of the Proclaimers and a few friends rolled up and parked their camper vans next to ours. Then one of their children came screaming over to their parent, as they had ran into some nettles. To cut a long story short, we gave them some anti-histamine ointment that we had in our campervan and they were most grateful - the child even more so, as he stopped screaming shortly after.

I get your 'cheesy' wedding thing, but am with you on this one in that sometimes the time is just right for a bit of cheese.

While I'm talking to you now, it crosses my mind to ask you about your user name, which has intrigued me for some time. Is there a reason for it that you can tell us? No worries if it's not in that category, and you can't. 🙂

2 hours ago, found home in 2009 said:

I'm a Hearts fan who likes the Proclaimers so Sunshine on Leith is a bit of a strange one for me as I think it's a truly fantastic song. 

2 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello found home in 2009,

I'm not sure if I got that post right. It was their song 'Jean' that I had hoped to portray. In fact, it was that version on the album that I had wanted to post. It is, to me, a very powerful performance. There's no doubt, in my mind, that the track 'I would walk 500 miles' although successful, actually did them no favours. They are an incredible group.

As an aside, but in connection with the above, I once won tickets to the Lechlade Festival and the Proclaimers were highlighting. Anyway, one of the Proclaimers and a few friends rolled up and parked their camper vans next to ours. Then one of their children came screaming over to their parent, as they had ran into some nettles. To cut a long story short, we gave them some anti-histamine ointment that we had in our campervan and they were most grateful - the child even more so, as he stopped screaming shortly after.

I get your 'cheesy' wedding thing, but am with you on this one in that sometimes the time is just right for a bit of cheese.

While I'm talking to you now, it crosses my mind to ask you about your user name, which has intrigued me for some time. Is there a reason for it that you can tell us? No worries if it's not in that category, and you can't. 🙂

I'm afraid there isn't a particularly exciting reason behind my username. 2009 is the first year I went to Glastonbury and I absolutely loved it. Used to go to T in the Park before, but once I'd been to Glastonbury there was only one festival I ever wanted to go to and when I go through those gates it feels like coming back home, hence the username.

Must admit I mainly knew proclaimers for 500 miles (another song you hear a lot at Scottish weddings) and remember being pleasantly surprised watching footage of one of their sets at a festival on the BBC and discovering they had loads of great songs I'd never really heard before.

Just realised that you did post a video of Oh Jean, but the still image for the video was the cover of the album the song was on, which was Sunshine on Leith. And when I read the text I just thought of the song rather than the album.

Edited by found home in 2009
Edit: add bit about Jean/Sunshine on Leith