Lockdown... cons and pros

Tranquility of Solitude

Had to give this some thought as I think a lot of the pros and cons are pretty common to a lot of us. So I'm just sticking to a couple of unexpected pros.

My parents have learned how to use video calling on FB Messenger and WhatsApp, which is amazing.  Pre-covid we'd talk regularly but didn't get up to see them as often as would like / should. Lockdown's forced them into working this stuff out, so although it's over phone we actually see each other's faces far more than we used to. And they're now on weekly quiz vid calls with a  load of the extended family as well.

Early on last year a group of old friends set up a weekly poker game on a Friday night using an app and a conference call.  Every single week. And as a result I've reconnected with my friends, talked to them more in 12 months than in 12 years. It's been an absolute blast.

Honestly can’t think of any real pros. Recently retired so was looking forward to so much, festivals, gigs. Holidays, camping breaks, time with grandkids.  I suppose only pro is that we live in an area where I can go walking, can’t leave the local are of course!

5310B26F-70C0-464F-A752-7358685937B8.thumb.jpeg.032e062ac0caf6e5514b7818b2aaf2c2.jpeg

Edited by Ayrshire Chris

On 1/26/2021 at 12:37 PM, Gnomicide said:

Driving. Weird one, wouldn't have thought I'd miss it but I do. Bought a new (to me) car last September. Now I just look at it out the window and move it once a week to put the bins out.

Same.

I replaced a 10 year old VW Golf with one that is 3 years old last June.  The new one had done 26,500 on the clock when I bought it.  It only tipped over the 30,000 mark last weekend, and 700 of that was when we went on holiday to Cornwall in September!

This one one has a lot of fancy stuff the old one didn't and I don't feel I've had much opportunity to really use it.

I also always fill up with petrol on payday, when I did that on Thursday just gone it cost me £23.96....its usually a lot higher!

Edited by gooner1990

Pro. Emigrated in July to a country with considerably less restrictions on what we can or can’t do. Summer was almost normal, spent lots of time in outdoor bars and restaurants, even managed a holiday in October.

cons. EU and Luxembourg vaccine rollout is a joke. With Heavy restrictions in Belgium, Germany and France being stuck in a country 2/3 the size of Somerset is starting to feel very claustrophobic. Even though we aren’t in lockdown it feels like we are. Didn’t see my parents at Xmas as we decided not to travel back to the UK.

Edited by Smeble

Working in a hospital life has pretty much carried on as normal.  While my wife works from home and is climbing the walls I am getting up going to work and coming home to watch TV like normal.

CONS

missing Gigs/shows

missing weekend pub lunches

missing pissed evenings with friends and family

having to do shit Zoom dinks with friends and family

PROS

traffic is lovely driving to work (although beginning to get back to normal)

had a good excuse not to visit family and friends