Lockdown... cons and pros

Tranquility of Solitude

Plus side is getting to spend so much time with my kids. Got a 3 year old and 1 year old. The one year old has spent most his life in lockdown so I’ve so much time with him. On the flip side to this he’s missed out on meeting other people. When we were allowed to mingle a bit he was do scared of anyone new

Miss Most:

Playing the drums. I used to buzz of what snare and cymbals I was going to take to band practice.

The new craft ale bars in my village. I'm not a massive drinker but random pints with friends and/or wife was great.

The office. I changed jobs during the first lockdown and eight months into my new job and I haven't met my colleagues other than brief zoom meetings, which I hate.

Bonuses:

Saving money and then blowing it on the worlds most expensive hobby, Fuji cameras and lenses!

I've decided to clean my fishing tackle up and I have joined a syndicate, carp head is back on.

Helping people in the village and getting to know certain people better.

Other than that, it's a bag of shit.

Miss most:

Travel (was on my "gap year" when this all kicked off, I know I can't complain because part of a gap year is more than most people get, but still).

Festivals/gigs.

Going out for a meal or a drink.

Bonuses:

Bosses have realised that people don't have to be in the office, so should be able to WFH at least part of the time once this is over.

Saving money - planning to buy a house which will happen sooner if I spend all my travel and festival money on it.

Virtual pub nights mean I can see non-local friends, not just ones who live nearby.

Pros -

I should be saving but instead I am finding my vinyl collection is growing at a rapid rate. 

When all of this is over I should be able to live a bit more cheaply as I have about 15 gigs I have already paid for that will be re-scheduled

Much more on top of new music

Have re discovered my love of reading

Have finally watched loads of tv shows that people told me I must see

Cons

Unlkely to see my brother before he dies

Losing my fitness (one of my dogs won't go for walks  as she is poorly and most places are so busy that I've gone from averaging about 20k steps a day to lucky if I do 6-8k)

Feels like work is all consuming 

With my dogs illness on top of lockdown meaning where we can walk etc is even more limited it does feel like I have no control over anything any more and I miss just being able to get up and decide where we walk. 

I never thought I'd say it but I miss the gym! 

Never getting to eat a meal without 2 pairs of dog eyes scrounging

Cons

Not being able to go for a pint or a meal or just about anything really.

Being forced to close, being forced to rely on government handouts and still losing money every month.

The never ending nothingness of life in lockdown and on furlough.

The constant existential terror.

Pros

Got a few big DIY jobs done and the garden's looking good.

Time to play Red Dead Redemption 2 

Fuck this shit.

20 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

Cons

Not being able to go for a pint or a meal or just about anything really.

Being forced to close, being forced to rely on government handouts and still losing money every month.

The never ending nothingness of life in lockdown and on furlough.

The constant existential terror.

Pros

Got a few big DIY jobs done and the garden's looking good.

Time to play Red Dead Redemption 2 

Fuck this shit.

Here’s hoping for you at least that once the domestic market reopens you will have some very high occupancy levels to enable you to recoup some of that lost money ... as it looks like international travel is going to be difficult for a while yet ....  I was looking at some of the fb photos  of dome house yesterday coincidentally ... looks amazing 🤩 

5 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Here’s hoping for you at least that once the domestic market reopens you will have some very high occupancy levels to enable you to recoup some of that lost money ... as it looks like international travel is going to be difficult for a while yet ....  I was looking at some of the fb photos  of dome house yesterday coincidentally ... looks amazing 🤩 

Thanks, cf.  I'm sure summer will be very busy, but the rumours suggest we probably won't be open until then!  

Pros:

Being at home with the kids, especially my son, who was born at the start of the first lockdown. It’s been great to bond with him and see him grow.

Saved a fortune through not going out, not commuting, not doing much fun...

Cons:

The mental effect - it’s taken quite a heavy toll on my mental health. Had a few depressive episodes in the last year and had to take a month of work last year because of the effects of it all. I live in a flat in SE London and I do often feel couped up in here. As great as it is being around my wife and kids we are on top of each other, and we do get annoyed with each other from time to time.

One of the things I miss the most is just being out on my own. Even commuting in the morning and evening is just time I’m sat on a bus or train on my own with my headphones in not really paying attention to the world. I’m aching to get back to a normal life.

Not being able to see friends and family.

All the fun stuff I had planned for last year and also probably this year getting canned.

I’m a stone heavier than I was this time last year.

12 hours ago, guypjfreak said:

So instead of shaking hands what would you prefer old son .. Bowing,, nothing wrong with a polite friendly handshake unless the person you're shaking hands with trys to show how strong he or she is by crushing your hand... 

I like to just say hello. Unwanted physical contact from relative strangers ? No thanks ! However, a good hug from close friends and family is fine. You don’t tend to shake hands with anyone other than strangers really..... so I don’t see the point.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

I like to just say hello. Unwanted physical contact from relative strangers ? No thanks ! However, a good hug from close friends and family is fine. You don’t tend to shake hands with anyone other than strangers really..... so I don’t see the point.

I'm with you, not a big fan of physical contact with strangers really. I seem to be in the minority in that I don't particularly like to be hugged by randoms at festivals either! I like my personal space.

Have to add to the dishwasher/washing up chat! It is endless. Feel I'm doing more housework in general actually, in part because I'm here all the time to notice it needing done and in part because everything is just in constant use. Same goes for the heating/electric! Bills are going to be pretty big (although we are saving a lot on other things).

I miss...

Gigs/festivals 

Crate digging in record shops/record fair

Nights out

Driving. Weird one, wouldn't have thought I'd miss it but I do. Bought a new (to me) car last September. Now I just look at it out the window and move it once a week to put the bins out.

Bonuses....

Despite what I said about driving, no commute. Saving about £120 per month on fuel.

Fuel saving means I can buy vinyl guilt free.

Miss Most:

Friends, gigs, randomly having a great conversation with strangers 

Being able to just wonder into a bar and restaurant if it looks interesting

Bonus...

Furlough + Lockdown during the first lockdown saved me a lot of money, and gave me valuable free-time to sort my life out. I was free to just work on myself, and it did wonders for my mental health (although now I have sorted myself out I wanna enjoy life dammit!)

Started running, my fitness is getting a lot better

4 minutes ago, DDave said:

Have you claimed the WFH tax relief? easy to do.

https://www.gov.uk/tax-relief-for-employees/working-at-home

Yes I have, and I recommend it to one and all. It took about 5 minutes to do.

I only did this a couple of weeks ago. My tax code changed. I get paid tomorrow and can already see the amount, with about £50 extra in as the year's tax relief backlog has been added. It's only £1.20 a week, but well worth the minuscule effort.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, guypjfreak said:

So instead of shaking hands what would you prefer old son .. Bowing,, nothing wrong with a polite friendly handshake unless the person you're shaking hands with trys to show how strong he or she is by crushing your hand... 

Yeah personally I like the professional and respects aspects of a proper hand shake. While applying for jobs, own thing I was guaranteed to say what that I would shake your hand but for obvious reasons I can't. Same with if I'm training someone or being shown to a job I always put my hand out as a polite gesture.

23 hours ago, guypjfreak said:

Here's our PM Jacinda's alternative, known as the East Coast handshake.

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/pm-demonstrates-east-coast-wave-coronavirus-alternative-handshakes-hongi