We need to talk about The Green Fields

DeanoL

Love how people are knocking an area at the festival which offers an alternative view on life but find themselves putting it out there on the virtual equivalent looking for some kind of vindication.

We’re all different. We all have a place. Unless you spread hate in which case you can do one.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

No one:

No one at all:

Absolutely no living person:

Green Fields:

Q2IAYT1advY8.gif

ah beat me to it 😆

We always spend some time in the GF. It definitely shouldn't be tarred with the brush of the ignorant. But take one look at any of the Glasto facebook groups, and it is obvious there is an anti-vaxx undercurrent finding a niche roughly in that area.

I guess if you are hardline, it's a question of individual freedom - but by not taking the vaccination, you may harm someone else, which is surely also againt the ethos of the festival.

11 hours ago, zero000 said:

Which complementary therapies are NICE recommended? I’m not sure if I know of any off the top of my head. There’s certainly some useful aspects (thinking of yoga and meditation based stuff), but a lot of it isn’t grounded in reality. 

Massage and acupuncture immediately spring to mind. 

9 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

We were always struck by how many chiropractors there were in NZ. They seemed to be in every town, even the smaller ones. Any idea why so many bad backs?!  (Ive avoided sheep related jokes).   Like you we always like a stroll round the healing field, part of the festival experience, was nearly tempted into getting a head massage last time but there was a queue! Glastonbury town is awash with shops selling crystals, dream catchers etc, don’t believe in it but it’s nice to browse, life sometimes doesn’t have to be logical. 

Rugby. 

There's a false dichotomy emerging in this thread: the idea of rigid, intolerant, blinkered science on the one hand and free-spirited, nice, open 'alternative' lifestyles on the other.  A lot of the stalwarts of the Greenfields would be affronted and angered to see themselves characterised in that way - many of them are already in despair over the current scepticism towards experts, science and evidence, particularly when it comes to issues like global warming, biodiversity and the long-term sustainability of modern consumerism.

Science is a method, not a creed.  It has few, if any, rigid lines in the sand - if the data changes, so does scientific 'orthodoxy.'  For example, if homeopathy were any more effective than a placebo, then research would identify that in the data and the scientific consensus would move towards it.  The idea of a scientist stamping round the Greenfields swearing and spitting at all the irrational hippies and spiritualists is just a straw man.  No scientist is going to waste their time telling people that joss-sticks, healing crystals or tarot cards are a waste of time - these are niche things which don't currently do any significant damage to the world.  The current scepticism/ambivalence about things like global warming and the excessive use of pesticides and antibiotics, on the other hand, are hugely important to the planet, and many of the 'hippies' promoting alternative lifestyles in the Greenfields are really just running a grass roots campaign to get people to acknowledge, and act upon, the science.

Edited by Mark E. Spliff
  • Upvote 6

2 hours ago, Mark E. Spliff said:

There's a false dichotomy emerging in this thread: the idea of rigid, intolerant, blinkered science on the one hand and free-spirited, nice, open 'alternative' lifestyles on the other.  A lot of the stalwarts of the Greenfields would be affronted and angered to see themselves characterised in that way - many of them are already in despair over the current scepticism towards experts, science and evidence, particularly when it comes to issues like global warming, biodiversity and the long-term sustainability of modern consumerism.

Science is a method, not a creed.  It has few, if any, rigid lines in the sand - if the data changes, so does scientific 'orthodoxy.'  For example, if homeopathy were any more effective than a placebo, then research would identify that in the data and the scientific consensus would move towards it.  The idea of a scientist stamping round the Greenfields swearing and spitting at all the irrational hippies and spiritualists is just a straw man.  No scientist is going to waste their time telling people that joss-sticks, healing crystals or tarot cards are a waste of time - these are niche things which don't currently do any significant damage to the world.  The current scepticism/ambivalence about things like global warming and the excessive use of pesticides and antibiotics, on the other hand, are hugely important to the planet, and many of the 'hippies' promoting alternative lifestyles in the Greenfields are really just running a grass roots campaign to get people to acknowledge, and act upon, the science.

This 100%. Couldn't have said it better.

I have always found the Greenfields a nice chilled out area of the festival and I love that Michael Eavis has always allowed people to come to the festival even when he personally might disagree with them on many issues. When you get over a quarter of a million people together there are bound to be people who have many different opinions and healthy debate is good about beliefs etc. Unless they are peddling and forcing dangerous misinformation on people then I don't see why we all have to feel the same way about everything. 

Michael Eavis has clearly led by example by allowing there to be footage of him personally getting the vaccine. 

22 minutes ago, Mash2 said:

New to the festival...but, wouldn't it be a better idea to add a healthcare science section specifically focused on talking about Healthcare vaccines and debunking incorrect urban myths? and putting natural cures into proper context of overall healthcare?

I’d go one better..

337E315D-D880-4924-876D-28270E4DD832.png

This is a very sensitive topic and I think this thread has handled it v well.

I know someone I can immediately put into this category. Started off as a peace and love type, and since Covid has become a complete anti-vax, anti-big bank/ anti-Semitic, small ring of rich Jews trying to rule the world type.

Its really rough to see and I’ve had to just mute them on social media. I like them as a person but I feel like this descent happens to people very fast.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 1/22/2021 at 11:13 AM, tarw said:

A lot of the treatments in the healing fields are recognised complimentary therapies that are actually recommended by NICE and the practitioners are regulated and licensed by their professional bodies. To brand them as quacks who wave crystals about is way off the mark. 

not saying that there aren’t some people there who rubbish western medicine but most don’t in my experience 

I am absolutely open to alternative forms of medicine. In fact I think some have saved me in some circumstances (CBD)

But the second someone starts telling me to stop going to the doctor / hospital because you don’t know what they are putting in your body- they lose me.

3 hours ago, Mark E. Spliff said:

what he says

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Mark E. Spliff said:

The idea of a scientist stamping round the Greenfields swearing and spitting at all the irrational hippies and spiritualists is just a straw man.  No scientist is going to waste their time telling people that joss-sticks, healing crystals or tarot cards are a waste of time - these are niche things which don't currently do any significant damage to the world.

I remember one year Ben Goldacre was on at the Speaker’s Forum in the Green Fields and did just that. He was asked why he would go there of all places to speak, and made the point that they were the people that most needed to hear what he had to say, and that there is far less point in preaching to the converted.

13 hours ago, Mash2 said:

New to the festival...but, wouldn't it be a better idea to add a healthcare science section specifically focused on talking about Healthcare vaccines and debunking incorrect urban myths? and putting natural cures into proper context of overall healthcare?

but what exactly is a natural cure? Does waving crystals about count? Does a gong bath?

They're harmless enough and I'm sure some people get enjoyment and calm from them. But as a cup of tea does much the same, is that heathcare too? 

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

but what exactly is a natural cure? Does waving crystals about count? Does a gong bath?

They're harmless enough and I'm sure some people get enjoyment and calm from them. But as a cup of tea does much the same, is that heathcare too? 

Ohh, yes. Tea has magical properties, it's raised the dead a few times in my life after a heavy night, many of them on a certain farm 🤪.

Great thread btw. Greenfield's should stay of course but nothing wrong with challenging the views you might find there. Conversation beats censorship (almost) every time.

9 hours ago, mattiloy said:

Just delete this awful fascist thread already 

In what way is this discussion fascist? It’s a big elephant in the room. It can’t be ignored that a large chunk of the festival (who help build and provide for the event) may have problems being able to come if you require a vaccine to attend.

To those who have rejected vaccines throughout their life and been a huge part of Glastonbury, what happens there if it becomes law to have been vaccinated to attend a major event?

My ex is bang into crystals, she’s always buying them for me for certain things and telling me when it’s a full moon to cleanse them. I think she genuinely believes in it all, but really for me as far as she’s concerned it’s just something that allows her to channel positive thoughts, or something to hang the positive thoughts on, a conduit if you will. There are obviously huge benefits to positive thinking, so if these things help people manifest these positive thoughts then so be it. 

• Like 1