We need to talk about The Green Fields

DeanoL

16 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

I have always enjoyed wandering through the Greenfields, its a totally different area of the festival. Never felt as if I was having something forced on me, just people with alternative views to mine, cant remember ever being told my views were wrong, they just expressed their views and beliefs, if they were contrary to mine then all was fine and I moved on, but they always made me think. The Greenfields are not forced on punters, its you who has to go to the Greenfields to find out what their views and beliefs are, and its not like they are centre stage so you can easily avoid them/not know they are there, they are tucked away in a corner which most punters wont ever visit

Yeah I pretty much agree with this. It's very easy to go to the festival and completely avoid the area.

It's always been part of my tradition to wander round the Healing Fields, as it's quite a nice calming space, and I used to always get a massage. I'm quite into yoga and believe in the positive aspects of things like meditation etc, but I draw the line at astrology, homeopathy, crystals etc. That said, I just walk on by that stuff. It's like the political side of Glastonbury in that it's part of its history and you can choose to give a wide berth if you want.

All that said I really wouldn't be surprised to see some anti vax stuff there, which would concern me more. But it's a long way off now so who knows? Perhaps it won't be such a hot topic in 2022 (she says optimistically).

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Christianity > new age bullshit  tbh tho

In what way? Both are made up stories people use to navigate their way through life. Although modern day Christianity is largely benign, it has a violent and destructive past. I'd take someone who reads palms or performs Reiki over somebody trying to convince me I'm inherently unworthy of redemption.

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

There's a direct line from people who think science is nonsense so try and heal illness with crystals and water to people who think science is nonsense so won't wear masks, or will talk about how vaccines are dangerous and we shouldn't get them.

Is there? That reads to me as if you're stereotyping everyone who isn't following Science™ into one category and attributing every anti-scientific theory to them, which is a bit unfair. It also assumes that those who participate take it seriously. Most people I know would enjoy it as an alternative little story they can indulge in for as long as it's happening.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

I do think it provokes some interesting thought (in some people, anyway), which is never a bad thing. It's always good to challenge the established ideas even if what drives the challenge is a crock of shit.

This. I enjoy the somewhat out-there ideas found in The Healing Fields. There are places I've no interest in visiting, but those are places I never see for the other 360 days of the year. I see it as a field of alternatives; outliers who come together for a few days in a field in Somerset, for anyone who fancies something different. That in itself is healing for me. That such a place exists.

1 hour ago, tarw said:

Are you my younger clone?  Mrs Tarw is a radiographer and mamographer who is currently doing a degree in acupuncture with a view to use it in the treatment of lymphodema at work under the direction of her consultant 

Depends how old you are - Maybe I’m older? 

39 minutes ago, Andy0808 v5 said:

Finally a stage I can get behind Chris Martin headlining.

Out of upvotes, sorry 😂 

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

I'd be against that. It would end up with only sanitised 'approved' types who are well tapped into the system, pushing established messages.

I don't agree with all of the off-the-wall stuff that Glastonbury has, but i'm glad its there.

I don’t think those groups are mainstream though. From our liberal bubble it’s easy to think that way, but CALM’s entire reason for existing is that suicide in young people wasn’t being talked about much at all. I know some high profile music acts we tend to like have supported them but I feel they are from the establishment. In fact I would argue yoga is far more mainstream!

7 hours ago, tarw said:

A lot of the treatments in the healing fields are recognised complimentary therapies that are actually recommended by NICE and the practitioners are regulated and licensed by their professional bodies. To brand them as quacks who wave crystals about is way off the mark. 

not saying that there aren’t some people there who rubbish western medicine but most don’t in my experience 

Which complementary therapies are NICE recommended? I’m not sure if I know of any off the top of my head. There’s certainly some useful aspects (thinking of yoga and meditation based stuff), but a lot of it isn’t grounded in reality. 

I am most definitely pro-science, anti-nonsense. Mrs Moth however is into that stuff to a degree (some of her friends are self proclaimed mediums however 🙄), in fact the whole alternative medicine, spirituality scene is far more rife in NZ than UK.

That said, we always take a wander around the healing fields, and as long as I stay away from the full on quackery I find it has quite a relaxing atmosphere. It’s an important area for many people and part of the festivals DNA. I’m happy to engage with the traders in a live and let live manner.

Just don’t offer to pay for stuff with a homeopathic £20 note... they don’t like that.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, John the Moth said:

I am most definitely pro-science, anti-nonsense. Mrs Moth however is into that stuff to a degree (some of her friends are self proclaimed mediums however 🙄), in fact the whole alternative medicine, spirituality scene is far more rife in NZ than UK.

That said, we always take a wander around the healing fields, and as long as I stay away from the full on quackery I find it has quite a relaxing atmosphere. It’s an important area for many people and part of the festivals DNA. I’m happy to engage with the traders in a live and let live manner.

Just don’t offer to pay for stuff with a homeopathic £20 note... they don’t like that.

We were always struck by how many chiropractors there were in NZ. They seemed to be in every town, even the smaller ones. Any idea why so many bad backs?!  (Ive avoided sheep related jokes).   Like you we always like a stroll round the healing field, part of the festival experience, was nearly tempted into getting a head massage last time but there was a queue! Glastonbury town is awash with shops selling crystals, dream catchers etc, don’t believe in it but it’s nice to browse, life sometimes doesn’t have to be logical. 

2 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

We were always struck by how many chiropractors there were in NZ. They seemed to be in every town, even the smaller ones. Any idea why so many bad backs?!  (Ive avoided sheep related jokes).   Like you we always like a stroll round the healing field, part of the festival experience, was nearly tempted into getting a head massage last time but there was a queue! Glastonbury town is awash with shops selling crystals, dream catchers etc, don’t believe in it but it’s nice to browse, life sometimes doesn’t have to be logical. 

I don’t think it’s bad backs per se, more that the chiropractors here have gotten very good at appearing legitimate and at selling ‘maintenance’ appointments to prevent bad backs. Nonsense of course.

I convinced Mrs Moth to switch from a Chiropractor to a physiotherapist after she came home one time with a bunch of wacko leaflets, including one about how cancer will be cured with an alkaline diet and by the way you can buy this device to alkalise your water. I was fuming!

Cue desperate phone calls from the Chiro to try and win her back!

ps Mrs Moths parents still swear by this loon. They’ve stopped mentioning it in my presence now though.

The Green Fields are a haven of calm, and I very much enjoy spending some time there. I’ve always loved going in and out of a few tents, chatting to the people there. There’s always friendly, albeit they can seem to have ‘alternative’ views and lifestyles. I think they’re just wonderful, and deep down, if I am honest, I’m probably a little in awe of their bravery, having led a ‘conventional’ lifestyle myself. One homeopathic tent was particularly lovely and helpful to my 12 year old daughter in2015 when she was just tortured by hay fever. Anyway, I’m all for them and would hate to see them restricted in any way. As others have said, you can walk by. I’ve certainly never seen any forcefulness there, nor any controversial ideas. Live and let live. Oh and by the way.... I think the WRVS tent, where you get tea, cake, and blue rinse sympathy, is located there. Many a festival has seen me recharge my batteries for the next push in that tent! 

9 hours ago, gizmoman said:

Instead of getting rid of the green fields why don't we get rid of all the people who claim to love the festival for all it's diversity, spirituality and atmosphere but who actually want it to be regulated to represent an "acceptable" mainstream conservative view.

It's a totally arrogant argument to suggest science has all the answers, there is only one truth, and other points of view should be silenced, if you think the green fields is such a dangerous place maybe you should spend your festival going round the tents explaining why they are wrong instead of trying to get them banned. I know much of what they believe doesn't make logical sense but it's down to individuals to make judgements on what is right and wrong not have that decided for them.

Out of upvotes But have an up comment.

Honestly the shit you read on these forums sometimes purporting to be in line with the ’ethos’ of the festival is mental. Could not be further from the truth.

This from the literal wiki page. Learn a bit of history folks 

EA32F5E6-17E6-4D91-BA11-25CAD96F701D.jpeg