Jump to content

september 2021 Glastonbury


Big durbs
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 5/7/2021 at 6:09 PM, Dukeicon said:

Some new info (maps 🤤) about this on the council website.
Lots of attachments to read through, what a better way to spend your Friday evening!

https://www.mendip.gov.uk/article/9995/Licensing-Sub-Committee-Wednesday-12-May-2021

728575921_Screenshot2021-05-07at18_05_53.thumb.png.4fa62fddb230fbb4ca2763457bc8f3ad.png

 

120258948_Screenshot2021-05-07at18_06_14.thumb.png.b0323af61f4eca23baafb68440e7ea98.png


Also SL have done a piece on this and it's not just re-hashing old news
https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/whats-on/music-nightlife/glastonbury-festival-september-line-up-5377156

Thanks for that, enjoyed reading it, it was that or watch West Ham v Everton first half😉.  Looks like the long drops are being opened up for the occasion. (Hope they remembered to empty them after 2019. It’s been a while ) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They’ll have to have a significant plan to bus people in and out to nearby towns if theyre not having camping. Imagine the pressure on local bnbs, hotels, etc. Or keep it significantly geared to locals. 
or trust that a significant portion of people wont drink drive! 

Edited by Memory Man
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/7/2021 at 6:35 PM, crazyfool1 said:

50 k in that arena should be fine .... enough space for picnic blankets ... my only doubt is traffic chaos ...

As much as an event would be nice, I definitely share that doubt. When you see what happens with about 100000 leaving at various times between Sunday afternoon and Monday afternoon (everywhere local is basically blocked for 24 hours), the thought of 50000 people leaving all at once sounds like a lot. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, DTichborne said:

As much as an event would be nice, I definitely share that doubt. When you see what happens with about 100000 leaving at various times between Sunday afternoon and Monday afternoon (everywhere local is basically blocked for 24 hours), the thought of 50000 people leaving all at once sounds like a lot. 

To be fair that's not really the case.  Once out of the car parks the traffic management on local roads is exceptionally well organised for an event of that size and Monday morning disruption is certainly far better than it could otherwise be. 

Admittedly we only live 10 miles away, but for the past few years we leave around 1200 on Monday and I'm on my driveway by 1230.

That said it wouldn't surprise me to see the event given go-ahead for Saturday only as a Friday event would see arriving traffic concentrated into a smaller window than is the case for main festival, and the impact from that causing issues.  With most traffic leaving post-midnight for either Sat or Sun then yes there will be holdups but the impact to local non-event traffic and services at that time are unlikely to be a major concern.....have you ever tried getting out of Cardiff after a Millenium Stadium gig? It's hellish but it doesn't stop the event happening.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

That said it wouldn't surprise me to see the event given go-ahead for Saturday only as a Friday event would see arriving traffic concentrated into a smaller window than is the case for main festival, and the impact from that causing issues.

Any licence restriction to that effect would surely kill the event dead - there's going to be a fairly large logistical cost for dressing and kitting out the Pyramid, building fences, laying trackway for car parks, etc etc and so cutting the potential revenue in half while most costs remain the same would almost certainly make it unviable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, parsonjack said:

To be fair that's not really the case.  Once out of the car parks the traffic management on local roads is exceptionally well organised for an event of that size and Monday morning disruption is certainly far better than it could otherwise be. 

Admittedly we only live 10 miles away, but for the past few years we leave around 1200 on Monday and I'm on my driveway by 1230.

That said it wouldn't surprise me to see the event given go-ahead for Saturday only as a Friday event would see arriving traffic concentrated into a smaller window than is the case for main festival, and the impact from that causing issues.  With most traffic leaving post-midnight for either Sat or Sun then yes there will be holdups but the impact to local non-event traffic and services at that time are unlikely to be a major concern.....have you ever tried getting out of Cardiff after a Millenium Stadium gig? It's hellish but it doesn't stop the event happening.

I've gotten back to Bristol at 4am after a couple of Millennium Stadium gigs. I've gotten a hotel since. 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

We normally see a majority of the festival crowd arrive over a period of a few hours on the wed these days don’t we … ? That’s 125,000 people … so thinking about it … it’s still very possible …. 

Yeah.

I haven't seen exact numbers for a few years, but of the ~135,000 pubic tickets a very large majority of them arrive between whatever time car parks open on Tuesday and Wednesday early-mid afternoon. There's probably a fair few staff and Hospitality tickets arriving during that window as well.

I really don't think 50,000 people is that big an impact. They do deal with more traffic arriving and departing during the Wednesday and Monday of the Festival, and the festival also has a lot more "mixed" traffic going on at the same time - production vehicles, people driving on/off/around site, stuff going "against the flow".

In comparison, for the most part this is going to be a relatively simple arrive/depart exercise. The around site is an important thing - a lot of the worst problems are caused because people arrive the wrong side of side and need to get to a particular gate which I can't see being an issue for this event. I also think that the average number of people per car will be significantly higher as there's no camping kit to transport.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Padjeq said:

Traffic's a big issue and maybe it's time to go heavy on the coach packages. Very few people would need a car if they're not bringing in tents and slabs of booze.

Sure to be discussed today.....I'm guessing local buses only though, although punters from outside local area might get option of using them in a 'Park and Ride' manner.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

If traffics an issue is their any park and ride facilities nearby, with a shuttle buses to and from the site? 

My thinking was they'd split tickets between locals (can have the same setup at the usual Pilton Party for this) + non locals and then perhaps use the Bath & West Showground for those who wish to camp. This can also be used as a park and ride service to the site.

Edited by JoeyT
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

My thinking was they'd split tickets between locals (can have the same setup at the usual Pilton Party for this) + non locals and then perhaps use the Bath & West Showground for those who wish to camp. This can also be used as a park and ride service to the site.

Nothing at all preventing punters from organising their own camping off site, but I'd be surprised if there's even consideration of using B&W within the event organisation itself.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, parsonjack said:

Nothing at all preventing punters from organising their own camping off site, but I'd be surprised if there's even consideration of using B&W within the event organisation itself.

i did think if they would use the bath and west as camping / parking , then bus in and out of the site , but of course everyone ( all 50k , will be arriving / leaving at approximately the same time , i could be worse traffic than a normal glasto for just this reason 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...