One change I'd make to the festival is....

Leyrulion

1 hour ago, SheffJeff said:

This has probably been discussed before but I've always found the sound from the other stage utter dog shit. I'm sure there must be something they could do about it.

It's the only main stage without a Martin Audio rig. Hopefully using the same kit that gives great sound elsewhere will do the trick.

This might be controversial, and I do understand why they do it...but the Sunday day tickets for locals.

The place becomes so crowded on the Sunday and some of the locals I’ve interacted with (not all, not tarnishing all with the same brush) have a sense of entitlement and think they own the joint.

21 minutes ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

This might be controversial, and I do understand why they do it...but the Sunday day tickets for locals.

The place becomes so crowded on the Sunday and some of the locals I’ve interacted with (not all, not tarnishing all with the same brush) have a sense of entitlement and think they own the joint.

So the locals are like this forum then

• Upvote 1

Bring back the Young Greens little camping communities they had dotted around the site. They were they to encourage a sense of community and responsibility around litter and taking stuff home. But they were also such friendly and inviting places to camp, around a bonfire and seats, as I recall.

I last saw them in 2015, arriving alone at 9am on Pennards. One of the greens approached me with a big smile and asked if I’d like to camp next to their community. It was a lovely, warm invitation that instantly gave a sense of community with purpose. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, SheffJeff said:

This has probably been discussed before but I've always found the sound from the other stage utter dog shit. I'm sure there must be something they could do about it.

Mine would actually be a complete overhaul of the Other Stage area. Give it a bit of a personality. It's the only area that feels generic festival. 

• Like 1

Revamp the acts/line-ups for all of the Theatre/Circus/Cabaret bit - I get that it's a huge community of friends but there's so much good stuff out there that having the same people back, often doing the exact same act, multiple times during the festival, every year... it makes it a side-show. It is not the place to go to see exciting new circus/theatre/comedy talent. The first few years I went I was able to spend most of my festival in those areas seeing new and amazing stuff because it was all new to me. Can't do that now as I've seen most of it before. It's an attitude that would never be accepted on the music stages.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, kalifire said:

Bring back the Young Greens little camping communities they had dotted around the site. They were they to encourage a sense of community and responsibility around litter and taking stuff home. But they were also such friendly and inviting places to camp, around a bonfire and seats, as I recall.

I last saw them in 2015, arriving alone at 9am on Pennards. One of the greens approached me with a big smile and asked if I’d like to camp next to their community. It was a lovely, warm invitation that instantly gave a sense of community with purpose. 

Someone came up to us and said this in in oxlyers in 2019, so maybe it's still a thing? We were just never in the campsite long enough to enjoy a call fire!

4 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I always thought a part of why Latitude came about was Melvin's involvement in the festival in the early 00s and a desire to do the actual "festival of performing arts" thing but properly.

Yeah, maybe ... tho my take on Latitude's comedy/cabaret is that it also comes from a matey pool of people as Glastonbury's does (not the same group for both fests, to make that clear).

I think these things getting a bit too matey is inevitable.

8 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Yeah, maybe ... tho my take on Latitude's comedy/cabaret is that it also comes from a matey pool of people as Glastonbury's does (not the same group for both fests, to make that clear).

I think the comedy side of it certainly does, but equally the Latitude group tend to face the challenge of bringing something new to the festival every year much more seriously. Where the Glastonbury group is a lot of old school acts who have their "act" and don't see why they would ever change it. I've not been for a few years now though so that might have changed. Latitude also seems to do better at theatre stuff - though I wonder if that's down to the setup, I don't think the Astrolabe is quite as fancy as the Latitude theatre.

24 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Revamp the acts/line-ups for all of the Theatre/Circus/Cabaret bit - I get that it's a huge community of friends but there's so much good stuff out there that having the same people back, often doing the exact same act, multiple times during the festival, every year... it makes it a side-show. It is not the place to go to see exciting new circus/theatre/comedy talent. The first few years I went I was able to spend most of my festival in those areas seeing new and amazing stuff because it was all new to me. Can't do that now as I've seen most of it before. It's an attitude that would never be accepted on the music stages.

Although it would still be new for me that is because I have always found the line up uninspiring and have only dipped my toe in a few times over the years. It Pales in comparison to the music lineup and I believed that was probably due to lack of budget but Maybe the “chums” factor outweighs that.

A new team in charge a bigger budget(surely some dosh could be creamed off some of the numerous music stages) would maybe revitalize it.

23 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Also see the ever repeating Avalon area line-up. 

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

and Acoustic Tent, and ... etc, etc, etc.

In 2007, I wrote this:-

an open letter to Michael Eavis

Thanks for posting that - really interesting. I think they have done a lot of what you've suggested in terms of the music side of things on the main stages. And I guess that's why I've drifted further from Glasto being the ideal festival for me. My music tastes have pretty much stagnated in the past ten years, and so the festival has moved on from them a bit. But in areas I actually follow (especially comedy) and am seeing new exciting stuff, the festival has stayed still.

There's some desire there: The Elvis Dead booking at Cabaret last festival was inspired and there are a trickle of new acts every year - and some old favourites get unceremoniously bumped. And I think part of it is that a lot of those acts love the festival, and playing every year is their ticket in for them and their family. They get very upset when not booked, understandably (especially as they don't get booked or not until well after the tickets have been sold, so it's not like they can then just try for tickets as a punter).

It'd just take some bravery for them to all go "from now on, no-one gets booked two years in a row". Which is essentially the policy for all the main stages, barring an act having a huge change in status between two festivals.

3 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Thanks for posting that - really interesting. I think they have done a lot of what you've suggested in terms of the music side of things on the main stages. And I guess that's why I've drifted further from Glasto being the ideal festival for me. My music tastes have pretty much stagnated in the past ten years, and so the festival has moved on from them a bit. But in areas I actually follow (especially comedy) and am seeing new exciting stuff, the festival has stayed still.

There's some desire there: The Elvis Dead booking at Cabaret last festival was inspired and there are a trickle of new acts every year - and some old favourites get unceremoniously bumped. And I think part of it is that a lot of those acts love the festival, and playing every year is their ticket in for them and their family. They get very upset when not booked, understandably (especially as they don't get booked or not until well after the tickets have been sold, so it's not like they can then just try for tickets as a punter).

It'd just take some bravery for them to all go "from now on, no-one gets booked two years in a row". Which is essentially the policy for all the main stages, barring an act having a huge change in status between two festivals.

I think it's quite possible that covid is going to shake things up a fair bit. It's pretty likely that one or more years of no festivals for lower-level performers plus festival staff is going to have a fair few move onto doing other things, and so they won't be back to the festival.

While I obviously don't want anyone forced out of doing what they love, a shake up won't be a bad thing I don't think. 

19 minutes ago, Quark said:

Oh God, he's started on the audio systems...

Last time around, I was sitting at a table outside the Goan Fish Curry place tucking in to it's fine food and struck up a conversation with the random bloke also at the table. Within a minute we were onto the subject of the WH soundsystem and he was off about repeaters and stuff and a letter he'd sent to the management. "Hang on a moment. You're Stu, aren't you". Oh yes, for it was he.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 5

9 minutes ago, Fishman said:

Last time around, I was sitting at a table outside the Goan Fish Curry place tucking in to it's fine food and struck up a conversation with the random bloke also at the table. Within a minute we were onto the subject of the WH soundsystem and he was off about repeaters and stuff and a letter he'd sent to the management. "Hang on a moment. You're Stu, aren't you". Oh yes, for it was he.

Well that's made my day 😄