One change I'd make to the festival is....

Leyrulion

36 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

So does the current system to be fair.

Needing to refresh constantly / check up on devices means you can't have 100 tablets like you could with a queue. It puts a cap where having more devices will help you diminishingly until it hinders you

1 hour ago, Leyrulion said:

Yeah, it's predicated on the digital solution being cheaper but even if everyone is sending four tickets to the same address that's over £300 grand for postage costs. I'm sure there's someone out there who would want to undercut that. 

Seems pretty fair for secure postage for all those tickets. 

8 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

Yeah, it's predicated on the digital solution being cheaper but even if everyone is sending four tickets to the same address that's over £300 grand for postage costs. I'm sure there's someone out there who would want to undercut that.

There would be a cost for the digital solution, which would be built in to the normal ticket price. At least with the current one that can be combined to make it less per ticket. 

Royal Mail secured postage cost have shot up which is why the postage cost has gone up. 

https://www.royalmail.com/sending/uk/special-delivery-guaranteed-1pm

10 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

Why would digitising be open to fraud and require ID when you don't need ID currently? You'd literally just move the online registration details into a ticket and add a moving water mark over the image

It may not, but im saying why would they bother to invest in this and spend a single penny even investigating it when what they already have works just fine?

theres always going to be unscrupulous people out there trying to fake digital tickets and silly people willing to try using them

19 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

• Maybe a section on the website where you can sign-in, say up to two hours before the sale, pre-load your registration (which would check that your information is also correct) and payment details ahead of the sale going live? Then, when the sale actually starts and you secure your tickets, all your details are entered and pre-authorised, making it a much quicker and less stressful exercise.

The sad thing is, come Thursday evening and Sunday lunchtime, we'll probably be talking about the same system and website failures that have plagued the ticket sale for the last 8/9 years.

Oooh a place where you could pre-authorise payment would be legit a great idea. Solves the issue people had with my idea that some people wouldn't pay up. I'd give people a week before the sale to do it and then Glastonbury could keep the interest made on it for a week. Obviously would need to give full refunds if people weren't successful. Would give them very clear ideas of how many people are trying to go to the festival as well. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Oooh a place where you could pre-authorise payment would be legit a great idea. Solves the issue people had with my idea that some people wouldn't pay up. I'd give people a week before the sale to do it and then Glastonbury could keep the interest made on it for a week. Obviously would need to give full refunds if people weren't successful. Would give them very clear ideas of how many people are trying to go to the festival as well. 

The cost of processing potentially millions of refunds would far outweigh any interest the festival would earn. Why do you think they take £25 from cancelled tickets?

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

5 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

The cost of processing potentially millions of refunds would far outweigh any interest the festival would earn. Why do you think they take £25 from cancelled tickets?

Maybe they could charge a small amount to cover that or literally just pre-authorise each account so they know where to take payment from if that registration is successful in getting through in the sale. 

13 hours ago, dotdash79 said:

So for the ticketless you could run squid game style events on the Wednesday\Thursday winner gets into the festival. You could put it on the mains stage screens for people inside to watch and bet on. 

reface-2021-10-15-02-20-37.gif.1615c391d94696c4c36b0b1581e7ad68.gif

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gigpusher said:

My suggestion is to load details and maybe pre-authorise payment, not take any cash at the point of entry, much like the current process of purchasing limited edition drop clothes and trainers. They would only process the payment once you've secured the ticket. if you're unsuccessful, you don't get charged.

My thinking is by pre-entering as much information as possible, it leaves you clear to join in the scramble for the ticket. For example, the week leading up to the sale you could:

Enter your registration and postcode details, which could act as a check that they're correct and up-to-date. For you and your friends.

Add your payment details, ensuring that the card type is valid and all other associated information is correct. 

These two pre-checks alone could reduce the stress and frustration of potentially mis-typing, mis-reading, friends giving you old or incorrect reg details, etc and it reduces the number of screens you have to go through at the point of sale. 

Sometimes, securing the ticket is the easy part! After that, you have the payment screen, of which we know is littered with instances of people being thrown out.

If pre-entering information means that nabbing tickets is a straight shoot-out, I reckon it's fair game.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

My suggestion is to load details and maybe pre-authorise payment, not take any cash at the point of entry, much like the current process of purchasing limited edition drop clothes and trainers. They would only process the payment once you've secured the ticket. if you're unsuccessful, you don't get charged.

My thinking is by pre-entering as much information as possible, it leaves you clear to join in the scramble for the ticket. For example, the week leading up to the sale you could:

Enter your registration and postcode details, which could act as a check that they're correct and up-to-date. For you and your friends.

Add your payment details, ensuring that the card type is valid and all other associated information is correct. 

These two pre-checks alone could reduce the stress and frustration of potentially mis-typing, mis-reading, friends giving you old or incorrect reg details, etc and it reduces the number of screens you have to go through at the point of sale. 

Sometimes, securing the ticket is the easy part! After that, you have the payment screen, of which we know is littered with instances of people being thrown out.

If pre-entering information means that nabbing tickets is a straight shoot-out, I reckon it's fair game.

Yes, there's a number of major events where you have to register beforehand - it's the only way to access tickets - so as long as you are logged onto the site before you try for tickets, there is no need for entering any personal details. On one, I have to allocate names to each ticket at a later date but this could again be done in advance of ticket sales. 

Also, almost every ticket site my card details appear so I just select the one I wish to use and only require the security code to type in, it makes the process so much easier and much less likely to make a mistake.

2 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I think they can do this for free - I enter for shoe raffles and theres sites that take your money upfront and just refund you when you lose. They can also run a quick check on you (pre-authorise) and then only take the money when they draw the raffle. Its definitely possible as they would be losing heaps of money from all the processing for lost entries.

2 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

It would depend on the nature of how digital tickets were administered, but however it was done it would making conning people far easier. It’s far harder to fake a physical ticket than it is to screenshot a digital one and sell a to somebody gullible, it’s already happening now anyway:

But doesn't this sort of prove that no matter what system you use you have people trying to scam people. It's entirely paper based and people still try and sell pdfs. 

I don't see the messaging being any different if it was through an official ticketing app. "Tickets are only available through the app/paper ticket and cannot be resold"

2 hours ago, Memory Man said:

It may not, but im saying why would they bother to invest in this and spend a single penny even investigating it when what they already have works just fine?

They'd only look at it as a way to minimise cost increases in subsequent years and make the festival entry more secure through reducing reselling of the paper tickets.

4 minutes ago, gfa said:

I think they can do this for free - I enter for shoe raffles and theres sites that take your money upfront and just refund you when you lose. They can also run a quick check on you (pre-authorise) and then only take the money when they draw the raffle. Its definitely possible as they would be losing heaps of money from all the processing for lost entries.

I’ve got a business bank account and they charge for everything, but very small amounts. 20p for bank transfers, 20p for debit card payments etc. It’s not a huge amount on a small scale that anyone would worry about including your shoe raffle, but let’s say the card processor charge Glastonbury 20p and they had to refund 750k people, that’s £150k in fees, and for what? It’s an unnecessary load of hassle and extra cost that will have no benefit to the festival. I get the frustration at card payments failing, but ultimately they’re a small minority and when you have thousands of payments going through inevitably some will fail, sometimes I buy stuff online and it fails for no reason and then goes through it’s just the nature of thousands of transactions happening at once, some will fail and it won’t even be anything to do with the system itself.

It’s frustrating for the small minority it affects, but ultimately it doesn’t affect the festival when it happens as they still sell this tickets, so to me it just seems a very unnecessary and convoluted way to solve something that isn’t an issue to Glastonbury and is really only an issue for small number of people.

2 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

But doesn't this sort of prove that no matter what system you use you have people trying to scam people. It's entirely paper based and people still try and sell pdfs. 

I don't see the messaging being any different if it was through an official ticketing app. "Tickets are only available through the app/paper ticket and cannot be resold"

They'd only look at it as a way to minimise cost increases in subsequent years and make the festival entry more secure through reducing reselling of the paper tickets.

So if paper tickets were removed and a digital version replaced them, you think there would be no increase in people trying to pass off digital versions as real?

Tickets are paper now and a tiny bit of DD from anyone will confirm this (as that twitter poster did) as soon as they go digital then it’s open season from any scammer.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I’ve got a business bank account and they charge for everything, but very small amounts. 20p for bank transfers, 20p for debit card payments etc. It’s not a huge amount on a small scale that anyone would worry about including your shoe raffle, but let’s say the card processor charge Glastonbury 20p and they had to refund 750k people, that’s £150k in fees, and for what? It’s an unnecessary load of hassle and extra cost that will have no benefit to the festival. I get the frustration at card payments failing, but ultimately they’re a small minority and when you have thousands of payments going through inevitably some will fail, sometimes I buy stuff online and it fails for no reason and then goes through it’s just the nature of thousands of transactions happening at once, some will fail and it won’t even be anything to do with the system itself.

It’s frustrating for the small minority it affects, but ultimately it doesn’t affect the festival when it happens as they still sell this tickets, so to me it just seems a very unnecessary and convoluted way to solve something that isn’t an issue to Glastonbury and is really only an issue for small number of people.

That's definitely a lot of extra cost however you heavily underestimate the amount of people entering the raffles. There will be multiple a week with upwards of 50,000 entries to some of them - there must surely be another way as thats a huge amount of money being bled.

I agree its unnecessary though.

1 minute ago, clarkete said:

Wait, what?

Its as ridiculous as it sounds, basically the only way to do it due to bots. Its very similar to buying concert tickets in the ticketmaster queue system just you don't see a queue and only get told the result

7 minutes ago, gfa said:

Its as ridiculous as it sounds, basically the only way to do it due to bots. Its very similar to buying concert tickets in the ticketmaster queue system just you don't see a queue and only get told the result

To me a raffle is a thing to raise a funds for a school or a cause where the prizes are often not what you'd want - hamper, tins of shortbread, bottle of sherry and everything has a ticket.

This sounds very much like an opportunity for the retailer to get more money 🙂

19 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I get the frustration at card payments failing, but ultimately they’re a small minority and when you have thousands of payments going through inevitably some will fail, sometimes I buy stuff online and it fails for no reason and then goes through it’s just the nature of thousands of transactions happening at once, some will fail and it won’t even be anything to do with the system itself.

I was booking an overseas hotel a couple of weeks ago, tons of credit on the card in question, attempted 4 times and each time they did one of those notional transactions for a tiny amount but it failed very time.  I'd been reading on here about new transaction authorisation so had already checked their app and it said nowt, so phoned the card company, waited an hour to speak to them and they said "there's no issues on the card, we're getting a lot of these with spain and portugal where it seems as though they're not specifying the 3 digits when they put the payment through". 

I also tried another card without success, so in the end just chose a different hotel with the 1st card without issue.

Having typed that I realise that's not quite the same as pages crashing though.

13 minutes ago, clarkete said:

To me a raffle is a thing to raise a funds for a school or a cause where the prizes are often not what you'd want - hamper, tins of shortbread, bottle of sherry and everything has a ticket.

This sounds very much like an opportunity for the retailer to get more money 🙂

Its a raffle to have the chance to purchase - more demand than supply basically. Costs nothing to enter although sometimes they will do charity ones too