One change I'd make to the festival is....

Leyrulion

5 hours ago, clarkete said:

Surely after the last couple of years and the impact on their reserves the one thing the festival can't do is reduce the revenue they take below the current levels?

Plus is there an effective means of identifying those in need? And tbh some folks in need if they were to receive something worth a couple of hundred quid may prefer it to be something other than a golden ticket? 

In terms of diversity, they've clearly tried a lot to keep the line up diverse - has that made any perceivable difference? 

In terms of Other Stage - I have ever seen acts that put on a cracking show in that compromised space - Pet Shop Boys is one I recall not wanting to see, but very much enjoying. 

The festival has had a covid hit, so let the rich girls and boys go wooping around their hedonistic paradise without having to look at the poor folk? This seems to be supporting the trend of the poorest being affected the most by economic downturns.

And as for people preferring the money went somewhere else, that seems to suggest that Glasto would be forcing someone to go to the festival 😅 it would only be people who wanted to do, obviously. And besides, the arts and creativity help fulfil the basic needs. The less entitled need wellbeing too.

2 hours ago, Wanderlei said:

The festival has had a covid hit, so let the rich girls and boys go wooping around their hedonistic paradise without having to look at the poor folk? This seems to be supporting the trend of the poorest being affected the most by economic downturns.

And as for people preferring the money went somewhere else, that seems to suggest that Glasto would be forcing someone to go to the festival 😅 it would only be people who wanted to do, obviously. And besides, the arts and creativity help fulfil the basic needs. The less entitled need wellbeing too.

What measures would you suggest to give everyone the equal opportunity to attend from a financial perspective? A proportion of "affordable" tickets? Reduce the price for everyone? A monthly installment payment system over eight months?

It wouldnt be that hard to do. Reserve a defined no of tickets for those on lower incomes at a reduced rate. Admittedly there would then need to be an application process to ensure that no one was taking the piss which is both time consuming to sort and a little bit condescending to ask someone to “prove” they are on a lower income. Has its pitfalls

and you still have the issue of someone needing all the camping kit and spending money to get by over the 5 days. 

Edited by Memory Man
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

It wouldnt be that hard to do. Reserve a defined no of tickets for those on lower incomes at a reduced rate. Admittedly there would then need to be an application process to ensure that no one was taking the piss which is both time consuming to sort and a little bit condescending to ask someone to “prove” they are on a lower income. Has its pitfalls

and you still have the issue of someone needing all the camping kit and spending money to get by over the 5 days. 

Some sort of sponsorship / donation scheme whereby punters who can afford it subsidise ‘affordable’ tickets. Perhaps the affordable tickets come with a tent provided (but not pre-erected, as then you’d be effectively creating a ghetto)? 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Memory Man said:

Personally, I think it's a good idea. If the festival were to adopt some kind of scheme for lower income attendees, they'd need to be prepared for it to be complicated and time-consuming from an administrative point of view. No doubt they would be. The subject of what is affordable then comes into play. As you rightly point out, the cost of actually attending the five-day event, including travel, food and drink often outweighs the price of the ticket itself. Lots to think about but it definitely deserves further consideration 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, MaxPower said:

Ah yeah great shout, the time I finally allotted myself a shower in 2019 I walked the entire length of the festival from where we were camped (back of dairy ground) to the showers beside kidz field (the closer ones were closed), they were also closed.

only put it off because of the queues. 

I think that was because of the heat and they were worried they were going to run out of drinking water, oxfam also closed all their showers and you could only refill a small water container.

Edited by gazzared
grammer

I can’t go to the festival with a ticket as I take my nephew. So it would come to c.£1k for tickets, parking, transport, food etc.

I can more than halve that bill by volunteering so that’s what I do. There are alternatives to buying a ticket.  Cost of a ticket isn’t necessarily a barrier.

One thing I’d change…

…. Bring back that indoor Shangri La tiny venue that hosted weird theatre 

Edited by March Hare
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Wanderlei said:

If this is a realistic suggestion you need to consider the festival’s current situation - which is if you want some attendees to pay less others need to pay more - if it comes from the pockets of the festival then it risks their future and the millions they pay to good causes. 

Secondly how does one know who qualifies without it being too intrusive? I know some people who earn little or nothing as they don't need to - I'm sure many of us know folks where their partner is the main bread winner, either as they get sufficiently or family obligations or both. 

19 hours ago, Wanderlei said:

Encourage a broader range of racial and social classes to attend. Festivals are becoming ever more white and middle class - Glasto isn't the worst. WOMAD is shameful, considering the diverse music it represents (then the only people of colour you see are cleaning the portaloos). Glasto needs to lead the way on this issue and do more.

There is one factor in this that may be hard to overcome and my Asian sister in law is the one who pointed it out to me. She said white people love camping. It's just not as much a feature of other cultures. The idea of camping is awful to her. I remember Laura Mvula being interviewed and saying something similar as well. It would be great to see a better mix of society at gigs in general and I think getting it at gigs first is probably our first step. If you've never even been to a gig jumping straight into a 5 days festival will be a bit extreme. 

I did work with a 30 year old Asian guy who loved music who had never been to a gig. I tried to encourage him to go to one but never managed to convince him. I offered to go with him. Suggested acts I was certain would be very welcoming but he would never come out and say why he wouldn't go. He happily went to pubs with us even though he was muslim and couldn't drink but could never get him to a gig. 

Lots of great points and suggestions, and it's encouraging to see that (most) people are at least in agreement that something needs to be done. I'm sure there are a thousand and one different methods, and there are people much more capable of us (well, me), who could think of some great schemes to make improvements. Shrugging and saying 'nothing can be done, let's go on as we are' isn't the solution.

1 hour ago, March Hare said:

I can’t go to the festival with a ticket as I take my nephew. So it would come to c.£1k for tickets, parking, transport, food etc.

I can more than halve that bill by volunteering so that’s what I do. There are alternatives to buying a ticket.  Cost of a ticket isn’t necessarily a barrier.

One thing I’d change…

…. Bring back that indoor Shangri La tiny venue that hosted weird theatre 

I volunteer too. It's a great way to get it. But it can be quite competitive to get in for new folks, and some people wouldn't see it as a holiday. We're straying into the less affluent cleaning up the Rick girls and boys' shit again.

12 hours ago, gfa said:

This would price so many people out of it - glamping is a great way for the festival to make money and keep ticket prices low for general admission but completely glamping is not the way. Being able to go back to random campsites with people you meet is also not possible as everywheres gated at festivals with lots of glamping.

The sea of tents looks much better than lines of them as well!

It wouldn't because in this scenario it would just come with the ticket which would be £280

1 hour ago, Wanderlei said:

Lots of great points and suggestions, and it's encouraging to see that (most) people are at least in agreement that something needs to be done. I'm sure there are a thousand and one different methods, and there are people much more capable of us (well, me), who could think of some great schemes to make improvements. Shrugging and saying 'nothing can be done, let's go on as we are' isn't the solution.

Do you not think that's a tad patronising? 

You've raised a valid issue but your suggestion is impractical today and has a number of issues.

in the old days it was commonplace to see UB40 or student tickets in our price or wherever and that was easy to validate. 

Back when they allowed travellers in or before the fence there was certainly an element of social mobility, but there were also people who could have paid, but simply chose not to - many of us knew some. 

How do you distinguish the genuinely low paid from a trust fund kiddy or someone who's been contracting for 2 years getting paid a fortune doing track and trace and treating themselves to a year off? 

Clearly nobody truly deserving wants to suffer indignity for a cheap ticket. 

55 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Do you not think that's a tad patronising? 

You've raised a valid issue but your suggestion is impractical today and has a number of issues.

in the old days it was commonplace to see UB40 or student tickets in our price or wherever and that was easy to validate. 

Back when they allowed travellers in or before the fence there was certainly an element of social mobility, but there were also people who could have paid, but simply chose not to - many of us knew some. 

How do you distinguish the genuinely low paid from a trust fund kiddy or someone who's been contracting for 2 years getting paid a fortune doing track and trace and treating themselves to a year off? 

Clearly nobody truly deserving wants to suffer indignity for a cheap ticket. 

Sorry if I was patronising. I thought I was being unifying. I never said it needs to be sorted this week, but don't say it's impossible, because it isn't. Are you saying you fall into the "do nothing" category?

Student tickets would be great (although i'm finishing up 3rd year now so little to use to me). I don't know anyone else past our group doing glastonbury but 50+ going to R&L, Wireless or Parklife.

1 hour ago, Wanderlei said:

Sorry if I was patronising. I thought I was being unifying. I never said it needs to be sorted this week, but don't say it's impossible, because it isn't. Are you saying you fall into the "do nothing" category?

Sorry - I figured as a person who had  responded a few times I was being classed as "shrugging and saying 'nothing can be done"

Whereas what I'm trying to say is:-

1. Anything you do can't be at the festival (or good causes) expense. If you wish to pay Paul, then we'd need to rob Peter. I've no problem with some people paying extra for glamping or whatever - as long as its not vip areas. 

2.  I have to repeatedly come back to - how do you qualify those who are in need? I honestly can't think of a way. 

3. A grubby truth - some of the attendees these days would be less sympathetic of subsidising others than in the past, that's my perception at least, as there are even people who admit to being tories there these days 😉

6 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

What measures would you suggest to give everyone the equal opportunity to attend from a financial perspective? A proportion of "affordable" tickets? Reduce the price for everyone? A monthly installment payment system over eight months?

Tickets cost a set percentage of a person's annual income (averaged over 3 years). It's utterly impractical as you wouldn't even know what the festival budget was until the tickets were sold but it'd be interesting.

6 hours ago, Memory Man said:

It wouldnt be that hard to do. Reserve a defined no of tickets for those on lower incomes at a reduced rate.

I think the major problem is that even amongst those who have loads of money, it's still really hard to get a ticket. I can see people just about going along with a scheme that offers cheaper tickets to those less well off, but not if those tickets are exclusively available to that group, hence reducing the chances of a given person not in that group getting a ticket even further. You could try and lock those people who have registered for the cheaper tickets out of the main sale I guess? 

I think the current volunteer system works well, there are loads of volunteer positions, I think that's probably the best way to boost diversity and maybe some of the volunteer organisations could work to encourage a bit more churn - yeah someone has been volunteering at the festival for 10 years since you were a student but now you earn 40k and still do it as you like it so much... maybe give someone a go?

5 hours ago, gigpusher said:

There is one factor in this that may be hard to overcome and my Asian sister in law is the one who pointed it out to me. She said white people love camping. It's just not as much a feature of other cultures. The idea of camping is awful to her. I remember Laura Mvula being interviewed and saying something similar as well. It would be great to see a better mix of society at gigs in general and I think getting it at gigs first is probably our first step. If you've never even been to a gig jumping straight into a 5 days festival will be a bit extreme. 

I did work with a 30 year old Asian guy who loved music who had never been to a gig. I tried to encourage him to go to one but never managed to convince him. I offered to go with him. Suggested acts I was certain would be very welcoming but he would never come out and say why he wouldn't go. He happily went to pubs with us even though he was muslim and couldn't drink but could never get him to a gig. 

Yeah there's more at play in terms of the festival's ethnic diversity than just economics. Yes, white people are massively better off that other races in this country *on average* but even when you adjust for that Glastonbury is well behind the curve.

It would be impossible to means test - how do we even measure it?

I earn more than double now than I did ten years ago when I was 30, but with a mortgage, bills, car, nursery fees and the vast myriad of other expenses that come with having two kids I actually have far less disposable income than I did back then. 

Edited by Hugh Jass II