One change I'd make to the festival is....

Leyrulion

3 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I think I’d give the other stage area a bit more theming. No suggestions to what but it feels less immersive compared with the rest of the festival. 

Yeah it’s a shame it’s just a basic ‘looks like every other crap festival’ wasteland, and I suppose it doesn’t help that a good chunk of the acts booked for it and the surrounding burger stalls etc all fall in to that bracket too. It’s fine, but certainly feels less magic than all of the other big stages. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah it’s a shame it’s just a basic ‘looks like every other crap festival’ wasteland, and I suppose it doesn’t help that a good chunk of the acts booked for it and the surrounding burger stalls etc all fall in to that bracket too. It’s fine, but certainly feels less magic than all of the other big stages. 

I think the problem is that it’s a bit too… open? Like it’s an open space gig in a field and quite minimal. It’s a good stage though I’ve seen some great sets on there, but something to spruce it up would make it cooler. 

3 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah, this. It’s also relatively flat, featureless, and tree-less compared with the rest of the site which doesn’t help it. Other Stage down to Silverhayes could defo use some more fairy dust.

36 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Out of curiosity can I ask why you think it's important for Glastonbury to do this?

Not because I don't think it's important but trying to understand what you think the problem that needs to be solved is?

The same reason there are schemes to allow ethnic minorities to enjoy national parks. Many people feel that some places are "not for them", or that they wouldn't be welcome, because they see a sea of white faces on the TV (I'm sure white people would feel the same way if things were reversed). It stunts inclusivity, and you get while sections of society unable to enjoy something. Glastonbury shouldn't just be for the privileged.

• Upvote 3

48 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Yeah, don’t get me wrong I’m not saying they shouldn’t, I just think the nature of the Glastonbury ticketing system makes it more tricky than any other festival. I think the only real way is as you say, a portion of the tickets held back and allocated somehow. 

Yeah, which is something that can be easily done. They keep expanding the site year after year to allow more people in. If they can do that for financial gain, they can do it for other reasons.

Sound overspill.  Stop adding more stages that are too close to other stages.

I simply don't enjoy listening to a band and hearing another one simultaneously.  Don't know how to practically solve this, but the Acoustic is particularly bad.  I remember trying to listen to Jackson Browne and knowing song for song what Stevie Wonder had played.  And Steve Wonder isn't even the loudest of acts....

39 minutes ago, Wanderlei said:

The same reason there are schemes to allow ethnic minorities to enjoy national parks. Many people feel that some places are "not for them", or that they wouldn't be welcome, because they see a sea of white faces on the TV (I'm sure white people would feel the same way if things were reversed). It stunts inclusivity, and you get while sections of society unable to enjoy something. Glastonbury shouldn't just be for the privileged.

Maybe something they can do looking at the festival industry more widely and ensuring it caters for the full range of people in terms of race, although there are many festivals that are very different to Glastonbury. So I'm not sure if you look at the entire industry whether there is a lack of options for people to attend. 

As for socioeconomic class, there's not much you can do there when you've got a £350 minimum fee before you even get onto the site. 

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

When the weather isn’t great and the dark clouds are rolling in the Other field becomes the bleakest place in the whole festival.

I’ve always hated the Other stage but never really known why. It annoys me when someone I want to see is playing there.

5 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

When the weather isn’t great and the dark clouds are rolling in the Other field becomes the bleakest place in the whole festival.

I’ve always hated the Other stage but never really known why. It annoys me when someone I want to see is playing there.

It’s best feature is its flags are good in a sunset.

1 hour ago, Watergirl said:

Sound overspill.  Stop adding more stages that are too close to other stages.

I simply don't enjoy listening to a band and hearing another one simultaneously.  Don't know how to practically solve this, but the Acoustic is particularly bad.  I remember trying to listen to Jackson Browne and knowing song for song what Stevie Wonder had played.  And Steve Wonder isn't even the loudest of acts....

They've been slowly chipping away at this problem, mainly with tech. Pyramid and W Holts used to cause loads of sound bleed, but barely leak outside their arenas at all now. I don't think there have been any problems at Acoustic for years.

The Park however, is still pretty bad, specifically the noise of Stonebridge when watching acts at The Park Stage. Any kind of dynamics on the main stage is drowned out by the THUD THUD THUD from the tent behind you.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I feel exactly the same way, I always begrudge it when someone I want to see is on there. The sound is often crap and it’s just pretty soulless.

In 2016 one of our group wanted to watch CATBM on there, it was pissing down with rain and the ground conditions were horrendous. Probably the most depressing moment I’ve ever had at the festival.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

A lot more showers, on the west side of the site where the majority of the camping areas are.

I've been to the last three Latitudes due to fallow year/not getting Glastonbury ticket/COVID, and I swear there are more showers there than Glastonbury despite having roughly a third as many festival-goers. Add in that Glastonbury is a five-day festival and requires a lot more walking, there's a lot of very ripe people come Monday morning.

2 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

Maybe something they can do looking at the festival industry more widely and ensuring it caters for the full range of people in terms of race, although there are many festivals that are very different to Glastonbury. So I'm not sure if you look at the entire industry whether there is a lack of options for people to attend. 

As for socioeconomic class, there's not much you can do there when you've got a £350 minimum fee before you even get onto the site. 

Apart from lowering the price for the people that can't afford it. And socioeconomic class and race are inextricably linked. It shouldn't be treated as two separate issues. It wouldn't be an easy thing to fix, but a festival with the ethos of Glastonbury needs to lead the way.

And yeah, they need to fix the shite sound at The Other Stage

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

They've been slowly chipping away at this problem, mainly with tech. Pyramid and W Holts used to cause loads of sound bleed, but barely leak outside their arenas at all now. I don't think there have been any problems at Acoustic for years.

The Park however, is still pretty bad, specifically the noise of Stonebridge when watching acts at The Park Stage. Any kind of dynamics on the main stage is drowned out by the THUD THUD THUD from the tent behind you.

I knew who wrote this post before I looked at the username and you didn’t even mention Martin Audio yet! 😀😂

16 minutes ago, stuie said:

I knew who wrote this post before I looked at the username and you didn’t even mention Martin Audio yet! 😀😂

😄😄😄

It's bloody true though! You used to hear the pyramid bands all the way from the meeting point all the way up to Acoustic, but you just don't anymore...

Ever since the Martian Audio MLA was installed in 2014!!!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Earth_pig said:

All the tents are already there, can be booked in groups of 6.

This would price so many people out of it - glamping is a great way for the festival to make money and keep ticket prices low for general admission but completely glamping is not the way. Being able to go back to random campsites with people you meet is also not possible as everywheres gated at festivals with lots of glamping.

The sea of tents looks much better than lines of them as well!

2 hours ago, FrankieX said:

A lot more showers, on the west side of the site where the majority of the camping areas are.

I've been to the last three Latitudes due to fallow year/not getting Glastonbury ticket/COVID, and I swear there are more showers there than Glastonbury despite having roughly a third as many festival-goers. Add in that Glastonbury is a five-day festival and requires a lot more walking, there's a lot of very ripe people come Monday morning.

Ah yeah great shout, the time I finally allotted myself a shower in 2019 I walked the entire length of the festival from where we were camped (back of dairy ground) to the showers beside kidz field (the closer ones were closed), they were also closed.

only put it off because of the queues. 

2 hours ago, Wanderlei said:

Apart from lowering the price for the people that can't afford it. And socioeconomic class and race are inextricably linked. It shouldn't be treated as two separate issues. It wouldn't be an easy thing to fix, but a festival with the ethos of Glastonbury needs to lead the way.

And yeah, they need to fix the shite sound at The Other Stage

Surely after the last couple of years and the impact on their reserves the one thing the festival can't do is reduce the revenue they take below the current levels?

Plus is there an effective means of identifying those in need? And tbh some folks in need if they were to receive something worth a couple of hundred quid may prefer it to be something other than a golden ticket? 

In terms of diversity, they've clearly tried a lot to keep the line up diverse - has that made any perceivable difference? 

In terms of Other Stage - I have ever seen acts that put on a cracking show in that compromised space - Pet Shop Boys is one I recall not wanting to see, but very much enjoying.