Will Glastonbury as it was, ever return?

Redwinevino

8 hours ago, pilton digger said:

feck you too

Sorry! If it makes you feel any better its supposed to rain in southern california for the better part of a week starting tonight. You can laugh at us for not being able to drive our cars in the rain and making it seem likes its the apocalypse. I honestly just want a balanced out 5 days when I get to go back next year. Some rain is fine because you want to keep the dust down, and a couple sunny not blistering hot days mixed in with cloudy ones. 🤷🏻‍♂️

8 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

The locals get all weird about comments like that, like as if you actually have control over the weather weird.

Figured, and see above haha. I wouldve had seen biblical rain and mud at Coachella if it had been allowed to go on last hear, not always clear and sunny over here.

On 1/22/2021 at 9:07 AM, aj6658 said:

Simple answer- 100%

Long Answer - Come on. To suggest that Glastonbury won't return as it was is being myopic. What you are saying is that the global attitude to life has shifted permanently and that mass gatherings are no longer a thing. Thats madness for three reasons. 

1. This virus has killed too many people but people below under 50 is relatively small. People under 50 are not as concerned about catching the virus than other age groups. I myself and many others are not too concerned with catching it but adhere to the rules as I don't want to spread the virus and understand its a team effort 

2. People are eager to return to normal life. People understand they took simple things like the pub for granted. Once restrictions are over, its going to be mad celebration well into next year 

3. The plague and the Spanish flu are examples of deadly pandemics and societies recovery from it. After the Spanish flu there was a period of celebration 

Experts don't expect this to happen till 2024, which is a worry if the festival can survive not happening for that long

Pubs etc will surely return as they were before then, but full festivals - esp those with camping on site etc seem like a pipe dream

1 hour ago, Redwinevino said:

Experts don't expect this to happen till 2024, which is a worry if the festival can survive not happening for that long

Pubs etc will surely return as they were before then, but full festivals - esp those with camping on site etc seem like a pipe dream

I think you're being extreme here. What you are suggesting is a completely shift in human behaviour and that society has been permanently changed to be more isolated. By that view sporting events, Olympics, marathons e.c.t will no longer be allowed. Camping makes utterly no difference.  If that is the case, large sectors of the economy will collapse. Like I said, the Spanish Flu had a much higher death rate and people went back to normal.

The UK will be vaccinated well before 2024. We will be restriction free by next year guaranteed. I mean look at NZ 

https://www.nme.com/news/music/tens-of-thousands-attend-new-zealand-festivals-without-having-to-socially-distance-2849016

They literally had a 20,000 people at a gig. The pandemic has hasn't effected the younger generations significantly in a health sense. I think the number of people under 50 who has died is tiny ( understand there is long term effects which I'm not being flippant on). We are gagging for to return to normality and I guarantee you once we're all vaccinated and restrictions are over I will be in the pub with all my mates hugging and with no masks. 

28 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

I think you're being extreme here. What you are suggesting is a completely shift in human behaviour and that society has been permanently changed to be more isolated. By that view sporting events, Olympics, marathons e.c.t will no longer be allowed. Camping makes utterly no difference.  If that is the case, large sectors of the economy will collapse. Like I said, the Spanish Flu had a much higher death rate and people went back to normal.

The UK will be vaccinated well before 2024. We will be restriction free by next year guaranteed. I mean look at NZ 

https://www.nme.com/news/music/tens-of-thousands-attend-new-zealand-festivals-without-having-to-socially-distance-2849016

They literally had a 20,000 people at a gig. The pandemic has hasn't effected the younger generations significantly in a health sense. I think the number of people under 50 who has died is tiny ( understand there is long term effects which I'm not being flippant on). We are gagging for to return to normality and I guarantee you once we're all vaccinated and restrictions are over I will be in the pub with all my mates hugging and with no masks. 

I was about to post on the camping thing .... we allowed camping last summer didnt we ? I cant remember any restrictions on that ?

8 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I was about to post on the camping thing .... we allowed camping last summer didnt we ? I cant remember any restrictions on that ?

I get the point on camping, you're in a very small, basically poor ventilation (read no ventilation) with other people. Its completely wrong way to think about the risk as everything else is much more risky.

TBH this whole thread is less pessimistic and more illogical. If festivals can't go ahead next year neither can any sports, any marathons, music gigs, Grand national, Oxford street closed e.c.t. Its game over. You can and will do nothing for a virus which there is a vaccine and is generally not especially deadly to people below 50 (please don't read that as I don't care about people who die from it. I take it seriously and follow the rules) 

35 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

there were camping festivals which happened.

I don't think any issue has really been raised about camping being worse for covid spread. Don't forget, the people camping would be doing something with minor risks if they weren't camping.

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

there were camping festivals which happened.

I don't think any issue has really been raised about camping being worse for covid spread. Don't forget, the people camping would be doing something with minor risks if they weren't camping.

I guess there would be some that were sharing with people that they wouldn't normally share with ... but also many who would share with a partner or like me have a tent to themselves ...  we had quite a lot of outside stuff last year that didnt seem to be a big driver of transmission ... Beaches , marches etc .... that plus the vaccine definately gives me hope of some outdoor events with decent numbers 

Assuming you’ve also got things like rule of 6 (or more than likely no such rules) at the same time then camping is an irrelevance. Sure, if you or someone in your tent has it you’ll likely get it/pass it on, but the rules at the time will equally allow you to go to a mates house where the same would happen. It’s mostly about perception with events, things like camping and ‘unsanitary conditions’ get brought up, but they’re red herrings really. The risk is close contact on crowds, which of course happens a lot at a festival and hence why they’re still in doubt for the summer, but everything else associated with them is just noise really. 

It's not going to take until 2024 to get back to normal 😂 back in February I suggested this virus was likely to kill at least 100,000 in the UK to my friends and family. I was labelled a conspiracy theorist. At the same time I predicted a decline in the summer and then said the peak would double in winter because of lock down fatigue. I also said we'd be back to normal by summer 2021. Now I'm no mystic but I'm backing myself to be right again. Anything to suggest we won't be back to normal for a few years yet is just not logical. I'm screenshotting this and will repost from a festival this summer

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

The risk is close contact on crowds, which of course happens a lot at a festival

it does, but some of it is displacement contact (which they'd have with someone else if they weren't at a fest), while the actual number of people someone might come into close contact with might be smaller than many people think - particularly as some of the people close to a person for all of the time are likely to be their friends, so even in a crowd a person isn't normally surrounded by randoms on all sides.

12 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

it does, but some of it is displacement contact (which they'd have with someone else if they weren't at a fest), while the actual number of people someone might come into close contact with might be smaller than many people think - particularly as some of the people close to a person for all of the time are likely to be their friends, so even in a crowd a person isn't normally surrounded by randoms on all sides.

I agree and is something I’ve said all along, what would all the asymptomatic infected people be doing Wednesday to Sunday if they weren’t at Glastonbury? They could quite easily infect just as many people going about their normal lives.

Although testing would be problematic for festivals, I’ve no doubt that if it was made a proviso for festivals to go ahead then most would make it work. And if they did make it work, naturally that testing would weed some infected people out who would then have to self isolate at home. So in reality of a festival went ahead with any sort of testing programme then you could easily offset any extra spread on top of how much spread would be happening anyway elsewhere if the festival wasn’t on.

19 minutes ago, Rex2 said:

It's not going to take until 2024 to get back to normal 😂 back in February I suggested this virus was likely to kill at least 100,000 in the UK to my friends and family. I was labelled a conspiracy theorist. At the same time I predicted a decline in the summer and then said the peak would double in winter because of lock down fatigue. I also said we'd be back to normal by summer 2021. Now I'm no mystic but I'm backing myself to be right again. Anything to suggest we won't be back to normal for a few years yet is just not logical. I'm screenshotting this and will repost from a festival this summer

You reckon there will be festivals this summer? Think your other predictions were sound but personally I can't see summer being back to normal. Literally need every restriction lifted and I can't see that happening . If I can't have a beer with 10 of my mates without masks then I can't see a festival going ahead 

13 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

You reckon there will be festivals this summer? Think your other predictions were sound but personally I can't see summer being back to normal. Literally need every restriction lifted and I can't see that happening . If I can't have a beer with 10 of my mates without masks then I can't see a festival going ahead 

There's a vaccine which everyone will have been offered by mid summer. 

This peak is much earlier than the one we had last year where cases dropped pretty rapidly in the summer months

I pretty much based my predictions on the 1918 flu which was over within a couple of years. People never learn from history

There might be some restrictions early summer like mask wearing indoors etc but there's literally no need to maintain this once everyone's been offered a vaccine. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Redwinevino said:

After reading about half of the 50th book, one thing that i am 100% confident about is that Glastonbury will not end until the Eavi decide to end it. It may end up being dorment for X number of years but it will be back.

6 hours ago, aj6658 said:

Its true that people have a very short memory but after such a long period of being restricted, i believe it will have an effect on certain people. Here in NZ its really like nothing has ever happened, its a constant battle to remind people that the virus is only the other side of a hotel door away, but generally people haven't changed at all here. i do think that large parts of the world and in particular the UK will have long term effects on their behaviour because of this last year and the duration of the restrictions and the impacts on health.

With regards to bouncing back and comparisons to previous pandemics, the world and the people in / on it are very different now, people's bodies and minds have become soft, the internet and social media has changed people so much and its clear to see that the future and our ability to deal with events like this should not be wholly based on previous experiences.